Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You have my permission to start one.
Why does he need your permission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, what if your arm was in a cast for three months because massive fracture (I knew a guy who had that happen...it hurt to look at it) After three months your arm was out and it was thinner and unhealthy as a result of not moving for all that time. So, a doctor prescribed some physical therapy and a small amount of steroids. So, would you say "but doctor, the cast is gone. What about my other arm? Can I have some steroids for that arm and exercise for that one too?"

The doctor would probably look at you like you're crazy and say "ah, that arm didn't have a history of being in a cast for three months and so it doesn't need it. It may be out of the cast, but it needs to catch up for having been in the cast."

Same thing with Americans of African descent. Unlike the English, Germans and Dutch we have centuries of being beaten back, oppressed, bamboozled and everything else. Hence, the need for black history month.

And it isn't just Africans either. In America we make a much bigger deal out of Saint Patrick's Day and Columbus Day than we do a day for the English. Why? Because the Irish and the Italians also had it rough for a long time in this nation. The largest mass lynching in American history was actually not of blacks, but of Italians. Even today we have shows like "Jersey Shore" which may as well be black face minstrel shows as well as the "Sopranos" stereotype.

And the Irish were treated badly too, with a milder form of slavery as well as being treated like trash by the establishment during the 1800s-early 1900s.

That is why we have African American history month, Columbus Day, Saint Patrick's Day and Chinese New Year (Chinese had it just as bad as Africans did at many times) It is about undoing the past.
I enjoy reading this, and know that black history is as important as any other peoples' history. However, I never thought of it as "undoing the past".

Whatever the past is, it is full of heritage and richness, along with many lessons for all. I don't think there's a way of "undoing" it, and not sure what you mean by that.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
In 2013; many of those famous "Black" people would claim mixed race or even white IMHO. That's how much attitudes are changing like victorianpunk has said in many CDF threads.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
In 2013; many of those famous "Black" people would claim mixed race or even white IMHO. That's how much attitudes are changing like victorianpunk has said in many CDF threads.
I agree, but they are still African. Half African is better than none.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why does he need your permission?
Oh he doesn't. However, by him asking the question over and over again, it appeared to me as if he was asking for someone's permission. If he wants a White History Month or if anyone else wants a White History Month. Feel FREE to start one. No one is stopping him or them.

Someone decided too, because of hundreds of years of oppression and racism, which still goes on today, to start a Black History Month. Its being celebrated which is what this thread is about. Its not about White History Month, Gay History Month, Irish History Month, but BLACK HISTORY MONTH.

Therefore, his repeated questions, and others, about White History Month are unneeded, uncalled for, and really aren't asked for.

Were here to celebrate the MANY famous black person's, throughout history, who's achievements have been minimized, lied about, covered up, et al by a large group of the worlds population.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Blacks have long been involved in winter sports -- particularly in Canada!
Yes, indeed... but Debi was the first to win an Olympic medal in winter sports! Not to downplay other athletes' contributions, I just thought she deserved a special shout-out for that.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thanks for posting this. I've seen and been in his buildings and houses hundreds of times. I had no idea the architect was African American. His influence on how L.A. looks is huge. I'm especially delighted to find he designed the La Concha and joined the design team for the LAX Theme Building as I'm a huge Googie architecture fan.
There is a cool site a found with a gallery of his work. So many buildings he help design.

http://www.paulrwilliamsproject.org/...ams-architect/

Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Educator and suffrage activist Nannie Helen Burroughs in 1909.

In 1896 helped form the National Association of Colored Women (NACW) to promote political mobilization of Black women and in 1909 founded the National Training School for Women and Girls (later named the Nannie Helen Burroughs School) to prepare students for employment and entrepreneurship. She first gained national recognition in her speech "How the Sisters Are Hindered from Helping," at the National Baptist Convention in 1900

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Susie Baker King Taylor Born a slave and became the 1st African American army nurse. Also the 1st African American to teach openly in a school for former slaves in Georgia. The author of "Reminiscences of My Life in Camp with the 33d United States Colored Troops, Late 1st S.C. Volunteers" she was the only African American woman to publish a memoir of her wartime experiences. Went on to establish & operate 2 schools for colored children of free slaves in Liberty County & Savannah, Georgia.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
And you also have Willie O'Ree, the first Black player in the NHL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies