U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM

9,537 posts, read 9,420,509 times

Advertisements

Aren't there impoverished, crime-ridden, and unhealthy neighborhoods in the most prosperous and cosmopolitan "blue" states of the US? People tend to think great things about Connecticut, but I've heard bad things about the inner cities of Hartford and New Haven. And before you lecture me about how New York City and other paragons of "progressivism" have gentrified a lot of poor neighborhoods, all that does is force poor residents to move elsewhere because they can no longer afford in places where their families have lived for several generations. Before you knock "red states", clean up your own backyard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM

50,701 posts, read 26,743,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Some people do commute to the Permian Basin, but that's a very recent developement with new shale discoveries. (Trust me on that, my work is related to that industry.) So that's not really a factor in the overall economic stability of the city. And you're right, wages in Lubbock aren't high. But they ARE stable, and the cost of living is reasonable. You don't see a lot of boom/bust cycles in salaries there. Lubbock is the largest medical hub between DFW and El Paso, and that industry employs a lot of people, as well as the universities. Of course, it's not for everyone, but it's not a bad place to be when the national economy is in the proverbial crapper.
Yea, I can imagine that its a good place to be for stability because the highs are never too high and the lows are never too low. Lots of people like it that way. I would say that Amarillo is the same way. Abilene too.

Actually, I'd prefer Lubbock over Midland or Odessa. Those towns are pure boom/bust, and they're awful places to see when they go bust. Actually, they're awful when its booming too. lol

Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, I can imagine that its a good place to be for stability because the highs are never too high and the lows are never too low. Lots of people like it that way. I would say that Amarillo is the same way. Abilene too.

Actually, I'd prefer Lubbock over Midland or Odessa. Those towns are pure boom/bust, and they're awful places to see when they go bust. Actually, they're awful when its booming too. lol
I agree, but keep in mind that you're really only discussing the windswept, desolate areas of Texas. There are MANY other vibrant areas of this huge state, which have diverse populations and economies, and which actually have a lot of green, lots of trees, pleasant rolling hills, beautiful views and vistas, and very dynamic metropolitan areas, as well as many charming smaller towns and cities.

Texas is a lot more than the Panhandle or the plains or desert. Like I said, it's a huge state with a lot of diversity of people, climate, terrain, economy, culture, food, you name it.

Here are some typical views of my area:

And a few hours away - the beautiful Hill Country of central Texas:

Galveston:

South Padre:

Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM

But wait - there's more!

Dallas:

Fort Worth:

And:

Austin:

San Antonio:

Houston:

(Houston has TERRIFIC Asian food! Come to think of it, so does Dallas - love me some KoMart in Dallas for authentic ingredients for Asian food!).

El Paso:

Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,608,257 times
Those photos are nice and all but Texas climate sucks with how hot it gets there and how winter is pretty much nonexistent and they have red light scam cameras there too. Texas is overrated.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM

10,165 posts, read 6,496,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Of course, the Magnolia State does has some deep challenges, say experts: Its education system is ranked well below average and it has the highest poverty and obesity rates in the country. Summers are sweltering and mosquito-filled. On top of that, homeowner insurance rates can be very high near the Gulf, especially after Hurricane Katrina, says John Bergland Jr., founder of Bergland Wealth Management in Ridgeland, Miss. What's more, a lot of the smaller towns in the state are isolated rural outposts with little to recommend them.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. Big ouch.

What is your main problem with other states? Some of you act so childish when it comes to this. My state is better than your state. BS. Elementary school banter. This is one big beautiful country, and while there are differences, most people of this country are more alike than different. Your state is no better or worse than any other state. Grow up and see the world as it is. I think one problem we have here is that a lot of you are still wet behind the ears, and really don't know a lot about this country.

The ignorant look at the silly crap that is portrayed on television and take that as reality. If you feel the need that you have to put down others to feel better about yourself, you really have a character defect . It is sad.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Those photos are nice and all but Texas climate sucks with how hot it gets there and how winter is pretty much nonexistent and they have red light scam cameras there too. Texas is overrated.
You do realize that this is just your opinion, right? Which you are certainly entitled to. Don't come to Texas. Don't live here. Fine by me. I love it here! I love the weather - ESPECIALLY the beautiful, mild winters! As for "red light scam cameras" I don't worry about them because I don't run red lights. I've been driving in Texas for 25 years with no problem and no complaints.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What is your main problem with other states? Some of you act so childish when it comes to this. My state is better than your state. BS. Elementary school banter. This is one big beautiful country, and while there are differences, most people of this country are more alike than different. Your state is no better or worse than any other state. Grow up and see the world as it is. I think one problem we have here is that a lot of you are still wet behind the ears, and really don't know a lot about this country.

The ignorant look at the silly crap that is portrayed on television and take that as reality. If you feel the need that you have to put down others to feel better about yourself, you really have a character defect . It is sad.
You said it well.

I've traveled to probably 35 states and I found something to like about every one of them. I could be happy living just about anywhere - because I am a joyful, contented person. I could be happy in Massachusetts as well as New Mexico.

But Texas really does rock.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM

15,736 posts, read 9,257,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You clearly have seen no stats about what a mess Repub states are. Merely saying something is such-and-such way doesn't make it reality. Grow up.
Which is exactly what you did. Where are your stats as to the so-called mess of GOP states?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM

15,736 posts, read 9,257,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Texas is probably the only Republican state that isn't one hot mess and it has geology to thank. Like the Ghawar Oil Field in Saudi Arabia, Texas is sitting on some oil, and its rich and some of the rest are doing quite nicely thanks to pure geological luck and nothing else.

Texas Gold - The New York Times > Business > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 10
Ah yes, liberals their "luck". Ignoring a conservative mindset that spends less than it takes in. That keeps government out of businesses hair. That creates a business environment that is desirable, bringing in more folks, then more business, and on and on, thus creating more revenue.

As for hot messes, 2 of the biggest hot messes right now are California and New York, both blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies