Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You said it well.

I've traveled to probably 35 states and I found something to like about every one of them. I could be happy living just about anywhere - because I am a joyful, contented person. I could be happy in Massachusetts as well as New Mexico.

But Texas really does rock.

Beautiful pictures of Texas. I can see why people like it there. It definitely would be a place that I would live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, oil is a HUGE reason why the area is booming. No, Lubbock itself doesn't have a huge oil and gas industry, but it sits right above the Permian Basin where oil and gas exploration is going bananas. A lot of those guys in Lubbock are working in the oilfields for days at a time and coming home for weekend stays. It's not like Lubbock has a whole bunch of high paying jobs....they don't. The University is probably the biggest employer in the city, and i'm sure pay is decent over there. Otherwise, unless you're a professional or a land/ranch owner, you're not gonna make much money in Lubbock. Wages aren't that good.

That said, i'm sure the place appeals to someone (obviously), but i find the panhandle to be a hellhole of mass proportions.
There are a lot of states that sit on gas and oil reserves, yet are doing crappy. So no, just having those resources available doesn't guarantee a good economy.

It doesn't matter what wages are. It only matters what wages are in relation to cost of living.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Beautiful pictures of Texas. I can see why people like it there. It definitely would be a place that I would live.
Come on down! It's 65 degrees here today. About to go do a little work in my yard...

Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You clearly have seen no stats about what a mess Repub states are. Merely saying something is such-and-such way doesn't make it reality. Grow up.
Please tell us what stats say how good a state is.

Can you tell me why Illinois is such a "good" state? What stats make it so?

Texas isn't a mess. You may not like it, but Texas is doing quite well.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Come on down! It's 65 degrees here today. About to go do a little work in my yard...
It's 80+ here, you must be in north Texas.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's 80+ here, you must be in north Texas.
Yes, I am! Northeast to be exact. Well, sort of exact! LOL

Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Don't know how they cooked this up....but....they ARE full of it.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Texas is probably the only Republican state that isn't one hot mess and it has geology to thank. Like the Ghawar Oil Field in Saudi Arabia, Texas is sitting on some oil, and its rich and some of the rest are doing quite nicely thanks to pure geological luck and nothing else.

Texas Gold - The New York Times > Business > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 10
Do you think California created its good weather and coastlines?

Every state has good and bad features completely owed to mother nature.

Texas benefits from its oil and natural gas. Don't forget its farmland and ranches. Its state government has evolved to leverage its strengths.

Michigan is a blue state. So is Illinois. Are these states humming along? Yup those public schools are in good shape. Crime too. Are their problems caused by geography?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:28 PM

Hey, more good news for Texas!

2012 Best-Performing Cities - 179 Smallest Metros

The Milken Institute lists FOUR Texas cities in the top ten performing small cities in the US 2012 list. I live right in between two of these cities and I can attest to the economic vigor of this area.

Three of these fine Texas towns are in the top ten for 5 year job growth. Three Texas towns are in the top ten for 1 year job growth. And three Texas towns are in the top five year wages/salary growth. (Not all the same three towns by the way.)

WOOHOOOOOO!!!! Proud to be a Texan - but of course that feeling is very familiar to me. Love this state.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Michigan is a blue state. So is Illinois. Are these states humming along? Yup those public schools are in good shape. Crime too. Are their problems caused by geography?
From what I know of Illinois, they're doing fine. Chicago is a rich city for that part of the USA and the rest is just corn fields. Michigan is bad all over but that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies