U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,702 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63275

Advertisements

Will those who want to debate about abortion please move the argument to another thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Volunteer State
1,243 posts, read 936,317 times
Reputation: 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Tennessee is a BEAUTIFUL state! From east to west. My husband and I go there often since he works quite a bit up in West Virginia.

I hate to admit it, but Memphis BBQ gives TX BBQ a run for the money.
Unfortunately, I'm probably closer to getting Boston baked beans than Memphis BBQ, considering I'm in the opposite corner of the state. But my aunt brings in TX BBQ when she flies in from San Antonio. Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
 
50,541 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Reputation: 15805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
California would be one state.

As for the rest of your argument, it's quite apparent that economics isn't your strong suit, and your attitude tells me you'll never change your argument.
Show me a place where 10 bucks an hour is good money, then you'll have an argument.

Economics isn't your strong suit either. Applying academic arguments about wages indexed to cost of living is nice, but it ain't the real world. Tell someone that makes barely more than minimum wage about it being ok because their "cost of living isn't so bad." They'll look at you like youre nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,538,575 times
Reputation: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there are a couple of issues here: 1-very few states have absolutely no adortions and 2-believe it or not, those poverty families are not the ones having abortions. Young women choosing abortion are apt to be college girls, some still in high school and young professional women who do not want a child. If you know of women who have had abortions, take a good look at them, how many are poor single women? How many women on welfare have more than one child and no husband? These women can get abortions if they choose, they choose not to, but would rathing keep their babies, why? for many reasons. Look at the Hispanic families? They do not abort, instead they choose to live, sometimes more than 3 generations under the same roof. I saw this in NM all the time. The same with inner city young girls. A series of articles appear in the Washington Post several years ago about the black youth in DC. Young girls were interviewed and openly said, it is a sign of growing up when you get pregnant, often by 14. Now, tell me there is a real connection between the availability of abortions and poverty.
I can't say I know about black families, but Hispanic families do NOT choose to keep all unwanted pregnancies. I'm Hispanic. I should know. It is a conversation within Hispanic communities - did so-and-so keep the pregnancy or not? Very casual, and a very important conversation. No doubt Catholics force the anti-abortion fear, but regardless, Hispanics still avail themselves of abortion when they know the pregnancy would be a really, really bad idea.

People who are smart do NOT keep an unwanted pregnancy if it will cause turmoil, financial hardship, and suffering inside the family.

And here's the thing - women in college, professional women, and women with money will ALWAYS be able to obtain abortions, whether the Bible-banging Vagina Patrol likes it or not. I know I'm in a position to go anywhere at all to have an abortion if I choose to have one. And the only one that's going to tell me if I want an abortion is ME. It's my vagina, my uterus, my body, and I'm the sole owner of it, and will do with it what I damned well please because it is my body.

I don't try to force the Bible-banging Vagina Patrol to go get an education instead of being such complete ignoramuses. I expect them to stay out of my vagina. In fact, I resent this very conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,638,084 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But he may not be able to tolerate that marijuana and same sex marriage have been legalized there.
Guess he's in trouble when the Supreme Court legalizes same-sex marriage everywhere. Not sure why that would stop him from living there. He isn't required to marry someone of the same-sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,388 posts, read 8,337,704 times
Reputation: 4070
Default The Ten worst States to retire in

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Shocker. They are all Red States. And somehow I'm supposed to listen to people from these states when they tell me how the country should be run?

10 Worst States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

I recently moved to New Mexico and I'm approaching retirement age. I like it here and will probably stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
 
1,970 posts, read 1,486,653 times
Reputation: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Shocker. They are all Red States. And somehow I'm supposed to listen to people from these states when they tell me how the country should be run?

10 Worst States For Retirement | Bankrate.com
The list is pure BS but hey, if it keeps you libs out then it is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Austin Texas
474 posts, read 761,800 times
Reputation: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I can't say I know about black families, but Hispanic families do NOT choose to keep all unwanted pregnancies. I'm Hispanic. I should know. It is a conversation within Hispanic communities - did so-and-so keep the pregnancy or not? Very casual, and a very important conversation. No doubt Catholics force the anti-abortion fear, but regardless, Hispanics still avail themselves of abortion when they know the pregnancy would be a really, really bad idea.

People who are smart do NOT keep an unwanted pregnancy if it will cause turmoil, financial hardship, and suffering inside the family.

And here's the thing - women in college, professional women, and women with money will ALWAYS be able to obtain abortions, whether the Bible-banging Vagina Patrol likes it or not. I know I'm in a position to go anywhere at all to have an abortion if I choose to have one. And the only one that's going to tell me if I want an abortion is ME. It's my vagina, my uterus, my body, and I'm the sole owner of it, and will do with it what I damned well please because it is my body.

I don't try to force the Bible-banging Vagina Patrol to go get an education instead of being such complete ignoramuses. I expect them to stay out of my vagina. In fact, I resent this very conversation.
I hope no one argues with you about your vagina.

But since it is yours and no one else's, abortion would never be an issue for you if you controlled what happened in that vagina (assuming no criminal acts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,528,496 times
Reputation: 9216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
The way people should live, should be:

One poor family - one rich family - one middle class family - one poor family - one rich family - one middle class family, and so on.

Yeah, of course everyone's going to call me crazy, but the world would have to behave differently if that were the case.
Let's just say this could happen somewhere. Maybe through an act of Harry Potter-like magic.

How long do you think it would last? What exactly do you think would happen?

I think much of the world's population self segregates over time. It could be driven by language, age, religion, race, country of origin, sexual preference, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM
 
1,085 posts, read 1,583,859 times
Reputation: 768
State-wide crime rate is a poor statistic to use. Even in the states with the worst rates, local crime rates are going to vary widely and there are bound to be many communities where crime is so low as to be a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top