U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM

44,320 posts, read 35,852,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Of course, I hope you realize that the reason it is incredibly cheap is because most of it is crap. The reason California's property prices are so high is because so many people with money want to live here. Sure, you can buy a house in Lubbock for $20,000 but don't even try to pretend that's for any other reason than because everyone who can afford better went some where else the second they could. Price is set by the market based on supply and demand with more desirable places costing more money.
I really don't know what you're going on about.

You can't buy a decent house anywhere for $20,000 - no, not even in Lubbock. In our area, the average house price is about $200,000 - but oh my, what a nice spacious comfortable house that $200k buys!

If Texas was such a terrible place to live, we wouldn't have these stats:

Life down here is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,591,892 times
I just know Mitt Romney is going to retire in California.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 PM

45,609 posts, read 33,869,749 times
Despite the endless lists of best and worst places to retire, most folk stay planted in their pre retirement areas, especially if it gives them proximity to their family.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 PM

491 posts, read 662,068 times
How would I know my state would be on this list. Then again we are usually on any list of worst states. The good thing about living here it is pretty cheap compared to other places though the wages are lower to.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 AM

50,026 posts, read 26,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You are confusing personal preference with fact. Many people in the ten beautiful states highlighted by the OP's link would detest living in an ultra-dense urban environment...which are common in blue states and less common in red states. If your idea of home includes a decent amount of land, not some timy walk-up apartment, maybe a red state would suit better. If crime rates are low because no one ventures out after dark and everyone has three sets of locks on each door and alarms on all the windows, the low crime rate is not exactly an indicator of high-quality lifestyles. If a momentary lack of bus fumes has you thinking the air is fresh and clean, a blue state is for you.

I'm not saying that a rural, small town or suburban liifestyle is better than an urban one--I'm just saying that which is better is a matter of personal preference, not fact.
Ultra dense urban areas are just as common in red states as they are in blue ones.

I don't know how many times I have to keep telling people that America is pretty much the same darn country regardless of where you go. Rural people are generally the same, and urban people are pretty much the same. Atlanta is really not much different than Philadelphia. Sure, they look different and Philly is certainly more cosmopolitan (its older), but a concrete jungle is just that...doesn't change just because one is down south and the other is up north.

Same for rural locales. Small town people in Arkansas won't really be much different than small town people in Minnesota. The dynamic is the same. Small town Minnesotans are conservative, more laid back, and will profess to religion being a bigger part of their lives than people will in Minneapolis.

Believe it or not, rural blue staters cling to their guns, religion, etc. no less than rural red staters.

Quote:
Of course, I hope you realize that the reason it is incredibly cheap is because most of it is crap. The reason California's property prices are so high is because so many people with money want to live here. Sure, you can buy a house in Lubbock for $20,000 but don't even try to pretend that's for any other reason than because everyone who can afford better went some where else the second they could. Price is set by the market based on supply and demand with more desirable places costing more money.
I don't think you can buy a decent home in Lubbock for 20k, but anything more than $20 bucks is too expensive for that place. The Texas Panhandle has gotta be one of the crappiest places on Earth.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,225 posts, read 13,973,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
How would I know my state would be on this list. Then again we are usually on any list of worst states. The good thing about living here it is pretty cheap compared to other places though the wages are lower to.
and yet "retired living" rated Charleston SC as one of the BEST places to retire

Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,517,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really don't know what you're going on about.

You can't buy a decent house anywhere for $20,000 - no, not even in Lubbock. In our area, the average house price is about $200,000 - but oh my, what a nice spacious comfortable house that $200k buys!

If Texas was such a terrible place to live, we wouldn't have these stats:
Texas is probably the only Republican state that isn't one hot mess and it has geology to thank. Like the Ghawar Oil Field in Saudi Arabia, Texas is sitting on some oil, and its rich and some of the rest are doing quite nicely thanks to pure geological luck and nothing else.

Texas Gold - The New York Times > Business > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 10

Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 AM

429 posts, read 744,593 times
Quote:
Houses in Lubbock aren't that cheap. Why not? High demand. Here's a quote from the Wall Street Journal, naming it one of the best-run cities in America:

"Lubbock, located in Northwestern Texas, benefits from a relatively stable economy. Home values in the city increased by more than 14% between 2007 and 2011, higher than all but two of the 100 most populous cities. Foreclosures in Lubbock were next to non-existent in 2011. The unemployment rate of 6.1% in 2011 was the sixth-lowest of all large cities."

Lubbock does not have a big oil and gas industry, so that's not the reason demand is high. It's also not the scenery people are moving there for. It's for the economic stability brought on by responsible fiscal policies implemented by local businesses and governmental entities.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,460,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Shocker. They are all Red States. And somehow I'm supposed to listen to people from these states when they tell me how the country should be run?

10 Worst States For Retirement | Bankrate.com
Almost every article posted by bankrate.com is garbage.

Among other things it treats each state as if it were a single homogeneous entity. In most of these states there are terrible places to live (and retire) and some wonderful places.

The article COMPLETELY ignores economic factors. Never mentions cost of living, taxation, medical care, etc.

Money magazine ranks Albuquerqe NM as on of the 25 BEST places to retire. Others include Louisville KY, Tuscon, Austin, Winston-Salem, St. George UT, St. Augustine Fl, etc. Only Portland OR is a strong blue state city in that list.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM

50,026 posts, read 26,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Houses in Lubbock aren't that cheap. Why not? High demand. Here's a quote from the Wall Street Journal, naming it one of the best-run cities in America:

"Lubbock, located in Northwestern Texas, benefits from a relatively stable economy. Home values in the city increased by more than 14% between 2007 and 2011, higher than all but two of the 100 most populous cities. Foreclosures in Lubbock were next to non-existent in 2011. The unemployment rate of 6.1% in 2011 was the sixth-lowest of all large cities."

Lubbock does not have a big oil and gas industry, so that's not the reason demand is high. It's also not the scenery people are moving there for. It's for the economic stability brought on by responsible fiscal policies implemented by local businesses and governmental entities.
Actually, oil is a HUGE reason why the area is booming. No, Lubbock itself doesn't have a huge oil and gas industry, but it sits right above the Permian Basin where oil and gas exploration is going bananas. A lot of those guys in Lubbock are working in the oilfields for days at a time and coming home for weekend stays. It's not like Lubbock has a whole bunch of high paying jobs....they don't. The University is probably the biggest employer in the city, and i'm sure pay is decent over there. Otherwise, unless you're a professional or a land/ranch owner, you're not gonna make much money in Lubbock. Wages aren't that good.

That said, i'm sure the place appeals to someone (obviously), but i find the panhandle to be a hellhole of mass proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies