U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
 
657 posts, read 591,008 times
Reputation: 437

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Your god sounds like somewhat of a jerk.

may god forgive u!!!! repent you must ..............

 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Whereever we have our RV parked
8,681 posts, read 7,649,264 times
Reputation: 14848
I've read quite a few of the posts on this thread. I've come to one conclusion. Our country is well on its way toward becoming a dictatorship.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,664,839 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've read quite a few of the posts on this thread. I've come to one conclusion. Our country is well on its way toward becoming a dictatorship.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
 
8,399 posts, read 5,292,989 times
Reputation: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
You have to understand that for conservatives freedom means being able to discriminate against certain groups.

They truly believe that the government not enforcing their homophobic or anti-muslim or anti- illegal immigrant, or etc views is a limit to their freedom.

conservatives always argue in favor of discrimination on the basis that it is freedom and that the government should protect and enforce their freedom to discriminate against other Americans.

It is a sick world view, but these are the beliefs of conservatives.

Totalitarianism to conservatives is the government preventing people from discriminating against other Americans. They really see it like that.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,664,839 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You have to understand that for conservatives freedom means being able to discriminate against certain groups.

They truly believe that the government not enforcing their homophobic or anti-muslim or anti- illegal immigrant, or etc views is a limit to their freedom.

conservatives always argue in favor of discrimination on the basis that it is freedom and that the government should protect and enforce their freedom to discriminate against other Americans.


It is a sick world view, but these are the beliefs of conservatives.

Totalitarianism to conservatives is the government preventing people from discriminating against other Americans. They really see it like that.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
6,912 posts, read 4,404,612 times
Reputation: 2745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've read quite a few of the posts on this thread. I've come to one conclusion. Our country is well on its way toward becoming a dictatorship.
Agreed there are a slew of posters that want to ram their ideology down the whole countries throat and it comes from both sides.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
8,494 posts, read 6,111,397 times
Reputation: 8390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Agreed there are a slew of posters that want to ram their ideology down the whole countries throat and it comes from both sides.
That it does.

Guns, guns, and more guns from the right and "gay" marriage, "climate change" tyranny from the left.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM
 
6,633 posts, read 6,806,540 times
Reputation: 10014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How did Kosher butchers and restaurants exist for so long and not get sued by Christians for discrimination ?
They're specialty shops. You don't expect a butcher to sell you fine chocolates, do you?
 
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
 
Location: SoCal & Mid-TN
2,197 posts, read 2,130,764 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The baker has to specifically make this cake for the occasion. It's not like the cake is already made and the customer just walks in and buys it. We don't know if she specified anything unique about the cake. Still, it is different to order something to be made than to buy it off the shelf. It is more personal to the person making it. The baker found out the use for the cake and was not comfortable doing the job. Suppose it wasn't for a wedding but for something else he disagreed with? Are there any limits?

What if say, a caterer was a lesbian and only wanted to do gay functions - sue her? Should a female dress maker be forced to make a dress for a man? What if the dressmaker is a Muslim?
This is a thorny issue. What if I was a dressmaker and the KKK wanted me to make some robes for them? They are a perfectly legal organization. Can I say no because I don't agree with them?

Does it make a difference that it is a small business? What about it if is a service that is readily available at other businesses vs one that was the sole provider of a service in an area?
 
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,395 posts, read 3,725,242 times
Reputation: 7795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
So where do you draw a line...Lets say a couple went to a Jewish baker and requested that he bake a cake with Hitler's photo...And he refused...should he be forced to bake that cake...
Now you're not talking about a customer at all. You're talking about an act of intimidation and harassment. No couple in the real world would ask a Jewish baker for a cake with Hitler's likeness on it. Let's stay in the real world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top