U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM

13,919 posts, read 19,091,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If so, then it will be for the Lord to chasten me. The meaning of God's Word is clear.
Actually it's not clear (hence the debate between theologians).

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM

15,723 posts, read 9,610,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinerinker View Post
Personal feelings set aside.

A private business owner has the right to away any business he or she does not want to do, for whatever reason they see fit. This is not a government agency that is serving the people and they are under no obligation to do business with any person.
The government really has no standing in investigating this business for turning away anyone.
You are incorrect. Both Federal and State law dictate businesses of public accommodation (restaurants, hotels, inns, etc.) cannot refuse anyone they want. There are exceptions.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Got plenty thanks. You?
You've proven otherwise on this board. Everyone of your posts is patently wrong and offensive. God does not side with you.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,092,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You've proven otherwise on this board. Everyone of your posts is patently wrong and offensive. God does not side with you.
I'll let God decide that.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 AM

12,053 posts, read 6,636,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes they are complicated. Wedding photography, wedding catering, wedding hosting all fall in that category. Yet courts ruled in favor of the gays who were discriminated against.

This is a new civil rights movement and gays today are what Blacks were in the 60's.
People are going to have to shut their mouths and belly up to the table if they want to play in the US.
Gay marriage isn't legal in Oregon, so I would think forcing a company to cater or photograph a gay wedding in that state might be an issue.

I wonder if this bakery was supposed to deliver and set up the cake at the non-legal wedding, or deliver it to Washington since gay marriage is illegal in Oregon. Or does the government force companies to do ceremonial only type weddings too?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,663,824 times
Quote:
Homosexual activity is a sin, but we've already had this circular conversation before. Go on sinning and believing in sin, but judgment will come to who refuse to acknowledge their sins and repent.
Dang! There's that term you are so fond of again!

"Homosexual activity." What exactly is "homosexual activity" (please be specific) and why is it a sin?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I had to google this:

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

That guy is yet another christian hypocrite.
Typical cherry picking of what parts of the bible they choose to follow.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
ROMANS 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
So.....how do you feel about that baker dude's tattoo?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'll let God decide that.
He already did. Matthew 7. And if you're content on letting God do the decision making, why do you spend your entire time on this board condemning people you disagree with? That's all you do is judge and talk about what an abomination gays are. I've never even heard you discuss other sins. Only gays. You're obviously hiding something, like your hatred of your own same-sex attractions.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,138,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Gay marriage isn't legal in Oregon, so I would think forcing a company to cater or photograph a gay wedding in that state might be an issue.

I wonder if this bakery was supposed to deliver and set up the cake at the non-legal wedding, or deliver it to Washington since gay marriage is illegal in Oregon. Or does the government force companies to do ceremonial only type weddings too?
Filing a same-sex civil marriage license in Oregon is "illegal" (it's simply not recognized - no crime has been committed and no judgement is rendered). Instead, Oregon has domestic partnerships for same-sex couples. One can certainly have a wedding to celebrate a domestic partnership. And even if no paperwork (marriage or domestic partnership) is filed with the state, religious or otherwise private marriages and weddings - be they gay, straight, or between man and cat - are perfectly legal.

This business discriminated against these people due to the fact that they are homosexuals. They will bake wedding cakes for heterosexuals but not for homosexuals. That is against Oregon law. Oregon does not let you discriminate against people due to their sexual orientation in commercial transactions.

Last edited by hammertime33; 02-05-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies