U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,947,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Yeah, well the Christian baker had crosses hanging in plain view. Maybe he doesn't carry carpet munching ingredients, eh?
Ignoring the rude (and possibly TOS-violating) last bit, what about crosses = we hate gays?? I know many gay-friendly Christians, churches, even Christians who are openly gay themselves. Nice try, but that doesn't mean squat.

Wish all Christians were this Christ-like...

http://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_chur...d_a_church.htm

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
He's refusing to supply a product for a ceremony which is at odds with traditional Christian marriage between a man and a woman.
That may be your opinion or interpretation, but many people (and the law in some states) would disagree... besides, none of that is relevant to the laws of discrimination. Since my synagogue doesn't perform inter-faith ceremonies, should I be able to refuse service to any inter-faith couples who enter my workplace? Maybe I can refuse them at temple, but not in a place of business - be it private or publicly-funded.

Quote:
Look, I have gay friends. They would find a nice gay baker to make their wedding cake. Good grief, why do SOME gays have to make it more difficult for ALL gays by being such pains in the arse? If they guy has a problem with homosexuality, take your business elsewhere!
Do your gay friends know you think they should find a "gay baker?" Or do they (mistakenly) think you'd support their right to spend money ANYWHERE they please? If you were my friend, and told me "just find a Jewish baker if nobody else will serve you," you wouldn't be my friend for long.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM

3,178 posts, read 1,688,757 times
Gizmo how do you reconcile your 'libertarianism' with legislation forcing a baker to sell to gay customers? Why not let him pick who he sells to?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM

7,361 posts, read 2,377,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And yet whenever I challenge a Christian to show me where homosexuality is condemned, they (almost ALWAYS) cite OT passages. Pick and choose much?
I hope you realize there are Christians who actually believe in following relevant Old Testament law. Please don't assume what Christians. There are in fact dietary law practicing, Sabbath keeping Christians (Friday sunset to Saturday sunset). A minority, yes, but significant enough. And some of us, myself included, would not have an issue providing the cake for the couple.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM

12,063 posts, read 6,647,624 times
Who here hasn't been discriminated against? Did you go running to some authority to punish them or did you move on and choose to stay away from them?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,667,535 times
Quote:

WASHINGTON The Washington National Cathedral had been ready to embrace same-sex marriage for some time, though it took a series of recent events and a new leader for the prominent, 106-year-old church to announce Wednesday that it would begin hosting such nuptials.

The key development came last July when the Episcopal Church approved a ceremony for same-sex unions at its General Convention in Indianapolis, followed by the legalization of gay marriage in Maryland, which joined the District of Columbia. The national church made a special allowance for marriage ceremonies in states where gay marriage is legal.
Gay Marriage Victory: Washington National Cathedral To Perform Same-Sex Weddings

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Oh, looky here... I just checked out that link (I posted above), and there are 137 listed gay-friendly churches in Oregon. What was that you were saying about crosses and Christian beliefs? And what was Bideshi saying about the "word of G-d being clear?"

http://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_chur.../us_oregon.htm

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,142,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Who here hasn't been discriminated against? Did you go running to some authority to punish them or did you move on and choose to stay away from them?
How do you mean?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Gizmo how do you reconcile your 'libertarianism' with legislation forcing a baker to sell to gay customers? Why not let him pick who he sells to?
I don't have to reconcile anything, since I don't live by a political (or religious) doctrine... I am simply ME, and my views aren't required to follow lock-step with any political handbook. Not to mention, when did I ever express my opinions on whether these laws should exist? Wish they didn't have to, but as I stated earlier, our citizens have proven themselves to be incapable of fair business & hiring practices without them. Sad that we have to govern such things, isn't it?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
I hope you realize there are Christians who actually believe in following relevant Old Testament law. Please don't assume what Christians. There are in fact dietary law practicing, Sabbath keeping Christians (Friday sunset to Saturday sunset). A minority, yes, but significant enough. And some of us, myself included, would not have an issue providing the cake for the couple.
I was mostly directing that comment at Bideshi specifically, and I know him well enough (from this forum) to know he is hypocritical about those things. Unlike some people here, I'm not painting ANY group with a broad brush... in fact, I just wrote above how Christian doesn't necessarily = anti-gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies