Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those with strong religious beliefs will be driven out of business..one lawsuit at a time.
That is their choice to make. If it happens, they only have themselves to blame.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
In order for someone running a public business to discriminate against a group of people the government has to make that discrimination legal.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

This the choice. In order for that baker to discriminate against homosexuals, the government has to make that discrimination legal. It has to say it is the law that you can discriminate against homosexuals and not serve them. The government then has to enforce what it makes legal.

This creates second class citizens of homosexuals. It can't be allowed in a just society.

We had the passage of civil rights bill nearly 50 years ago. These ideas were adjudicated. The discrimination is freedom argument lost. It lost in the courts and it lost in the government.

Yet conservatives are still making the argument that discrimination is freedom.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Let's be clear. If the lesbians walked into the bakery and simply bought some cookies or a loaf of bread, I'm sure the owner wouldn't have thrown them out or told them not to return. HOWEVER, the lesbian wanted to CONTRACT the baker to make a lesbian wedding cake. The owner does not WANT to make a lesbian wedding cake and refuses to enter into the contract. That is his right as a private business owner. He could refuse to enter into a wedding cake contract for a heterosexual couple he found annoying! It is his right.
!
This is how I see it as well but people seem to be having problems making the distinction. They would rather say mean man won't sell cake to nice lady. Contracted services gets more complicated.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is how I see it as well but people seem to be having problems making the distinction. They would rather say mean man won't sell cake to nice lady. Contracted services gets more complicated.
Yes they are complicated. Wedding photography, wedding catering, wedding hosting all fall in that category. Yet courts ruled in favor of the gays who were discriminated against.

This is a new civil rights movement and gays today are what Blacks were in the 60's.
People are going to have to shut their mouths and belly up to the table if they want to play in the US.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Homosexual activity is a sin, but we've already had this circular conversation before. Go on sinning and believing in sin, but judgment will come to who refuse to acknowledge their sins and repent.
Isn't eating cake a sin - gluttony and all?

Baking and selling a cake is not homosexual activity. Buying and eating a cake is not homosexual activity. Baking for profit is not a religious act - it's a commercial one.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Duff Goldman of Charm city cakes has volunteered to make and deliver a cake for this couple.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Education. You should get some.

l]
Got plenty thanks. You?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Got plenty thanks. You?
The nonsense you hear from the pulpit doesn't count, sorry.

P.S - How does it feel to know you are twisting and misrepresenting the lord's word? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he look rather unfavorably on you and your ilk?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Are you telling me that Oregon actually tells a business who they have to do business with? That's wrong.
Not only Oregon, but the Federal Government has as well. Look up the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And the Supreme Court has ruled equal access to public accommodation trumps individual liberty.

That said, business do have leeway to refuse certain types of people that aren't protected under the law. In Oregon, race, religion, disability, and sexual orientation are protected from discrimination by certain businesses.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The nonsense you hear from the pulpit doesn't count, sorry.

P.S - How does it feel to know you are twisting and misrepresenting the lord's word? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he look rather unfavorably on you and your ilk?
If so, then it will be for the Lord to chasten me. The meaning of God's Word is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies