Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't prove anything. I asked you a question. You said "yes" which means you are only proving to yourself that you are right and everyone else is wrong.
No you wrote religious beliefs. You are casting this mans discrimination against homosexuals as religious freedom.

This is what I wrote conservatives always cast discrimination as freedom. Thus you proved me correct. Thank you.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I don't agree with the beliefs of this Oregon baker, but I think legally, there is a distinction between public accomodation and demanding someone use their skills and creativity to provide a service. Public accomodation, such as rooms in a hotel, or a restaurant serving food, does not require customization. A person asking that a restaurant "hold the onions" on their burger is not the degree of customization that creating a wedding cake for a couple requires. And if the lesbian couple argues that a wedding cake is a wedding cake, that they didn't care about personalization, then there are a plethora of places they can purchase a generic wedding cake. It isn't the cake, but the baker's personalized service that the lesbian couple is demanding. That personalized service goes beyond public accomodation, because it requires an individual's skill and creativity be made available to everyone.

I think the baker has a case in that the couple was free to purchase a cake from him, but not to demand services beyond the generic cake, which customization of a wedding cake requires.

Beyond that, it was certainly within the baker's power to say that he couldn't provide the service to the couple. He didn't have to explain why, he could simply have said that his schedule didn't permit his taking on this job.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No you wrote religious beliefs. You are casting this mans discrimination against homosexuals as religious freedom.

This is what I wrote conservatives always cast discrimination as freedom. Thus you proved me correct. Thank you.
Here's my post with the question. I didn't write any "religious beliefs". I asked YOU a question based on your statement about "conservative religious beliefs"....always conservatives and never, ever liberals.
So you know his political affiliation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
Only "conservatives" have religious beliefs ?

Maybe you should double your efforts to eradicate religion from the US and then all the social issues won't face conservative discrimination.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,662 times
Seems like a prime opportunity for a new bakery to meet a need that this baker does not want to meet.

Regardless of your feelings about same sex marriage, you've got to admit it's a customer base that most in the wedding-related industries would love to have paying for their services.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's a damn cake for pete's sake.
It's extreme ideals and calls for action that are getting kids suspended in school for "bubble gum guns".

That guy is not out to take over Oregon or the US. He only wants to operate his local one man bakery the way he wants to in his local community.
I know for conservatives someone trampling on the rights of a hated group is ok. It is just a minor thing that he wants to discriminate against homosexuals and he wants the force of the government to allow him to carry out his discriminatory beliefs.

Well, some homosexuals may not want to live in that world. They want to be able to go into any store and get served without facing discrimination and having the state enforce this discrimination against them.

He should either follow the law or shut his business down and stop attempting to get the state to enforce his prejudices.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't agree with the beliefs of this Oregon baker, but I think legally, there is a distinction between public accomodation and demanding someone use their skills and creativity to provide a service. Public accomodation, such as rooms in a hotel, or a restaurant serving food, does not require customization. A person asking that a restaurant "hold the onions" on their burger is not the degree of customization that creating a wedding cake for a couple requires. And if the lesbian couple argues that a wedding cake is a wedding cake, that they didn't care about personalization, then there are a plethora of places they can purchase a generic wedding cake. It isn't the cake, but the baker's personalized service that the lesbian couple is demanding. That personalized service goes beyond public accomodation, because it requires an individual's skill and creativity be made available to everyone.

I think the baker has a case in that the couple was free to purchase a cake from him, but not to demand services beyond the generic cake, which customization of a wedding cake requires.

Beyond that, it was certainly within the baker's power to say that he couldn't provide the service to the couple. He didn't have to explain why, he could simply have said that his schedule didn't permit his taking on this job.
Yeah, I do agree. People are just going to have to think twice before they turn down business in the future.
Keep it in the gray area where you don't be subject to a civil suit and stiff fines and penalties.

Keep your reasons to yourself because you can't make everyone happy.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Sounds like he could use a little more sugar.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Seems like a prime opportunity for a new bakery to meet a need that this baker does not want to meet.

Regardless of your feelings about same sex marriage, you've got to admit it's a customer base that most in the wedding-related industries would love to have paying for their services.
I know a lot of businesses in Washington saw dollar signs when same sex marriage was passed.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Oh, nuts to his religious views!

Any religion that teaches it is okay to hate and practice discrimination doesn't deserve respect. It is long past time decent, intelligent secularists got in the faces of religious fanatics like this.
It is not hate or discrimination.

It is holding true to your principles.

Who are you to order someone who they should serve?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post

There is a growing industry. It's called "pink money".

Pink money - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies