Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No its not a slippery slope. The store owner can believe anything. The government doesn't control that, but what the store owner wants is for the government to enforce his right to discriminate against homosexuals in his business.
The shop owner is objecting to gay marriage which btw isn't legal in Oregon. That is all. The lesbian couple wanted a same sex marriage WEDDING CAKE, not just a cake.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,554,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because such discrimination led to systemic segregation of blacks in other areas as well, such as schools and public transportation. 60 years ago, most hotels probably wouldn't even sell a room to a black person. What is that black person supposed to do if no one will offer them lodging anywhere they go because of their skin color?

Supreme Court said that's wrong, and the hotel owners personal beliefs do not justify preventing protected classes from having access to their establishment.

Don't like the law, move somewhere else or change it. You can whine all you want, but it is the law and you will be sued if you break it.
who's religion did that violate?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,246,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If I were a bake shop owner, I'd be willing to make wedding cakes for anyone. However, as someone whose parents had some retail furniture stores and has been an antiques dealer, I do reserve the right to serve whoever I want to AND... turn away customers who irk me.
And until annoying people are a protected class, you are well within your rights to do so.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,246,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
gay's want to exterminate Judaism that makes them equivalent to NAZIs in my book.
And how are the gays planning to exterminate Judaism?

I'm pretty sure that everyone who is a Jew now will continue to be a Jew regardless of how many same sex couples marry.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times
Quote:
No its not a slippery slope. The store owner can believe anything. The government doesn't control that, but what the store owner wants is for the government to enforce his right to discriminate against homosexuals in his business.

He cannot discriminate without the government enforcing his discrimination, that's the slippery slope.

Where we somehow argue that even though the government enforces discrimination against certain groups of Americans, somehow the government isn't homophobic, racist, sexist, etc itself.

I don't understand what is so difficult. They store owner cannot carry out his discrimination against homosexuals without the government enforcing it. Here is the rub.
He sells baked goods to homosexuals all the time. He doesn't ask. He doesn't care. He makes muffins, cupcakes, breads, and sells to ANYONE who comes in the door. If they want a Black Forest Cake, or a German Chocolate Cake or a Boston Cream Pie, and he's got it in the display case, it's theirs.

He doesn't have wedding cakes in the display case. Because wedding cakes are personalized for the couple getting married. Wedding cakes cost a lot more than Boston Cream Pies for a reason. Because they are creative, artistic collaborations.

He can discriminate without the government enforcing his discrimination. He already has, when he told the lesbian couple he doesn't make wedding cakes for same-sex couples. It's not the store owner wanting the government to enforce anything. It's the lesbian couple wanting to punish the store owner for denying his creative talents and skills to them.

I support Oregon's law against discrimination in public accommodation. I think stores and hotels and banks any business that is open to the public should be open to the entire public. If this baker had refused to sell the lesbians anything that he has in the store when the lesbians come in, I'd want the full weight of the law to be pressed against him.

But I also believe in the Bill of Rights. I believe that people have a right to believe something that is totally wrong. Whether it's a Ku Klux Klansmen who believes he's better than a black man, or it's a conspiracy nut who believes that Americans have never walked on the moon. I ardently support the rights of individuals to be individuals, to believe however they want. And I recognize that our actions often endorse our beliefs. Just like how I am defending this guy, who I don't agree with in any way, because I think that maybe something bigger is at stake here.

I'm saying that we have to have a balance. That freedom is a balancing act. We are constantly having to balance one person's freedom against another's freedom. And for me, the line for maintaining that balance in the commercial sector is creative product. It's the book only I can write. It's the painting only I can paint. When it's my vision, my creativity, that is the product, then I have to have control of that product. Otherwise, society has stripped me of my integrity, my judgment.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,050,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
to put the choice before a Jew is anti semtisim
No, it's not. There is nothing anti-Semitic about expecting a Jew to follow the laws of his or her jurisdiction.

To help you along, here is the definition of anti-semitism.

Anti-semitism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
to put the choice before a Muslim is islamphobia
to put a choice before a christian christianphobia
Well first off, neither one of these are real things.

Phobia List - An A to Z List of Phobias

Even if they were, since a phobia is essentially a fear of something, the connection does not exist here.

Quote:
I will go into what ever business and it will be run according to Judaism and if that mean I'm ignoring a anti semetic government regulation then so be it. Are you going to pull the trigger to stop me? do you plan on sending every single religious person to a gulag?
No, I'll just simply sit back and watch as you get fined and sued back to the stone age while people boycott your business or refuse to patronize your establishment. The end result is the same.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The shop owner is objecting to gay marriage which btw isn't legal in Oregon. That is all. The lesbian couple wanted a same sex marriage WEDDING CAKE, not just a cake.
The reasons are irrelevant. The store owner wants the government to enforce his right to discriminate against homosexuals.

The store owner didn't say I can't make the cake because I'm too busy. He specifically said, I am not making this cake because you are homosexuals.

Now, the homosexuals in question could have said forget that jerk, but because the store owner attacked their very being as humans, they decided to not allow someone to put them outside of the protection of the law.

Once the government steps in, the government has a choice, the government can say that yes this man has a right to discriminate against homosexuals in his business dealings, as such the government will be enforcing his discrimination against homosexuals.

Or the government can say we won't enforce the store owner's discrimination against homosexuals.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I object to your continued use of "homo" in your posts. It is a pejorative and offensive and I will continue to report all your posts if you don't change.
the reason I did that was because I didn't want to type out the word homosexual so many times.

from now on I'll type out homosexual instead.

not sure how the term homo is pejorative and offensive but I'll make the change for you.

unless the term homosexual is also a pejorative and offensive, in which case your out of luck.

the reason I used the term homo was because before the homosexuals tried to redefine the word marriage they already successfully redefined the word gay.

I truly am for gay marriage and wish that every marriage and wedding would be a gay one. unfortunately gay terrorists hijacked the word. so now "gay marriage" means neither gay nor marriage.
I guess homosexuals truly get their inspiration from the Holy Roman Empire.
Holy Roman Empire: neither holy, nor Roman, nor Empire
tolerant gay marriage: neither tolerant, nor gay, nor marriage

Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM

19,590 posts, read 12,196,385 times
Quote:
The store owner didn't say I can't make the cake because I'm too busy. He specifically said, I am not making this cake because you are homosexuals.
False. He said they don't do same sex wedding cakes.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Not sure why they would care. For one, he's a sad excuse for a Jew. Even most Orthodox, while disagreeing with same-sex marriage aren't as nasty towards gay people as he is. Judaism is also the most gay accepting major religion in the United States. Almost 70% of Jews support same-sex marriage. And seeing as this is a private board, he can cry discrimination all he wants. He can't do anything about it.
I not nasty towards gay (definition people who have a homosexual attraction) people.
I nasty towards people who act on it and force others to violate their religion to help them violate it.
I am just as nasty toward non gays (above def) who try to stuff the gay evil lifestyle down my throat and push the gay agenda and try force me to violate my region.

Andrew Coumo is a gay terrorist even if he's not gay(though there were rumors in the 80's and we got see how much of a hypocrite Mario was).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.