U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,233 posts, read 11,247,821 times
Reputation: 4063

Advertisements

Most that carry guns need a false sense of security or artificial means to garner a macho status. possession of a hun provides nothing in and of itself. I t does provide the fearful a prop for their false sense of security.

If guns provide so mush safety, then why do cops get shot?

If guns in schools would help so much, why didn't the 2 armed guards at Columbine prevent anything?

If gun owners are so responsible, why does someone pulling in a driveway to turn around get shot?

 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM
 
33,928 posts, read 18,449,106 times
Reputation: 7488
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Most that carry guns need a false sense of security or artificial means to garner a macho status. possession of a hun provides nothing in and of itself. I t does provide the fearful a prop for their false sense of security.

If guns provide so mush safety, then why do cops get shot?

If guns in schools would help so much, why didn't the 2 armed guards at Columbine prevent anything?

If gun owners are so responsible, why does someone pulling in a driveway to turn around get shot?
Cops get shot because they ae targeted, but guess who shoots them, the bad guy anyway....

Wrong place, plain and simple....

This guy was not responsible, period.

Sorry to disappoint you, but your arguments are false....

I guess seat belts, car insurance, fire insurance, and the plethera of others things are also flase sence of security also....
 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,885 posts, read 12,997,657 times
Reputation: 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Most that carry guns need a false sense of security or artificial means to garner a macho status. possession of a hun provides nothing in and of itself. I t does provide the fearful a prop for their false sense of security.

If guns provide so mush safety, then why do cops get shot?

If guns in schools would help so much, why didn't the 2 armed guards at Columbine prevent anything?

If gun owners are so responsible, why does someone pulling in a driveway to turn around get shot?


do all cops get shot? nope.
also how many gun owners get shot in comparison to the amount of cops.

well, were the teachers armed in the high school? also, 1999 was the height of the awb, why do we protect everything with firearms, but not our gun free murder zones called schools.

is it legal to turn around on someones private property? I didnt think so. maybe the owner felt threatened by the driver for some reason, i dont know and neither do you.

guns do not provide a false sense of security, that is what people feel when they rely on cops to protect them.

I think of it as self reliancy, not having to rely on cops to do something I am supposed to do for myself.
if guns do nothing in itself, then why do democrats and liberals want to ban an inanimate object? that would be pointless. the better solution would be to make the sentence stiffer for using a firearm in the commision of a crime.
 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: NC
6,032 posts, read 7,530,799 times
Reputation: 6350
The police show up after the incident has already occurred. When you and your family are in danger would you rather rely on someone 15 minutes or a firearm that can keep the bad guy away.
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,518,533 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That one would be tuff to beat...... Also a situational awareness failure......

And so this is one good reason I carry..... No sooner to the hairs on my neck stand up because maybe the dog is growling in a low tone, or maybe i just don't like the looks of some idiot with his pants down around his knees, and I might just click the tab on my holster loose.

If i am home I will check the shells in my shot gun and lean it by the door, of hold it....

Yeah yeah yeah I know you would prefer to die, but not me. I prefer my 50-50 chance...
I want to thank you. You're the only gun lover that had the b____s, toughness, and bravery to respond to the question. The rest were quivering in their Barney the Dinosaur boots.

However, your response was exactly as I suspected it would be. If you want a gun to be useful to you in a perp situation, you have to do these things:

(1) You have to have a gun already in your hand in advance of dangerous situations happening, or the gun is useless to you. Walking gingerly over to get a gun once a situation is taking place, is not possible;

(2) Unless you wish to Superglue a gun to your hand, you have to have the gun out, close to your hand, or on your person at all times;

(3) In order to be able to know when to reach for the gun, the gun user has to be sort of a psychic as to future dangerous events. To be successful in this, people with guns should live in a constant state of suspicion of everyone, as success using a gun to avoid crime requires a somewhat psychic attempt at predicting danger, to know when to grab the gun. I'm sure everyone who uses a gun uses different prediction criteria. You use a "hairs on my neck stand up" and the "I don't like the looks of some idiot" rules for yourself, to gauge when you should grab your gun. I'm sure differ with each human being, since these things are purely subjective. To successfully avoid crime by using a gun, requires strong ability in being able to predict the future.

Since life isn't a movie in which the gun-loving superhero is psychic and practically superhuman in grabbing his and aiming, gun use success relies upon excellent prediction of future events, and since prediction is not the forte of human beings, I'd say the success of guns in helping folks avoid situations has nothing to do with the gun, and everything to do with psychic abilities.

I appreciate your honesty.

I'd also like to add that aiming at a target is easy-peasy at the target range, but the target range is not real life. In real life (and I'm sure there might be some stats on this), the likelihood of being able to aim properly because of the unpredictability of situations, the stress, and a million things that have to be kept in mind when doing so (such as avoiding hitting innocent people and people distracting due to screaming and so on), must drop the aiming accuracy to rock bottom.
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,518,533 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Come on now, obviously that is just Hollywood movie garbage. It would never work in real life
I think these people go to the shooting range, hit targets nicely, and then think real life situations work that way - like a target at the shooting range.
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,445,546 times
Reputation: 9074
Are gun owners really tougher, braver, and more masculine than non-gun owners?

Don't be stupid. I'm a 5', 97 lb. girl. And I'm not brave. I don't needlessly go into known dangerous situations. But those needlessly dangerous situations might come to me. That's why I'm armed.
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,518,533 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
But anyone with the slightest bit of personal defense training knows that you never let anyone get close enough to grab your weapon before you shoot them. If they happen to grab you before they realize you have a gun then you shoot from the hip and never expose your weapon. If you are a women with pocket book carry, then you stick your hand into the purse and grab you gun while walk to your car at the ready, if a mugger jumps out you shoot through the purse, never pulling it out. The last tactic saved one of my past girlfriend's life when she was followed from the elevator to her car in a parking garage late one night. purses are easier to replace than your life or dignity.
This all works excellently in movies, doesn't it?
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,518,533 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Again, you are bringing one situation into the conversation...do all rapes start out with a gun to the temple? Your argument is false and misleading, but continue to show how shallow your argument is.
Do you have a psychic's predictive abilities, and know in advance what's going to happen? Do you believe life happens as it happens in a movie?
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,518,533 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Most that carry guns need a false sense of security or artificial means to garner a macho status. possession of a hun provides nothing in and of itself. I t does provide the fearful a prop for their false sense of security.

If guns provide so mush safety, then why do cops get shot?

If guns in schools would help so much, why didn't the 2 armed guards at Columbine prevent anything?

If gun owners are so responsible, why does someone pulling in a driveway to turn around get shot?
Oh that's easy! It's because the cop/armed guards/etc. failed to react as actor Steven Seagal does in Under Siege, Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Exit Wounds, Under Siege II, Marked for Death, and Out for Justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top