U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It is the unarmed that empower the criminal.
Being armed with as knowledge, or skills, or weapons.
The criminal seeks the unarmed stupid distracted , not the alert and skilled and armed .
I suggest you put a sign on your door please ,,"Gun free zone "
Well perhaps you could provide some stats to support your theory as all I've ever seen displayed is burglers not giving a second thought to checking out a house's occupants firearm status firstly.

Would it not be possible a smart criminal will seek out the armed but stupid individual to gain posession of a weapon he can later sell?

Usually they simply check to see if anyone's home then burgle the place and find the weapons stored within to later sell them to real thugs who will use them to commit even worse crimes. More weapons would seem to be a stupid way to put out the conflagration you're facing. Sorta like saying you'd better stock up on gasoline to protect yourself from an arsonist.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,536,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This is a hallmark of the far right. They tend to have a massive macho complex going on. And it's a very stereotypical one - a real man has to drive a real car, shoot the shotgun, keep his woman in line, do the man's work, blah blah. And, of course, everyone who doesn't exactly fit their mold is a girly wimp, and so on. They can't cope well with human differences inherent in a modern world. All in all, very much a black-and-white past-century mentality. They're like bullies on the playground who never grew up. You see evidence of this on the forum all the time.
How did this bs image of a man get started, anyway?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,217,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
So the cops in your area suck. A lot of cops suck. That's why I got out of it; I hate what the job has turned into. The kids coming on the job now are a bunch of f'in punks, just like a lot of kids in general (this coming from someone who is only 30). However, just because the cops in your area suck, doesn't mean all are like that. When I was on the job, there were a small group of us that were shift partners, and we did have the mentality that I pointed out above. We also didn't systematically deprive people of their rights, make bad or frivolous arrests, or any of the other things a lot of police do. In this group, I was the 2nd youngest; the old timers who had been on the job forever taught me a lot, and I always looked up to them.

I was a cop for 5 years, until I wised up and became a Firefighter/EMT.

Mac, if you had read all of my posts in this thread, I think you'd see that you and I agree about a lot more than we disagree.
yeah maybe...... I am sure if i ever again have a emergency where i may call i will be calling the Fire Dept. They come. I see i owe you an apology too.The Murders of my family will never be forgotten.

And just last Spring i had a encounter with NH state troopers, which is never good.

I was touring a state park in terrible weather, and expected no one to be there, yet there was.. They appeared to me as homeless, and their tents were in bad shape, and it was a tad cold. i was with my wife in our conversion van.

I stopped because people were crossing the road, and one asked me if bears were a real problem, because signs say so.

After a polite conversation, seeing that these were just the worlds worst campers on some sort of school break, we left, and yet someone paniced and called the cops, who had no problem finding me in the park. They damned near arrested me for the charge of asking too many questions.

I am coming to the point of not offering assistance to anyone myself. it just seems wrong to me, but it is the way it is these days I guess.

You would think this troop would be used to me by now, after all a larger male got a dress I made for my wife placed on his chest the day of Columbine. I had a living history session that day and unbenounced to me 2,500 miles away there had a been a school killing..

The big difference is I was hired by a contract that took more than a month to complete, and the cops were informed in advance long before I ever drove up the the school grounds. That contract was my contract to the school not the other way around. It was made for the very purpose some idiot cop wouldn't shoot me down on the school steps.

I am just sick of the BS... The govt just wrecks what ever is good.....

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,745,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
How did this bs image of a man get started, anyway?
BS?

You aren't much of a man if you think otherwise.

Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - YouTube

Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,398,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Usually they simply check to see if anyone's home then burgle the place and find the weapons stored within to later sell them to real thugs who will use them to commit even worse crimes.
You've never heard of gun safes?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM

LOL That was a "goodin' ". LOL LOL

Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
You've never heard of gun safes?
Hoods can almost just tell who is armed and who isn't. Hell, I can and I'm not in the crime business.

This guy has guns........NEXT!

This wimp doesn't.......

Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I want to thank you. You're the only gun lover that had the b____s, toughness, and bravery to respond to the question. The rest were quivering in their Barney the Dinosaur boots.

However, your response was exactly as I suspected it would be. If you want a gun to be useful to you in a perp situation, you have to do these things:

(1) You have to have a gun already in your hand in advance of dangerous situations happening, or the gun is useless to you. Walking gingerly over to get a gun once a situation is taking place, is not possible;

(2) Unless you wish to Superglue a gun to your hand, you have to have the gun out, close to your hand, or on your person at all times;

(3) In order to be able to know when to reach for the gun, the gun user has to be sort of a psychic as to future dangerous events. To be successful in this, people with guns should live in a constant state of suspicion of everyone, as success using a gun to avoid crime requires a somewhat psychic attempt at predicting danger, to know when to grab the gun. I'm sure everyone who uses a gun uses different prediction criteria. You use a "hairs on my neck stand up" and the "I don't like the looks of some idiot" rules for yourself, to gauge when you should grab your gun. I'm sure differ with each human being, since these things are purely subjective. To successfully avoid crime by using a gun, requires strong ability in being able to predict the future.

Since life isn't a movie in which the gun-loving superhero is psychic and practically superhuman in grabbing his and aiming, gun use success relies upon excellent prediction of future events, and since prediction is not the forte of human beings, I'd say the success of guns in helping folks avoid situations has nothing to do with the gun, and everything to do with psychic abilities.

I appreciate your honesty.

I'd also like to add that aiming at a target is easy-peasy at the target range, but the target range is not real life. In real life (and I'm sure there might be some stats on this), the likelihood of being able to aim properly because of the unpredictability of situations, the stress, and a million things that have to be kept in mind when doing so (such as avoiding hitting innocent people and people distracting due to screaming and so on), must drop the aiming accuracy to rock bottom.
It's getting late and I lost sleep last night bad... So to be brief...

If i have on pants I have a gun in a holster, and you can't tell I do just by looking. I have done this before Easter 1999 sometimes and after Easter 1999 24/7 any time I have pants on, and when I don't that fire arm of the day as i have several is under my pillow and under my head cocked and locked like any Colt .45 Govt model should be.

I might be psychic because the bad guy who was yelling at my house before i even opened the door a little was yelling he was going to kill every living thing. I don't think he was talking about black flies.

My wife called the cops and i grabbed a side by side 12Ga shot gun. My wife of that time handed me the damnned phone too, and started in with her bitchin', which was typical of her.

My great dane dog was going nuts my horse was frogging prancin' around the paddock, and my 32 old son now was in his crib crying that nasty set me off 2 year old screeeeech.

I didn't need to hear the cop sneer at me when i said 'So what happened to Serve and Protect? when he said NO ONE was COMING Untill a crime had been committed.....

That Cops were not my personal body guards........ That did it.... BOOM and down the bad guy did go..

But it wasn't like no one had any dammed warning....

Lady I know you don't like me, and you need to know I don't care about that. I am very married anyway, and my current wife isn't a nagging whining sassy pants crack wh ore like my first one was..

In fact with this wife I have only 2 problems that are gun related.

1 When I bring a new to us gun in the house, the first thing she says is 'Is that for me?" and smiles.....

2 She is a better shot on targets than I am....

Never the less I have the cooler head in the heat of any moment... I have been tested more than once too.

I even had to stop her once as she was going to kick some guy's ass because my wife found out he beat up a woman. Trust me when my wife is that mad, no one wants any part of her fangs..

She can be nice as pie and in a split second if she thinks someone will harm another who is semi helpless look the Hell out.

last........ No one ever promised me a rose garden nor did anyone promise me a gun was certain protection, but a gun is a 50% chance...... I prefer the 50% chance to none.

My elderly in laws had no chance and were stabbed to death in each other arms.

Ain't no body going to stab my wife and I in each others arms. I do take scalps.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

A dreaded semi auto assault rifle i see....

Can't ID it for sure, but think it is a Ruger probably in .44 mag

Everybody knows those are bad ass gun assault rifle guns!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,398,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
More weapons would seem to be a stupid way to put out the conflagration you're facing. Sorta like saying you'd better stock up on gasoline to protect yourself from an arsonist.
So how exactly would you react if two criminals decided to break into your house one night and murder you and your loved ones with a machete, as in this case in NH (where I live) recently where a woman was killed and her daughter maimed? NH Home Invasion Accomplices Sentenced To Decades In Prison CBS Boston

Would it really have been "stupid" for this woman to have had a handgun in a gun safe under her bed, which takes about 3 seconds to unlock in the dark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies