Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
Laziness in one area of one's life will always carry over into others. People are going to base their impressions of you on how you present yourself. If someone doesn't care enough about such a basic things as speaking and writing properly, then they obviously don't care too much about securing employment.
Amen, 100 times over. And on the internet, it's all we see. If one comes across as too lazy to use correct grammar and spelling, at least most of the time, I'm going to assume that person is as lazy in private life as in public (forum) life. When one has a real problem (i.e., dyslexia), it's obvious, and I will give that person a pass.

Loose/lose, their/they're, sale/sell, I seen, I have went, and so forth, is both lazy and stupid.

This thread reminds me of something that bothers me more than just about any grammatical screwup: Why, oh why, do people say "bring" when they mean "take"? You don't "bring" something somewhere else. You "take" it. I've noticed highly educated people wrongly saying "bring" and it makes me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Amen, 100 times over. And on the internet, it's all we see. If one comes across as too lazy to use correct grammar and spelling, at least most of the time, I'm going to assume that person is as lazy in private life as in public (forum) life. When one has a real problem (i.e., dyslexia) it's obvious, and I will give that person a pass.

Loose/lose, their/they're, sale/sell, I seen, I have went, and so forth, is both lazy and stupid.

This thread reminds me of something that bothers me more than just about any grammatical screwup: Why, oh why, do people say "bring" when they mean "take"? You don't "bring" something somewhere else. You "take" it. I've noticed highly educated people wrongly saying "bring" and it makes me crazy.
Listen, just be glad you don't know an old acquaintance of mine who used to tell me how she brang her son to school that morning.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Yet illegal aliens are able to get jobs in this country. Must be their perfect grammar and wonderful command of the English langauge (insert rolling eyes here).

Can't be because they work cheaper, can it? Naw.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM

524 posts, read 400,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
What about your parents? Why didn't they do something to stop their son's laziness? They were the parents, after all. Teachers are not parents, and shouldn't be expected to be. It drives me crazy when people expect teachers to be doing parenting.
In my post I stated that I came from a poor single-parent household. My mother worker long, hard hours to keep a roof over our head. My mother did the best she could with the hand she was dealt. I spent after school with my brother attempting to help him with homework, so I personally know how and why he failed, I was there with him. I do not expect any teacher to discipline a child or take over a parent's role. You see this expectation from the public educational system today. What I saw, was that the teachers did not want to deal with a very difficult student in the least. They let him color, draw, and sleep. By 7th grade, they moved him to the Special Education classes. They told my mom he had ADD and recommend medicating him. He swears to this day he has ADD, but while he was staying with me I observed him buying the medication off of a friend and once he would take it he would get completely jacked up. He is just addicted to speed!

My point is that I know that the teachers did not try. My brother was a pain in the but, difficult every step of the way, and they had a way out and my brother had no objections.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Sure they can find work...... look at all the rappers, reality tv show people and pop singers.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've read a lot of threads on CD by and about people either looking for a job (unemployed) or people looking for a better job. Many of these people, if their writing examples on CD are any indication, have only a very basic understanding of English. For example, when mentioning money, the put the dollar sign on the right instead of the left. They have paragraphs that are just one long sentence. They can't spell. They don't know when to capitalize. Etc.... I get the idea that a lot of these people are very young (late teens, early 20s). Some might not be native English speakers. I should say this isn't a new issue. I was in a hiring position years ago and have had people fill out applications who couldn't spell the word "school". But are people this dense? Don't they realize some basic skills are required?
I think many young people are used to sending text messages where everything is shortened down. So it is no wonder that some of them can't write proper English.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think many young people are used to sending text messages where everything is shortened down. So it is no wonder that some of them can't write proper English.
Yes indeed..... add to that disproportionate number of broken families which create a worse home life for kids, crappy pop culture and the fact that many places have schools that are little more than daycare centers

Yeah, there are many reasons why America is full of uneducated idiots.... red AND blue states

Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
In my post I stated that I came from a poor single-parent household. My mother worker long, hard hours to keep a roof over our head. My mother did the best she could with the hand she was dealt. I spent after school with my brother attempting to help him with homework, so I personally know how and why he failed, I was there with him. I do not expect any teacher to discipline a child or take over a parent's role. You see this expectation from the public educational system today. What I saw, was that the teachers did not want to deal with a very difficult student in the least. They let him color, draw, and sleep. By 7th grade, they moved him to the Special Education classes. They told my mom he had ADD and recommend medicating him. He swears to this day he has ADD, but while he was staying with me I observed him buying the medication off of a friend and once he would take it he would get completely jacked up. He is just addicted to speed!

My point is that I know that the teachers did not try. My brother was a pain in the but, difficult every step of the way, and they had a way out and my brother had no objections.
It might be that your brother doesn't suffer from ADD, but from one of so many other learning disabilities.

I know it's frustrating to have a child that has special needs. I suppose my point was that teachers cannot force students to learn when they don't want to, or be a special needs tutor, when they are teachers with the responsibility of teaching 20-something, and sometimes 30 kids. My sister adopted 5 special needs kids, and believe me, she has to be on top of them for everything, every single tiny thing, figuring them out, as each of them is different. Ultimately, however, she's the mother, and therefore the one that knows them best, know how they learn things best, and she determines what they need most to thrive. Special needs kids are complex. Teachers are teachers, not mothers, not fathers, not psychologists. Again, they have a very limited amount of time within which to teach a huge number of students. If one student requires special tutoring, the teacher cannot be both, the tutor of one child, and the teacher to 30. Further, if the student has huge problems, or is belligerent, or simply isn't learning for whatever the reason might be, it sets the rest of the students (who are trying to learn) back that the teacher is responsible for teaching. I do think it's up to the parents to be involved in their child's life. If their child isn't learning, and the parents expect others to figure everything out, it's always the child that is going to be hurt. The parents know when the child isn't doing well. Grades are sent home for that purpose, teacher-parent conferences are held for that purpose.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
There was a new reporter on my local tv news station doing an on site report. She was young and had a bad hair weave that looked messy and knotted in the back. She pronounced building as "biwding" and words that ended in -ed as -it, for instance started was "startit" and dedicated was "dedicatit". She looked and sounded like something you would find at a dive bar on a Tuesday night.

I only saw her the one time and I hope that was it. But she got past someone in order to be put on air.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've read a lot of threads on CD by and about people either looking for a job (unemployed) or people looking for a better job. Many of these people, if their writing examples on CD are any indication, have only a very basic understanding of English. For example, when mentioning money, the put the dollar sign on the right instead of the left. They have paragraphs that are just one long sentence. They can't spell. They don't know when to capitalize. Etc.... I get the idea that a lot of these people are very young (late teens, early 20s). Some might not be native English speakers. I should say this isn't a new issue. I was in a hiring position years ago and have had people fill out applications who couldn't spell the word "school". But are people this dense? Don't they realize some basic skills are required?
Me no find job. It tough, no good it hard. me need $ money have two baby and angry wife/ why no find job for me? me communication major in college

Please help for Mongo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies