U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,518,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
This only proves that humans can communicate quite well without written or spoken language skills, some better than pasture cows. Anyone catch the Colbert Report last night?
No, I'll have to watch it. Love Colbert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM

8,388 posts, read 8,321,388 times
Default Why are people who lack basic English grammar surprised they can't find a job???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've read a lot of threads on CD by and about people either looking for a job (unemployed) or people looking for a better job. Many of these people, if their writing examples on CD are any indication, have only a very basic understanding of English. For example, when mentioning money, the put the dollar sign on the right instead of the left. They have paragraphs that are just one long sentence. They can't spell. They don't know when to capitalize. Etc.... I get the idea that a lot of these people are very young (late teens, early 20s). Some might not be native English speakers. I should say this isn't a new issue. I was in a hiring position years ago and have had people fill out applications who couldn't spell the word "school". But are people this dense? Don't they realize some basic skills are required?

I suspect these folks are surprised by a LOT of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies