Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM

524 posts, read 400,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Way off topic. I just saw a piece on that school girl that was shot by the Taliban...Oh My Lord. She spoke English so well I freaked out.... 12 years old[when she was shot] and have such a command on what I assume is not her native language. Her message wasn't shabby either.

Pakistani girl shot by Taliban appears on video - One News Page
I have to agree. I watched her and thought to myself, "What fifteen year old in the U.S. is that passionate about education?". To listen to her speak, one would agree that she expresses herself much better than many native English speakers. She definitely would of put to shame at fifteen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM

524 posts, read 400,025 times
I didn't graduate from high school. At 17, I dropped out and immediately got my Good Enough Diploma. While in school I did well, I was in the gifted program for a while, was consistently an honor roll student, and well behaved. I loathed English. I hated writing, unless it was a subject I was particularly interested in. I loved to read and did so often and on my own.

I also grew up poor and in a single-parent household. My mother was too busy working to stay on top of our schooling. Luckily for me, I wanted to make my mother's life easier and that meant being a good student with no supervision required, (until I discovered boys). I joined the military, left home, got out, and went to school. The military was my way to go from being poor and pregnant at 18, to bettering my position in life.

My brother is and will always be a different story. He intellectually was never slow. He was lazy. If something was just a little bit hard or required effort, he would not do it. This started to really take hold in middle school. It was heavily reinforced by the teachers. It was easier for them to let him sit in the back of the classroom and draw than to make him work. He was one grade level above me. To this day, this disease of laziness has affected every area of his life. He is unable and has never supported himself. He goes from couch to couch, using up other's resources, all the while blaming everything but himself for his circumstance. The only relationship he knows is one of exploitation.

Laziness in one area of one's life will always carry over into others. People are going to base their impressions of you on how you present yourself. If someone doesn't care enough about such a basic things as speaking and writing properly, then they obviously don't care too much about securing employment.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
My brother is and will always be a different story. He intellectually was never slow. He was lazy. If something was just a little bit hard or required effort, he would not do it. This started to really take hold in middle school. It was heavily reinforced by the teachers. It was easier for them to let him sit in the back of the classroom and draw than to make him work. He was one grade level above me. To this day, this disease of laziness has affected every area of his life. He is unable and has never supported himself. He goes from couch to couch, using up other's resources, all the while blaming everything but himself for his circumstance. The only relationship he knows is one of exploitation.

Laziness in one area of one's life will always carry over into others. People are going to base their impressions of you on how you present yourself. If someone doesn't care enough about such a basic things as speaking and writing properly, then they obviously don't care too much about securing employment.
What about your parents? Why didn't they do something to stop their son's laziness? They were the parents, after all. Teachers are not parents, and shouldn't be expected to be. It drives me crazy when people expect teachers to be doing parenting.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I've seen college resumes submitted with text and leet speak in them.
Really people ? Did you not take Technical Writing in college ?
Have you forgotten all the grammar ever taught you ?
Do you turn off spellcheck or ignore it completely ?

And resumes with their cover letters is not hard work.
I've seen some that even turned in hand edited cover letters with one word crossed out and the correct word penciled in above it.

People just don't care. It's that plain and simple.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
LOL! Yesss!

There's so much to pick from as pet peeves!

Its and it's, your and you're, then and than, their and there, lose and loose, should have went, could of, pluralizing by using apostrophes, and much more.
Don't forget people writing "advise" when they mean "advice". Very popular mistake on this forum, probably because it's a place that people come to ask for advice. Probably running neck and neck with that "loose and lose" thing.

Personally, the epidemic of using apostrophes for plurals drives me the craziest. This just started on a bigtime scale about three or four years ago. Why? Did everyone just forget that they went to second grade or something????

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,876,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're saying that only blacks have bad grammar?
You're sadly mistaken.
Lots of white, religious zealots fit the bill. Some even not so religious.
For the intellectually challenged let me clarify -

I'm making fun of liberals who cry racism at the drop of a hat.
I would have thought the sarcasm was apparent but then again.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't forget people writing "advise" when they mean "advice". Very popular mistake on this forum, probably because it's a place that people come to ask for advice. Probably running neck and neck with that "loose and lose" thing.

Personally, the epidemic of using apostrophes for plurals drives me the craziest. This just started on a bigtime scale about three or four years ago. Why? Did everyone just forget that they went to second grade or something????
I don't pay much attention to grammar misuse on forums because many times it's a typo or quick thinking put to text and not gone over before hitting that submit button. I admit to many times editing a posted comment because after I re-read it, it needed corrections.

But you have formal writing (do they even use that term anymore ?) in resumes, business emails, etc. that exhibit the same carelessness/lack of QA on the writer's part.

I use apostrophes for plural possessives. What's wrong with that ?
Parents' fault means both parents. Parent's fault means a single parent.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Chimuel, we're not talking about you. I'm sorry about the disability. Disability is a far cry from actual illiteracy in which someone just doesn't care. You care.
Exactly. I don't hold people with actual learning disabilities responsible for their inability to spell/write clearly. As a matter of fact, I have a dyslexic coworker who checks and double-checks everything and she does very well in her job, which involves a lot of written material. However, these people who don't spell or punctuate clearly can't ALL have learning disabilities!

People are lazy, or more often, I suspect, they pretend to be stupid because they fancy themselves as some sort of maverick by not following the rules--like the five jillion other idiots who fancy themselves mavericks, too.

I write and belong to writers groups. You'd be amazed at the number of a-holes who want to be published but will snidely declare that THEY don't bother with proper spelling or punctuation and that the editors who hold the power to publish their work should not be CONCERNED with such trivialities because, after all, they are ARTISTS. And then their work goes into the shredder.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've read a lot of threads on CD by and about people either looking for a job (unemployed) or people looking for a better job. Many of these people, if their writing examples on CD are any indication, have only a very basic understanding of English. For example, when mentioning money, the put the dollar sign on the right instead of the left. They have paragraphs that are just one long sentence. They can't spell. They don't know when to capitalize. Etc.... I get the idea that a lot of these people are very young (late teens, early 20s). Some might not be native English speakers. I should say this isn't a new issue. I was in a hiring position years ago and have had people fill out applications who couldn't spell the word "school". But are people this dense? Don't they realize some basic skills are required?
American men have been trained heavily to be as masculine as possible, hence less networking and conversing in different things.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
For the intellectually challenged let me clarify -

I'm making fun of liberals who cry racism at the drop of a hat.
I would have thought the sarcasm was apparent but then again.
If you have to explain your sarcasm, then you're a sarcaloon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies