U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 AM

44,370 posts, read 35,877,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree. I think there is a little bit of propaganda on CNN's part. While I don't think CNN is a liberal outlet, I think it's safe to say the Piers Morgan is liberal and was looking for a way to embolden stereotypes by choosing to come to Texas and fire guns and interview celebrities like Ted Nugent. I fail to see how they represent the entire state. I think it's a typical ignorant European view of America: "Guns, they must love them in Texas because that's the Cowboy State"
I know - it's really ridiculous.

Texas has a population of over 26 MILLION very diverse people. It is so large that 13 states can fit into it!

Inside of Texas, you could fit Rhode Island, Delaware, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Maryland, West Virginia, South Carolina, Maine, Indiana, and still have room for a good chunk of Kentucky.
How many States fit in Texas

We have six out of the top twenty most populous cities in the United States - far more than any other state. We are a potent mixture of a wide range of cultural influences and a wide variety of industries and resources.

We simply cannot be categorized and caricatured with any accuracy. That doesn't stop morons from TRYING to slap generalities and labels and stereotypes on us, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Piers Morgan is *definitely* a hack.

Texans, left-right-and-otherwise aren't going to go for a lot of this stuff just b/c we've got such a strong live-and-let-live vibe going, and don't really care if outsiders are offended b/c we don't happen to live or think like they do.
Well, I stand corrected. This is ONE generality about Texans that happens to be 100 percent correct!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,941,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Piers Morgan is *definitely* a hack.

Texans, left-right-and-otherwise aren't going to go for a lot of this stuff just b/c we've got such a strong live-and-let-live vibe going, and don't really care if outsiders are offended b/c we don't happen to live or think like they do.
Best comment on here this year.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,631,781 times
Quote:
I'm watching CNN's Piers Morgan and it's interesting to see how Texas is depicted. How do residents of Texas view all of the publicity surrounding Texas and the gun debate? I'm assuming most Texans are proud to endorse this image and believe in gun rights and the right to carry AR15's. Texas has become the center of the gun debate and depicts the state as being very conservative. What are your thoughts?
Being pro-gun doesn't make a person conservative

Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,079,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Being pro-gun doesn't make a person conservative
*shrug* Maybe, maybe not. I happen to personally know a few liberals -- went to school and work with them -- who are generally pro-Second Ammendment. so I don't doubt it a bit from that angle.

But anyway, what is the point of this "photo"? How do you know whether or not the guy is a conservative or liberal? Do you know the fellow...?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,079,558 times
Quote:
I'm watching CNN's Piers Morgan and it's interesting to see how Texas is depicted. How do residents of Texas view all of the publicity surrounding Texas and the gun debate? I'm assuming most Texans are proud to endorse this image and believe in gun rights and the right to carry AR15's. Texas has become the center of the gun debate and depicts the state as being very conservative. What are your thoughts?
LOL To take the bolded part from the bottom to the top? Well, personally, what I really think is that your whole post is just intended to stir up crap that, really, you don't care much about anyway. You have a history of this, AZ.

Also? What is this obviously telegraphed -- in terms of actual intent of the thread itself -- "right" to carry around AR-15 all about? Hell, at least be a little less obvious your ironic intent. LMAO.

But ok, yeah, it IS a right to carry around an AR15. I have to say though, that I have never seen a fellow Texan actually do it. Have you? But by the same token, I have also never seen anybody walking down the street carrying a shotgun or deer rifle just because they can. What is the difference?

Or are you perhaps just talking about the right to own one? That needs to be clear, I would think. I have no problem with it. Do you? If so, why?

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-05-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM

12,505 posts, read 16,593,406 times
I'm sure most Texans don't care what a CNN talking head thinks about Texas. Some of us think the name Piers Morgan sounds like some old crusty peg-legged pirate Walt Disney made up but I'm sure the guy doesn't worry about what we think.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,466,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL To take the bolded part from the bottom to the top? Well, personally, what I really think is that your whole post is just intended to stir up crap that, really, you don't care much about anyway all that much past the point of stirring it up. You have a history of this, AZ.

Also? What is this obviously telegraphed -- in terms of actual intent of the thread itself -- "right" to carry around AR-15 all about? Hell, at least be a little less obvious your ironic intent. LMAO.

But ok, yeah, it IS a right to carry around an AR15. I have to say though, that I have never seen a fellow Texan actually do it. Have you? But by the same token, I have also never seen anybody walking down the street carrying a shotgun or deer rifle just because they can. What is the difference?

Or are you perhaps just talking about the right to own one? That needs to be clear, I would think. I have no problem with it. Do you? If so, why?
I think the OP didn't word his post well, but he wasn't being a troll. He could simply have asked "What do Texans think about Piers Morgan and his portrayal of Texas and guns?"

Piers Morgan is not a particularly credible journalist. His career is full of professional missteps. Most of all - he has been on Celebrity Apprentice, a place where tier 2 celebrities go.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM

930 posts, read 1,281,699 times
What's wrong with gun culture? I'd say an armed populace that can defend itself against criminals is a good thing.

I recommend this read to those who fear the so called "assault weapons."

Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm sure most Texans don't care what a CNN talking head thinks about Texas. Some of us think the name Piers Morgan sounds like some old crusty peg-legged pirate Walt Disney made up but I'm sure the guy doesn't worry about what we think.
Please. Don't insult pirates in this manner. I think the peg legged ones are in some sort of protected class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or