Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,195,881 times

Advertisements

Most of the victims are gangbangers or criminals. I doubt they would qualify for permits. Not to mention that many of them already have guns. I have nothing against conceal and carry, but I don't see how this would impact the current shootings.

FYI Calling me a gun grabber isn't a good argument

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,142,733 times
The recent spike in murders in Chicago (and accidental killings of bystanders) is due to gang warfare. There is a power struggle after many gang leaders were imprisoned.

Using concealed carry because of the recent upswing is like promoting concealed carry when there is a rash of criminals cutting down trees. The method does not protect against the evil.

So really this is just an opportunistic means to get concealed carry legalized.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,293,060 times
Perhaps some of those criminals stole the guns from people who did have permits. Any way you look at it the more guns on the street legal or illegal the more of a chance they will fall into the wrong hands. Cops sometimes have their guns stolen from them later to be used in crimes. The culprit is bad humans not guns.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,413,789 times
The majority of guns used Chicago gun crimes that could be traced were from out of state. 20% were traced back to one gun shop just outside the city boundary. Chicago can't tackle it's gun problem in isolation and this is evidence that national gun laws are needed - no straw purchases and no private sales without registration.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,433,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Perhaps some of those criminals stole the guns from people who did have permits. Any way you look at it the more guns on the street legal or illegal the more of a chance they will fall into the wrong hands. Cops sometimes have their guns stolen from them later to be used in crimes. The culprit is bad humans not guns.
Stolen guns account for a small percentage of guns used in crimes. The largest percentage of guns used by criminals comes from straw purchases. The solution is background checks on all gun sales/transfers... whether private or through a licensed firearm dealer. Also, strengthen straw purchase laws and actually start enforcing them to the fullest extent of the law.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,490,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Stolen guns account for a small percentage of guns used in crimes. The largest percentage of guns used by criminals comes from straw purchases. The solution is background checks on all gun sales/transfers... whether private or through a licensed firearm dealer. Also, strengthen straw purchase laws and actually start enforcing them to the fullest extent of the law.
That would be proper gun control.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

45,064 posts, read 26,231,374 times
The Chicago police have recklessly released a statement saying they can no longer address all calls.Jesse Jackson is trying to get the feds involved
It is almost impossible to buy a gun within Chicago city limits.
I think most intelligent people can see what will happen next now that the criminal element knows the cops are further limited in their ability to respond.
Why would anyone want to prevent a law abiding person the ability to protect self and property?

Judge Napolitano on Pleas for Federal Help in Dealing With Chicago Murders:

Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,769,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Most of the victims are gangbangers or criminals. I doubt they would qualify for permits. Not to mention that many of them already have guns. I have nothing against conceal and carry, but I don't see how this would impact the current shootings.

FYI Calling me a gun grabber isn't a good argument

I'm not really worried about protecting gangbangers or criminals. However the innocents who are restricted from owning a firearm while living in a dangerous city leaves them exposed and vulnerable. Laws only restrict law abiding citizens, criminals can ignore them.

However Criminals might give pause if they have reason to believe their intended target might be packing heat. This is probably why we rarely hear of Police Stations and gun stores being robbed durring business hours.

Also, when was the last time you read a story of an on duty police officer being held up and robbed/raped, etc.?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,195,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
I'm not really worried about protecting gangbangers or criminals. However the innocents who are restricted from owning a firearm while living in a dangerous city leaves them exposed and vulnerable. Laws only restrict law abiding citizens, criminals can ignore them.

However Criminals might give pause if they have reason to believe their intended target might be packing heat. This is probably why we rarely hear of Police Stations and gun stores being robbed durring business hours.

Also, when was the last time you read a story of an on duty police officer being held up and robbed/raped, etc.?
Majority of gun shot victims in Chicago are not innocent law abiding citizens. How would conceal and carry affect the number of shootings???

Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,066,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Because of regulations, many guns are purchased by disreputable gun dealers and such. There will always be a huge underground market for guns no matter how many regulations and bans the Libs would like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies