Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinerinker View Post
I am not surprised. According to their religion they are to turn many and kill those that choose not to
Almost all religions have strong elements of converting others. What do you think those missionaries have been doing all these years? What do you think Evangelical Christains do? How about Mormons, another fast growing religion? Heck, how about Scientology?

There are likely as many interpretations of the Quran as their are the old and new testament. Most Muslims do not believe in killing those who do not convert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Unless the religions starts restricting the functions of public life, there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
For Mr. Amghar, Islam provides more structure and discipline than other religions. It is a way to “refuse modernism,” get back to a society with more family values and a clearer distinction between men and women. “Islam has a peaceful effect on the converts,” Mr. Amghar said. “The world looks clearer after they’ve converted.”

But there is rising anxiety here about the influence of Islam, especially conservative Salafist Islam, particularly among those on the center-right. Islam is regularly at the center of heated debates about the nature and future of France and its culture, and politicians can win attention and support by criticizing the expansion of Muslim customs into the wider public sphere: for example, the rise of women-only sessions in public swimming pools or the increasing availability of halal food.

Sounds exactly like what Tea Partiers preach here !

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/wo...l?pagewanted=1

"Sounds exactly like what Tea Partiers preach here !"

This is a lie.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
I just find the whole shebang to be quite arrogant.

If God is looking to choose a people, why the Middle East? It's as if there's no world outside of the Biblical world in a small corner of the Earth. That's one of my pet peeves with the big 3 monotheisms.

How folks don't see that as the height of arrogance is beyond me.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,818 times
I'm a big ol' Lib and all but I have very ill feelings towards Islam. Any western Liberal should categorically oppose the pragmatic implementation of Islam and it's expansion. Regardless of what the apologetics say, in practice Islam is almost always mysognistic, racist, anti-semitic, anti-gay, anti-progress, pro-capital punishment, and while doubling as a political ideology is LITERARLLY indistinguishable from Nazism. We oppose these acts in the US when committed by non-muslims....any western liberal should oppose this. It is cruel and has proven itself unwelcome almost everywhere.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I'm a big ol' Lib and all but I have very ill feelings towards Islam. Any western Liberal should categorically oppose the pragmatic implementation of Islam and it's expansion. Regardless of what the apologetics say, in practice Islam is almost always mysognistic, racist, anti-semitic, anti-gay, anti-progress, pro-capital punishment, and while doubling as a political ideology is LITERARLLY indistinguishable from Nazism. We oppose these acts in the US when committed by non-muslims....any western liberal should oppose this. It is cruel and has proven itself unwelcome almost everywhere.
The only difference is that western nations have had a brush with modernity. That changes the equation. When you have democracy, science, and philosophy, religion becomes less important.

In a truly free society, Christianity has to compete in a marketplace of other ideas, which makes it less draconian and more palatable. It sells better.

But when Christianity DIDN'T have to compete, and the clergy had a lot more power over individual lives, it was no better than Islam. And if they're ever able to seize that much power again, they'd be the same way to the extent that it's possible.

So really, it's just a matter of many of the world's Muslims needing an Enlightenment. Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime, but oh well.

In any case, I too have a problem with Islam, but I have that same problem with every religion.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,194 times
Quote:
For Mr. Amghar, Islam provides more structure and discipline than other religions. It is a way to “refuse modernism,” get back to a society with more family values and a clearer distinction between men and women. “Islam has a peaceful effect on the converts,” Mr. Amghar said. “The world looks clearer after they’ve converted.”

But there is rising anxiety here about the influence of Islam, especially conservative Salafist Islam, particularly among those on the center-right. Islam is regularly at the center of heated debates about the nature and future of France and its culture, and politicians can win attention and support by criticizing the expansion of Muslim customs into the wider public sphere: for example, the rise of women-only sessions in public swimming pools or the increasing availability of halal food.

Sounds exactly like what Tea Partiers preach here !

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/wo...l?pagewanted=1
Islam is damn near the opposite of the TEA Party.

The TEA Party wants to live more freely. Islam is a totalitarian theocracy.

I think you people confuse people wanting society to maintain a sense of decency with theocracy.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post

The TEA Party wants to live more freely. Islam is a totalitarian theocracy.
Bwahahahahahahaa!!

Nice one.

Translated: More freely under Christian Sharia Law

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,194 times
Quote:
Bwahahahahahahaa!!

Nice one.

Translated: More freely under Christian Sharia Law
You don't understand the TEA Party, and unless you remove your prejudice, you never will. But go ahead and keep on listening to Maddow and Shultz on msnbc if it makes you happy.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Better check your history. The castration procedure has roots in ancient Africa, predating Islam and not related to Islam. This procedure has been performed all over Europe, including the UK, at one time or another. Some African cultures continue to practice this procedure.
Thank you for confirming what I said.... Note the bolded text above, ancient, just like the rest of Islam, ancient and barbaric. Read up on female circumcision and Islam:

Islamic Law on Female Circumcision

Quote:
Stoning has its roots in the Old Testament. It eventually stopped .

Stoning was once a common punishment imposed on adulturers in some Muslim countries. The Western World became more aware of this as a result of the Iran invasion. It has since been outlawed. It's increasingly uncommon except in the more remote third world areas, governed by local warlords.
It stopped? Really? Are you that out of touch with reality? Below are some of the stonings that took place within the last year or so....

Iran: Four women stoned to death - Jihad Watch

Video of Stoning to Death - Islam in action

Woman sentenced to death by stoning in Sudan - Africa - Al Jazeera English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies