U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM

215 posts, read 270,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Care to elaborate or should we just take your word for it?

I, for one, think he's a decent president who supports policies for the middle class. I see no evidence that he is anything but a decent family man human being.
What has he done for the middle class... Big bailouts were aimed at Wall Street! Middle class has suffered enough, with high gas, and food prices, record foreclosures, median income -down, higher healthcare cost, etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM

215 posts, read 270,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Yea...he's investing all your tax dollars in boondoggle green energy scams...
Yes!! Obama's record ='s 100% success rate bankrupting green energy companies, using solely taxpayer money!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM

20,372 posts, read 13,901,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
My, my, my. I knew there were a lot of mind readers using the forum, but didn't know there were this many.
Well, both 0bama and his energy secretary stated, for the record, that they endorsed policies that would drastically increase consumer energy prices. I'm not a mind reader, I just know how to read what they said. Do I really need to supply you with links to back up what I just said?

Dude you need to give up trying to debate anything I say, since you are always left with egg on your face.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,470,885 times
Chu & Obama have both been fanatics about US gasoline prices rising to European levels, and Chu in particular.

Democrats are no friends of the middle class; their policies always make things substantially worse for everybody.

Look no farther than California, Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Flint, Buffalo, Newark.....

Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 PM

491 posts, read 664,159 times
Others have posted why prices have gone up and such my question is what should gas cost? What is a fair price that is low enough for consumers but can still make companies money?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM

19,968 posts, read 14,268,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Others have posted why prices have gone up and such my question is what should gas cost? What is a fair price that is low enough for consumers but can still make companies money?
Gasoline should cost whatever the Laws of Economics say it should cost under the Supply & Demand Curve.

You used to have 49 operating oil refineries in the US, but only 17 refineries produce gasoline.

Why?

Because that's what you wanted.

You decided that ready-to-eat foods and processed foods, especially microwavable foods, were more important than anything else.

Problem is, you won't eat those foods because they look and taste like dog-****.

To resolve that problem, manufactures of such foods use artificial colorings, artificial flavorings, and artificial preservatives.

But, those things are made from oil, and you can either produce gasoline, or you can produce petro-chemicals refined from oils such as artificial colorings and artificial flavorings, but you cannot do both at the same time.

Over the course of the last several months, three refineries on the East Coast of closed, so that leaves you with 46 operating refineries and only 16 producing gasoline.

Your supply of gasoline is fixed and static, so a decrease in supply means gasoline prices rise.

You also rather stupidly put food in your fuel. You grow corn to produce Ethanol to be blended with gasoline, and then you have the idiotic E85 Standard. Ethanol producers must compete against all other consumers of corn, whether those consumers want corn to make popcorn, corn for feed, corn for corn starch, corn flour, corn meal, light corn syrup, dark corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, corn flakes, creamed corn, canned corn, succotash or anything else.

You have a limited supply of corn, and Ethanol producers drive up the price of corn.

Then when you have a bad harvest, like you did in October, December Corn Futures fly through the roof. And now you're using December Corn....that's why prices in the grocery store have risen and why the price of gasoline has risen (because the price of Ethanol has risen).

And now you have EPA Tier 3 limiting Sulfur to 10 ppm in gasoline. It costs money and takes time, and that drives up the price of gasoline.

Reducing Sulfur from 30 ppm under EPA Tier 2 to 10 ppm under EPA Tier 3 costs money, and for most refiners, they get more profit by not reducing Sulfur and exporting to other countries...creating a shortage in the gasoline supply here and driving prices up.

There is very little relationship between the price of oil and the price of gasoline, due to the fact that you have only 16 refineries producing gasoline, so your supply is limited. What that means is the price of a gallon of gas will never drop below $X per gallon regardless of the price of oil, but it could increase if the price of oil increases.

Economically...

Mircea

Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,748,631 times
Ours is one of the highest in the Country.

Thank you Osama Obama Yo Mama.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,973,912 times
Let's be honest about one thing: the actual price of energy is nowhere near reflected in the point-of-purchase price for energy in the US. The government has distorted the energy market so much through ridiculous subsidies, incentives, giving into lobbying (energy companies and farmers, among others), price capping measures and so on so much so that Americans pay among the lowest prices for energy in the developed world, but expect it to remain low. It's an incredibly entitled, economically irresponsible and ultimately unsustainable model to go on. That said, I don't particularly see how Obama is any more to blame for this than Congress, which ultimately decides, and has decided for years, that these poorly thought-out measures should be laws…and it's not like they're going away soon.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 PM

19,718 posts, read 11,583,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Gasoline should cost whatever the Laws of Economics say it should cost under the Supply & Demand Curve.

You used to have 49 operating oil refineries in the US, but only 17 refineries produce gasoline.

So? Demand is up and there still is no shortage of gasoline. I haven't seen a "No Gas Today" sign in decades. That means those 17 refineries produce enough gasoline for demand. The reason is that those 17 produce more gasoline than the former 49 -- mainly because refining is not very profitable and it didn't make sense keeping all those refineries open.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM

21,378 posts, read 24,152,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Gas Prices Hit All-Time Record High For Early February---Thank You Obama

When we go over the highest national average, which occurred during the July 4th weekend in 2008, of $4.56 under Bush give us a ring. Past that this is just another baseless attack on the current president.

FWIW last years average for the week of this report was $0.04 less and peaked at $4.14 before coming back down in April.

Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update - Energy Information Administration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies