Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
That isn't always the case....but in cases where the parents are being negligent in their handlings of their resources...more social workers and lower case loads and the subsequent increase in ability to monitor the welfare of the child lead to better outcomes. The most desireable outcome in a case where the parents have proven themselves to be ineffective is foster care, without question.
And what's the percentage of kids pulled out of a home and put in foster care due to negligence ?
You now have Communities in Schools with staffed personnel and I still see hungry kids, homeless teens and kids shuffled among family members due to criminal activity within the family. And what does Communities in Schools do..why give out tee shirts and free tickets to sports events and movies and take lots of photo ops. If that's not fostering a sense of entitlement than I don't know what is. The other kids know and see what's going on when these "at risk" kids get pulled for some event "just for them".

Oh they don't talk about the home life. The elephant in the room is being ignored and is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you kidding me ? That's what the free food in school is all about..kids coming to school hungry.
Our government not only supports it but keeps their eyes, ears and mouths shut about it and just expands.

How is it possible that kids in urban areas are coming to school hungry and now schools are open in the summer just to provide food for them because their parents aren't and not one statement is made regarding parental responsibility ? How is that possible and happening here in America ?

No one wants to deal with the truth here. I used urban because there's no excuse for not obtaining food.
Rural might have transportation issues but then again there are government programs to provide free transportation to poor rural folks. And to that I say..if they can get to town to vote then they can certainly get to town to buy food.
The government (local DSS's) do not keep their eyes, ears, mouths shut to it. They don't have the resources to handle all of it. Further...if it isn't reported they can't even get involved legally.

Do you have any idea what the average social workers case load is? It is literally impossible to handle all of the reports let alone seek out more. The system provdes as well as it can with it's limited resoures. And the resources are VERY limited.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what's the percentage of kids pulled out of a home and put in foster care due to negligence ?
You now have Communities in Schools with staffed personnel and I still see hungry kids, homeless teens and kids shuffled among family members due to criminal activity within the family. And what does Communities in Schools do..why give out tee shirts and free tickets to sports events and movies and take lots of photo ops. If that's not fostering a sense of entitlement than I don't know what is. The other kids know and see what's going on when these "at risk" kids get pulled for some event "just for them".

Oh they don't talk about the home life. The elephant in the room is being ignored and is growing.
Where do you think the money to magically remedy all of these issues comes from!?!? All the while the Right complains about these issues they are working on slashing the budget for the programs.......double speak much?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
-Bring our troops home
-Close most overseas bases
-Adjust revenue's to clinton era levels
-End the drug war
-Close the carried interest tax deduction
-DON'T impose austerity measures until the economy has recovered
-Reduce defense spending to 3% of the GDP which will still be higher than any nation in the world

That would be a better start.
i will agree to adjusting revenue to Clinton era levels, when you agree to clinton era spending levels...

deal?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
If you pop out some snippy-ass comment you had better ensure that it is flawless.
really now...are you a moderator???

you have been proven wrong in numerous threads

fact eugenics was/is a liberal program

Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
i will agree to adjusting revenue to Clinton era levels, when you agree to clinton era spending levels...

deal?

When the economy is stablized and moving in the right direction.....deal.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really now...are you a moderator???

you have been proven wrong in numerous threads

fact eugenics was/is a liberal program
No...but I can spell.

I guess you and I have different definitions of "proven wrong."

And why don't you go ahead and explain to me how eugenics is a liberal program. This should be entertaining.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
The government (local DSS's) do not keep their eyes, ears, mouths shut to it. They don't have the resources to handle all of it. Further...if it isn't reported they can't even get involved legally.

Do you have any idea what the average social workers case load is? It is literally impossible to handle all of the reports let alone seek out more. The system provdes as well as it can with it's limited resoures. And the resources are VERY limited.
Yes, once they go and qualify for aid the money is magically just credited to their account each month.
The agency that processed the form washes their hands and moves on to the next applicant.

Not enough feel there is enough abuse of the system to do anything about it.
You're at the end where you feel it the most.

CPS usually shows up after the fact and then has to tap dance around why they didn't catch it earlier to the press.

It's a shame what is going on and an even bigger shame that those in power just don't care.
I do what I can but it's all "in spite of the system" with me.

Make some headway with a kid and then they stop showing up to school.
Ask if they are sick and you're told by the kids that no, they're in juvie.
One girl got caught with her and her mom shoplifting in Walmart. Wasn't the first time either.
Mom went to jail and daughter went to juvie. This is a 14 year old 8th grade girl.

Mother and daughter outings are not supposed to be shoplifting trips are they ?

Judges in the system are too sympathetic to keeping the family together and in the long term are not doing the kids any good.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM

88,991 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Where do you think the money to magically remedy all of these issues comes from!?!? All the while the Right complains about these issues they are working on slashing the budget for the programs.......double speak much?
Um... because dumping more money into them HASN'T worked. It has, in fact, MADE THE PROBLEM WORSE.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
If we fail with our children..we fail everywhere. You can say what you want about lazy parents, deadbeats on welfare, whatever...it isn't fair for children in the most advanced nation in the world to suffer from food insecurity.

How President Obama Can Reverse America

"Together, we resolved that a great nation must care for the vulnerable, and protect its people from life’s worst hazards and misfortune. … we are true to our creed when a little girl born into the bleakest poverty knows that she has the same chance to succeed as anybody else."
Life isn't fair. Maybe when liberals grasp this fact we can solve real problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies