Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Anwar Awlaki was an Al Qaeda leader. The same Al Qaeda that attacked American and is still attacking Americans. He was a real threat just as Dykes, who also was shot and killed, was. I have no problem with that.

Anwar Awlaki was not in Yemen to shop.
Why do you support the assasination of American citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So, you're not going to give common sense a shot?

Okay.
This is a cowardly reply. There is no need for insults. I have not made any replies like this to you. If you want to discuss this I am happy to. Dispense with the insults though.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The OP is really just an opinion piece, and BTW, how do we even know it's such a "chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ", if as the article admits, the Obama administration has refused to disclose it?!

And what are we supposed to do about our enemies anyway, who hide out abroad... stage a Bin Laden style assault every time we find another Al Qaeda leader? I'll start taking these right wing hysterics seriously, when I see drones circling the local mall. Although I can also think of a few RWNJ's that probably wouldn't be missed...
The OP is a Constitutional lawyer, and linked to dozens of news reports, quoted specific legal memos and language. That's far from a mere opinion piece.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,187 times
Ah the typical armchair quarterbacking at play here. I know people want to quote the constitution, this and that and very well may have a point to a certain extent being as people want the constitution to be black and white when in reality life today is every shade of grey.

Now I have noticed that some of you so called inflamed about the memo are some of the same ones crying death to muslims. Uh huh. This has nothing to do with policy, it has everything to do with the man invoking it. Any person who thinks the US hasn't long done this is a fool for one simple reason. If your enemy knows you will not go after them with an American citizen within their ranks, they will place them any and everywhere. Every secret meeting, every bunker every birthday party. As a country, you cannot allow that to deter you as you will always lose in the end if you are too scared to make the tough call. This may sound cold and cruel, but that's life. War isn't pretty, war isn't only the bad guys get hurt. Innocent people get hurt, innocent people die and sometimes your own turn against you and well, you do what you have to do.

These are not easy decisions for anyone to make. I know all of you feel as though you could do everything 10 times better but the fact of the matter is just reading posts on here, at least 70% are walking screw ups to begin with, 25% show too much bias one way or 4% can't reason and the remaining 1% already know to not bark up that tree because they're not that stupid to think being POTUS is a cakewalk job.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM

"I am all for due process but this is war folks!"

Bin Laden did so much damage to the US because whiny, paranoid, lemmings like this are willing to trade their Constitutional rights so that they can feel safe from some two-bit, peasant on the other side of the Wordl

Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Really?
See Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists

Preamble

Joint Resolution

To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States.
Whereas, on September 11, 2001, acts of treacherous violence were committed against the United States and its citizens; and

Whereas, such acts render it both necessary and appropriate that the United States exercise its rights to self-defense and to protect United States citizens both at home and abroad; and

Whereas, in light of the threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by these grave acts of violence; and

Whereas, such acts continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States; and

Whereas, the President has authority under the Constitution to take action to deter and prevent acts of international terrorism against the United States: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

Section 1 - Short Title

This joint resolution may be cited as the 'Authorization for Use of Military Force'.

Section 2 - Authorization For Use of United States Armed Forces

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

(b) War Powers Resolution Requirements-
(1) SPECIFIC STATUTORY AUTHORIZATION- Consistent with section 8(a)(1) of the War Powers Resolution, the Congress declares that this section is intended to constitute specific statutory authorization within the meaning of section 5(b) of the War Powers Resolution.
(2) APPLICABILITY OF OTHER REQUIREMENTS- Nothing in this resolution supersedes any requirement of the War Powers Resolution.
NEWSFLASH: Congress can pass, and does pass, unconstitutional laws and the Executive can have his personal lawyer point to all legal nonsense to justify him breaking laws. Just as Congress did with an illegal bill of attainder for ACORN and Obama's use of the military in Libya. All clearly illegal. You pasting the language of a law is meaningless. And it goes without saying laws don't trump the Constitution.

Last edited by padcrasher; 02-05-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
See, this is the problem. There is no evidence that the son had anything to do with AQ.
Huh? Exactly when did you become privy to US intelligence regarding the activities of Al Qaeda in Yemen? How would you pretend to know that there is no evidence?

That said... the man ran away from the safety of his family in Sana'a to join Al Qaeda in the field. Two weeks after his father was killed in a drone strike, he was still with Al Qaeda, worse he was in the entourage of a senior Al Qaeda operative.

We didn't even have to know he was there... and in fact probably didn't. But he knew he was there, and he could have been somewhere else. But he wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
He was with the guy that was targeted because he wanted to go see his dad and knew who to ask for him to help find him.
His dad had been dead for weeks and everybody already knew it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
If there is solid evidence otherwise, present it.
Offered above.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do you support the assasination of American citizens?
I support the killing of anybody who has taken up arms against my country and its people.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is a cowardly reply.
It's not cowardice. It's the truth delivered through mockery.

Get a thicker skin and defend your position, or whine about how your feelings are hurt instead. I really don't care.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I support the killing of anybody who has taken up arms against my country and its people.
There is a clear difference between engaging a target in the midst of combat, and cold bloodedly assasinating an American citizen.

Due process applies to treason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies