U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM

45,767 posts, read 34,009,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
How dumb does one have to be to not know they can shop somewhere else!
Not too many options if you live in the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 PM

14,306 posts, read 15,126,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not too many options if you live in the district.
And with their boneheaded, short sighted politicans it's going to stay that way.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 PM

389 posts, read 486,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm going to guess that this goes a long way in explaining why there is no BMOREBOY Mart paying people $11.25 an hour.

Minimum wage type of jobs were never intended to be jobs that you live off. They were intended to be entry level jobs. You aren't setting your goals very high if you strive to make a living off of taking items out of a box and placing them on a shelf.
It was just in the paper about South Dakota's modern rush towns. Along with $2000/month single wides Walmart is offering $17 an hour to keep the store open. This is to compete with roughneck pay close to 100k annual.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,583,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
If a big-box retailer (+75k sq ft and if the company has $1 billion profits annually) decides to locate in the District they are forced to pay at least $11.75 hourly and provide health benefits.

No fan of Walmart here, but I just can't support legislation that requires different minimum compensation levels based solely on square footage and corporate net profits. In this case, the different minimums are rather substantial.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM

7,248 posts, read 6,663,361 times
It's a double edged sword. There is a very real problem of big box retailers moving in and putting the competition out of business by paying extremely low wages. Worse they often can wrangle cash incentives out of towns because big box stores do attract shoppers from miles around so they end up paying (or rather their customers pay) a lot of sales tax receipts. On one hand big boxes are delivering what many customers want and they do have very efficient delivery and bulk purchasing systems but on the other hand there really is something wrong if most of their employees are on welfare or if the store strong arms cities into giving them subsidies which the competition doesn't get.

My preferred solution is to outlaw giving individual companies or stores subsidies (like a break on local property taxes) and I do see the welfare for workers problem as very real in places like Walmart but I don't think charging different minimum wages is the right solution. I'm at a lose for what is the right solution though especially since the big box stores will just end up closing their stores in DC and opening ones just across the border in Virginia.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,831,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Wal-Mart opposing D.C.'s big box living wage bill - Washington Business Journal

Pretty much if a big-box retailer (+75k sq ft and if the company has $1 billion profits annually) decides to locate in the District they are forced to pay at least $11.75 hourly and provide health benefits. I'm tired of companies such as Wal-Mart completely milking cities and having workers paid extremely low-salaries requiring them to need welfare assistance to survive. Of course companies will say it will stunt economic development across the city but in reality, a store like Wal-Mart isn't even needed in our city therefore if they want to come and milk us, we're going to charge you for it. I know Wal-Mart has always been the target of finger pointing but its really just easy to point them out, they need to increase their wages.

What do you guys think a policy like this? Of course I don't believe the federal gov't should get involved and force those companies to pay more, but at a local level I think its the only way to help the community rather than just helping the companies.

*My apologies, I meant to say 'big-box retailers'.
definitely would keep wal mart out. So no jobs and more expensive items for DC .
The good thing is DC is very wealthy and probably does not need jobs or cheaper prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies