U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM

3,272 posts, read 5,411,008 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart opposing D.C.'s big box living wage bill - Washington Business Journal

Pretty much if a big-box retailer (+75k sq ft and if the company has $1 billion profits annually) decides to locate in the District they are forced to pay at least $11.75 hourly and provide health benefits. I'm tired of companies such as Wal-Mart completely milking cities and having workers paid extremely low-salaries requiring them to need welfare assistance to survive. Of course companies will say it will stunt economic development across the city but in reality, a store like Wal-Mart isn't even needed in our city therefore if they want to come and milk us, we're going to charge you for it. I know Wal-Mart has always been the target of finger pointing but its really just easy to point them out, they need to increase their wages.

What do you guys think a policy like this? Of course I don't believe the federal gov't should get involved and force those companies to pay more, but at a local level I think its the only way to help the community rather than just helping the companies.

*My apologies, I meant to say 'big-box retailers'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,675,284 times
WellI think once DC is hot by cuts they will cahnge there story o competion. DC has not suffered the econmic downturn as others have because of continued federal spending increase. No different than state poublic sector workers who ebcause of stimulus spendig goig to them did not for two years.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM

504 posts, read 395,336 times
I dont mind subsidizing a true small business with my tax dollars in the form of welfare and assistance for people working for a fledgling business that cannot provide all the benefits of Major Corporations. I absolutley HATE the fact that the WALTON FAMILY is providing cheap chinese made junk and raking in Billions while sticking the local state and Federal Govt with the bill for their workers. BUT THATS WHAT "WE" GET FOR BEING STUPID AND LOOKING THE OTHER WAY WHEN OUR POLITICIANS ARE OBVIOUSLY IN THEIR POCKETS!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
WellI think once DC is hot by cuts they will cahnge there story o competion. DC has not suffered the econmic downturn as others have because of continued federal spending increase. No different than state poublic sector workers who ebcause of stimulus spendig goig to them did not for two years.
I apologize, but I can't understand what you're saying please iterate for me. From what I understand, you're saying DC is fully supported by the Federal Gov't expansion? That's not entirely true, DC metro as a whole has pretty much always been in growth mode even when the city wasn't as hot as it is today. Want evidence of that? Look at Tyson, Silver Spring, Rosslyn, Crystal City, Bethesda, etc. they all we're still continued to be fairly large exurbs, and growing even during the 90's at the height of the drug epidemic in DC. Now DC has cleaned up and the growth has moved back into the city but the exurbs continue to grow as well. Am I discrediting the gov't for the growth? No, but DC has pretty much always been a prosperous metropolitan area, the city has just began to become that way recently through gentrification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
I dont mind subsidizing a true small business with my tax dollars in the form of welfare and assistance for people working for a fledgling business that cannot provide all the benefits of Major Corporations. I absolutley HATE the fact that the WALTON FAMILY is providing cheap chinese made junk and raking in Billions while sticking the local state and Federal Govt with the bill for their workers. BUT THATS WHAT "WE" GET FOR BEING STUPID AND LOOKING THE OTHER WAY WHEN OUR POLITICIANS ARE OBVIOUSLY IN THEIR POCKETS!!!
Agreed, I want more small-business in this nation and we are truly punishing them. Personally I want to close corporate loop-holes while reducing taxation on companies (both small and large), so corporations such as Wal-Mart will pay more while the small-businesses will be paying less to spur growth amongst them. I don't have a problem with the wealthy becoming wealthier but for us to foot the bill for that is wrong; there is no need for them to be drastically underpaying their workers as they do now. So a policy like this one is what's needed, especially in a city as expensive as DC, to stop their policy on low-wages and have us paying for welfare benefits. Personally if I we're Wal-Mart I'd want to pay my workers $11 to improve the companies image, its damaged in many peoples eyes including mine; therefore paying them more could be a small investment that could lure more people that are also anti-Wal-Mart.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,331,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
You mean that's what we get for supporting them by purchasing goods at their stores...

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,563,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Wal-Mart opposing D.C.'s big box living wage bill - Washington Business Journal

Pretty much if a big-box retailer (+75k sq ft and if the company has $1 billion profits annually) decides to locate in the District they are forced to pay at least $11.75 hourly and provide health benefits. I'm tired of companies such as Wal-Mart completely milking cities and having workers paid extremely low-salaries requiring them to need welfare assistance to survive. Of course companies will say it will stunt economic development across the city but in reality, a store like Wal-Mart isn't even needed in our city therefore if they want to come and milk us, we're going to charge you for it. I know Wal-Mart has always been the target of finger pointing but its really just easy to point them out, they need to increase their wages.

What do you guys think a policy like this? Of course I don't believe the federal gov't should get involved and force those companies to pay more, but at a local level I think its the only way to help the community rather than just helping the companies.

*My apologies, I meant to say 'big-box retailers'.
It's a stupid policy, but if some city or state decides that people worth less than $11.75 should not work who am I to argue - and that is basically what they are saying. San Francisco did this a while back, bacisally requiring employers to raise prices or move out of the city.

Instead of asking why these companies are paying minimum wage why don't cities ask why people are working for minimum wage. Typically, teenagers work for min wage, but as min wage increases so does their unemployment and anyone who is at a similar skill level. Why don't cities ask why people that can't afford families are having families?

You don't qualify for public assistance just because you work for a low wage. I'm pretty sure you have to have kids and have a low wage, but how is that Walmart's fault? WM doesn't force anyone to have kids, they provide insurance and discounts, they don't cap your raises, and they have to sell products at a price people will pay.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,018,906 times
That's racist!

Just another way of forcing blacks to pay more than they would otherwise. Last time I was there a small Asian market had one corner locked up. Prices were outrageous.

Always keeping the black man down!

In other news, Wal-Mart submitted plans for their new "metro floor plan" to the DC planning board. The new plan boasts 74,999' of the most popular SKU's.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's a stupid policy, but if some city or state decides that people worth less than $11.75 should not work who am I to argue - and that is basically what they are saying. San Francisco did this a while back, bacisally requiring employers to raise prices or move out of the city.

Instead of asking why these companies are paying minimum wage why don't cities ask why people are working for minimum wage. Typically, teenagers work for min wage, but as min wage increases so does their unemployment and anyone who is at a similar skill level. Why don't cities ask why people that can't afford families are having families?

You don't qualify for public assistance just because you work for a low wage. I'm pretty sure you have to have kids and have a low wage, but how is that Walmart's fault? WM doesn't force anyone to have kids, they provide insurance and discounts, they don't cap your raises, and they have to sell products at a price people will pay.
Its their choice to milk our communities by offering low-prices that are really too un-competetive to keep small business owners in business. We give them corporate welfare with tax-credits, and all they really do is take from us while providing low-wages that harm our communities. You're correct, maybe the teenagers or even adults who work there don't have the credentials to have a better job but that doesn't mean their slaves, does it? Pay them a little better in effort to reduce the amount of welfare recipients or at least the amount of benefits.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,507,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I like this policy against big-box retailer.
I don't.

[if you don't like working for minimum wage, don't work there]

Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,444,156 times
How dumb does one have to be to not know they can shop somewhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies