U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,980,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It is no way a myth. You gun grabbers are so wanting to take the rights of the people away, that you are willing to do anything to get what you want. The truth is guns have saved many people from certain death. It might have saved the store owners life tonight.
Why don't you post all those reports of lives saved over the last few days? Again, since the first of February there have been at least 39 deaths from guns, either homicide of accident, including six children, one only 3 - years - old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM

21,535 posts, read 11,611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
In the meanwhile, about 33 innocent lives were lost today due to gun violence.
The math works in the gun nut's head though.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM

7,178 posts, read 6,470,659 times
Again this is earth It is full of nuts. I live in America and am glad that me and my neighbors have the right to defend ourselves against nuts. feel free to not follow that practice .just beg the nut to spare you and take your chances.good luck

Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Again this is earth It is full of nuts. I live in America and am glad that me and my neighbors have the right to defend ourselves against nuts. feel free to not follow that practice .just beg the nut to spare you and take your chances.good luck
If there's one thing you should have gotten from the incidents I posted --- it's that most gun crime is not due to the proverbial "nut" or stranger. It is a member of your family who gets mad, or a 3-year-old who shoots himself to death after handling the hand gun left lying around by a careless parent, or the friend whose Super Bowl party you are attending.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,784,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A store in the Tacony section of Philly was held up at gunpoint tonight, but luckily, the store owner was trained in hand gun use.

The 19 year old criminal fired one shot and the 56 year old store owner fired back, hitting the theif dead center in the chest!

Kudos!
Press ignores lives saved by firearms Your main stream media ignores again.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM

44,840 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Sorry but you're talking apples and oranges. Infectious diseases is an entirely different thing.

Are you trying to say that the U.S. doesn't have an excessive level of gun violence?
I'm not "trying" to say anything - I AM saying something very clearly. I'll repeat it in case you missed it.

1.3 percent of deaths are caused by firearms. There are at least 100 causes of death - many EXTREMELY preventable (measles and whooping cough just to name a few) that cause many more deaths in the US.

Like I said - I'm putting some perspective on the hysteria. If people want to stop needless, painful, and truly tragic deaths, why not start with whooping cough - which kills many more children than anyone handling a gun each year.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Press ignores lives saved by firearms Your main stream media ignores again.
...or it doesn't happen nearly as frequently as gun nuts fantasize it does...

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 PM

8,233 posts, read 11,275,050 times
Quote:
In the meanwhile, about 33 innocent lives were lost today due to gun violence.

good guys 1 - bad guys 33 such great strides.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,337,442 times
I don't understand the gun debate. I don't understand how one poster can blanket the forum with incidents where the perpetrator has clearly broken current law to defend a point.

I don't understand how anyone could put the control of citizens rights to defend themselves to an ever changing federal government.

I don't understand how it is not clear that the 2nd Amendment was intended to protect us from that ever changing government above all else.

I don't understand how some people can not recognize that it is the moral decay of the fabric of our nation that is leading to much of the violence we see today.

I don't understand how many of the voices for gun control don't recognize that they are part of the decay.

I do understand that as a 34 year old Georgian, I am in the minority in this country as to how we should proceed.

I understand that my very existence is hated by many people not in my region.

I understand that I am considered a non-thinking redneck, a bigot, a racist, and an impediment to progress in our great nation. I live in "flyover country".

That said, I will continue to voice my opinion, and exercise my rights. I would as soon as die rather than abandon my principles. As sure as you are that you are right, I am more assured that you are wrong. I understand your point of view. You have no time for mine. Where is the compromise in that? There is none. Yet you expect one?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,600,103 times
Maybe if he held the criminals hand and sang Kumbaya Obama this tragedy could have been avoided. Liberals think criminals will submit to background checks and will register their firearms, why not submit to a song of empathy from a victim to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies