U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 AM

7,322 posts, read 3,778,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Most of which are criminals like the one in this story and are no loss to society. I'm sure you couldn't care less about the 1,000 people who SAVED lives with guns today, that doesn't fit with your agenda.
Geez,talk about living in a fantasy world! Good thing this family kept guns in their home....or maybe not.
NM Boy, 15, Kills His Family With 'Multiple' Weapons | Crooks and Liars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,277,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yeah, why the heck didn't this 12-year-old girl and 11-year-old boy have guns?

Feb 4, 2013
Erwin, Tenn. --
Friends and neighbors held a candlelight vigil Monday night to mourn the death of a family following an apparent triple murder and suicide in Erwin on Saturday.

Dozens of people crowded around a small memorial outside the Hughes family home lighting candles and joining in prayer.

Bridget N. Hughes, 39, Whitney Hughes 12, and Austin Hughes, 11 were allegedly shot to death by husband and father, Herbert Clyde Hughes Jr., 47."

Wow, it's beginning to look like having a father with a gun, no doubt to protect from intruders, is quite dangerous for the children and women who live there.

Friends, neighbors mourn loss of Erwin family | WJHL.com
My bet is that these people would still be dead with or without a gun.

Or does no one in your "ban guns" fantasy land ever kill themselves by other means?

I would guess that there were more murders today without guns than with.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Fewer guns in fewer hands.

Universal background checks.

Stiffer penalties for gun trafficking and straw purchases.

More responsibility by gun owners.

Reality checks on what gun ownership means. Having a gun in the home statistically increases your chances of dying from homicide.

The idea that youu need a gun to defend yourself form rampant home invaders is a myth --- guns are far more likely to be used by family members and friends against each other.

And vanquishing the myth that guns save lives ---they don't. In real life, they are used far more often to end lives.
There's that word "responsible" being used by another leftie all of a sudden.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
The thread was about all the innocent lives saved by guns. I know that is a myth, and I am responding to that, so, I'm right on topic.

Funny, how posting real gun deaths as opposed to gun owners' fantasies about guns is called a rant. The truth hurts, doesn't it?
You seem to take some sort of glee from innocent people's deaths.

I doubt you would pass a "universal background check".

Yes, I do take glee from seeing criminals gunned down before killing an innocent person.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 AM

7,322 posts, read 3,778,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

I have used a gun to defend myself. There is no "official record" of this.

I didn't even have to fire the gun. All I had to do was hold it up for "the bad guys" to see - and they took off like bats out of hell.
Why would someone who used a gun to chase away a bad guy NOT call the police.That`s why the "guns are used to prevent 2 million crimes a year" stories are laughable.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 AM

44,989 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Why would someone who used a gun to chase away a bad guy NOT call the police.That`s why the "guns are used to prevent 2 million crimes a year" stories are laughable.

This was before the age of cell phones for starters - just putting some perspective on it.

I was on a desolate country road all by myself. A small white pickup truck with two scruffy looking young white guys passed me and then slowed to a crawl ahead of me. I couldn't pass them - when I tried, they would veer over the center line. They got slower and slower and then finally stopped. They got out of the truck. They were white, brownish blonde hair, t-shirts and blue jeans, medium build - in other words about as non descript as you can get. They were definitely not on any sort of goodwill mission and were leering at me as they sauntered toward my car.

I pulled my handgun out of the glove compartment and held it up for them to see - and pointed it slowly at one of them.

Their jaws dropped and they stopped in their tracks, and then jumped back in their truck and took off.

I didn't have time to write down their license plate number.

Do you have any idea how many small white trucks with two scruffy young white guys are driving around in East Texas at any given moment? It would have been a colossal waste of my time, and tax payer money, to find a pay phone and call the police.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 AM

27,610 posts, read 17,670,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Hand gun, not an assault rifle with a barrel magazine.
Just what in the hell is a barrel magazine? That's a new one, even for ignorant gun banners.

Is it sort of like one of those "magazine clips"?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,571,433 times
Quote:
In the meanwhile, about 33 innocent lives were lost today due to gun violence.

FACEPALM

Are you sad that this store owner as armed by his right and now is not dead?

Do you advocate letting innocent citizens die so that your idiotic progressive policies can make you feel good while criminals still have GUNS.....

Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM

10,032 posts, read 7,130,533 times
Quote:
You mean like these kids shot to death by their father yesterday?

"The Calaveras County Sheriff's Office has identified the three people killed in the suspected murder suicide in Murphys. The body of 54-year-old Phillip Marshall, and his two juvenile children, were found inside their home in the Forest Meadows subdivision yesterday afternoon.

All three died from gunshot wounds to the head.

The children were 17-year-old Alex Marshall and 14-year-old Macaila Marshall. The family dog was also found dead. The Sheriff's Office believes that Phillip shot his children, and then turned the gun on himself. "

W.C. Varones: Greenspan's Body Count: Phillip Marshall, Alex Marshall, Macaila Marshall
If this guy was sick enough to kill his own kids do you really believe that not having access to a gun would have stopped him?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 AM

10,032 posts, read 7,130,533 times
Quote:
Or how about this recent gun death at a Superbowl party?

"Bailey was hosting a Super Bowl party at his home in the 4800 block of Homestead Road when the victim, 22-year-old Josh Anderson, was shot and killed.

According to court documents, Bailey called 911 around 8:30 p.m. to report the shooting, saying "my gun accidentally went off," "I did not know it had a bullet in the chamber," and "I'm going to jail."

Read more: Riverside man charged in fatal Super Bowl party shooting

Gosh, looks like I'm not having any trouble finding more incidents in which guns killed someone than incidents in which they saved lives.
This guy was drunk and accidentally shot someone. I wonder how many stories I can find where someone who was drunk got behind the wheel of a car and accidentally killed someone. Irresponsible people are everywhere. Should we ban cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies