Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yep, that yodeling hurt the throat.
I listened to a lot more Morse from Iron Curtain military people than from Americans and most of it in flat land areas in Germany and Italy. They didn't want us to know what they were sending but we cheated and listened to them on the air waves. They had counterparts and listened to us, too.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I haven't used Morse since 1957 when I got out of the Army. However, old Algore hadn't daveloped the internet yet back then. Morse was a lot faster than mail or shouting from hilltops.

Now you can broadcast your message via ALGOREzeera.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
LoL I love No. 6 on that list.

Here's more-

American Math Education has failed terribly in most public schools, here's why:
If you can get your hands on American math education books from the Sixties or earlier, you’ll see what I mean at a glance:

• I have an Algebra book from 1960 that is harder than the Algebra 2 book the Honors students at my school use.

• I have a Trigonometry book from the 1950’s that would intimidate almost any A.P. Calculus student I have taught.

• I have an Arithmetic book from the early 1900’s that has an expectation of resourcefulness in every day math far beyond what is expected of the most able students I encounter.

On top of all this, high schools across the nation are dropping AP classes because "students of color" can't compete with the elite white/asian students and that makes them feel bad so therefore it's racist.

This is called being progressive. Thanks for the dumbing-down, liberal educators.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Here's more-

If you can get your hands on American math education books from the Sixties or earlier, you’ll see what I mean at a glance:

• I have an Algebra book from 1960 that is harder than the Algebra 2 book the Honors students at my school use.

• I have a Trigonometry book from the 1950’s that would intimidate almost any A.P. Calculus student I have taught.

• I have an Arithmetic book from the early 1900’s that has an expectation of resourcefulness in every day math far beyond what is expected of the most able students I encounter.

On top of all this, high schools across the nation are dropping AP classes because "students of color" can't compete with the elite white/asian students and that makes them feel bad so therefore it's racist.

This is called being progressive. Thanks for the dumbing-down, liberal educators.
Liberal educators use calculators.

This way they can leave the logic in the calculator freeing their minds up for . . . well, for . . . . for more important things.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
I think that progressives have taken us down a real path toward absolute stupidity. Maybe I should have said 54 years.

I have to add on a little bit for 2013.

7. Teaching Math In 2013
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says it's OK anyway cuz it's redistributing the wealth.

Fifty Two Years of math 1959
Here is a junior high math problem from one of my kids tests for you....

If the mean of ages of the 24 students in your classroom is 13.7 years old, how is the mean affected when you include the teacher’s age of 60 in your data?

Your post reeks of "old curmugeon" complaining about having walked up hill both ways and how penny candy now costs TEN CENTS!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Here's more-

*shrug* I have excel spreadsheets that would make old farts curl up in a ball with their slide rule and suck thier thumbs.

LOL....seriously, just so much hyperbole on these topics.

P.S. My oldest will be in AP Calc next year, as a sophmore.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Yeah and those slide rules are no match for finite element analysis. I don't think those fellas using the slide rules would have turned down a modern workstation with a decent FEA program on it.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
Liberal educators use calculators.

This way they can leave the logic in the calculator freeing their minds up for . . . well, for . . . . for more important things.
Any serious math student that isn't proficient in highschool with an advanced calculator is an idiot.

NOBODY sit's down with pencil, paper etc. to figure out stuff in my field. It's spreadsheets, databases etc....heck I can't remember the time I last used a calculator.

The concepts haven't changed but you need to be proficient with the current tools.

If they are looking for a guy to work on GPS coordinate systems they are going to hire the guy with the programming skills....not the guy that can show them on paper how to solve the triple integral in the interview.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM

57 posts, read 72,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Kids are so much smarter than the ones in 1959 it's not even funny.

Speak for your own kids, mine do just fine.

That and a lot of the math is completely obsolete. That's what computers are largely for these days, use your brain power for something else, like learning to write software for said computer.

The idea of some golly gee wiz type from 1959 being smarter than a kid today is laughable in my mind. No study or statistic, no matter how skewed, would change my mind from the obvious. It's you, no us. Perhaps you should spend more time with your kids?

You must be old to think something silly like that.

I almost bet the people from the civil war era thought they were more intelligent than the people of 1959, they would be wrong as well. Being able to shoe a horse does not make you smart. It makes you outdated. Get a clue, lol.
I'm not so sure your kids ARE fine. There are a lot of idiots who know how to turn on a computer, poke buttons on a calculator and run the remote for the TV. That has nothing to do with the ability to solve problems, understand quickly and yet be able to create great discoveries through slow, deliberate thought processes.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies