Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM

861 posts, read 1,452,619 times

Advertisements

Has anyone figured out the dark sorcery magic known as Algebra 2 yet???

Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,475,003 times
Wink Time to come clean, roy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that progressives have taken us down a real path toward absolute stupidity. Maybe I should have said 54 years.

I have to add on a little bit for 2013.

7. Teaching Math In 2013
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says it's OK anyway cuz it's redistributing the wealth.

Fifty Two Years of math 1959

From a lot of the loony posts on this forum, one could conclude that similar dumbing down occurred in government and economics courses.

BTW, weren't you a social studies teacher?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,337,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
How are you with an abacus and a sundial?
Do you use google maps or a sextant?
Morse code or the internet?
So you advocate lazy brains that can't add and subtract in favor of technology that does it for you ?
Technology can be a useful tool or a crippling crutch.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that progressives have taken us down a real path toward absolute stupidity. Maybe I should have said 54 years.

I have to add on a little bit for 2013.

7. Teaching Math In 2013
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says it's OK anyway cuz it's redistributing the wealth.

Fifty Two Years of math 1959
First of all, where did you get that thread because it sounds like a joke..."she stood there and cried?" I doubt it. Yah, I'm sure that cashier had never had to make change before. Secondly, what the heck is your point here? That somehow people could figure out your change in the fifties but they now cry when they do it? Your thread looks like someone just typed a weird word document to make some random point. And you may even have a case that the educational system was better in the fifties but you sure didn't prove it.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,337,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Any serious math student that isn't proficient in highschool with an advanced calculator is an idiot.

NOBODY sit's down with pencil, paper etc. to figure out stuff in my field. It's spreadsheets, databases etc....heck I can't remember the time I last used a calculator.

The concepts haven't changed but you need to be proficient with the current tools.

If they are looking for a guy to work on GPS coordinate systems they are going to hire the guy with the programming skills....not the guy that can show them on paper how to solve the triple integral in the interview.
How else do you learn and understand the concepts if you don't do math without a calculator ?
That's what teaching the kids is all about.

Order of operation in Algebra is an important fundamental concept but is totally lost when it's just plugged into a scientific calculator because the kids don't realize the calculator is doing the order of operations in the software.

You use the tools after you learn and practice and understand the concepts.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,215,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
From a lot of the loony posts on this forum, one could conclude that similar dumbing down occurred in government and economics courses.

BTW, weren't you a social studies teacher?
Yep, government but not economics. Nice try but I just taught from the Constitution and my text book. Back then, it was 1986, we hadn't politicked things so much so we could teach kids what and why about government.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
First of all, where did you get that thread because it sounds like a joke..."she stood there and cried?" I doubt it. Yah, I'm sure that cashier had never had to make change before. Secondly, what the heck is your point here? That somehow people could figure out your change in the fifties but they now cry when they do it? Your thread looks like someone just typed a weird word document to make some random point. And you may even have a case that the educational system was better in the fifties but you sure didn't prove it.
I didn't own a gun till December 2012, so I am not sure you are making a valid argument. The dumbing down has been successful. Have you ever seen the movie that is showed to most elementary students at some point, obviously made by progressives called "The Story of Stuff". If not you surely do need to see it.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM

563 posts, read 806,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
On top of all this, high schools across the nation are dropping AP classes because "students of color" can't compete with the elite white/asian students and that makes them feel bad so therefore it's racist.
Statistics don't agree. The number of students taking AP classes have surged over the years with more 'students of color' especially taking APs. If you wish to argue about how rigorous (or not) an AP class is, take that to the Education forum. Some high schools are dropping AP classes for reasons such as defunding due to lower tax revenue or the belief that it is pure memorization over actual learning (thus causing the movement towards International Baccalaureate and International A-levels)

Quote:
In 2008, over 1.5 million students in the United States took at least one AP exam, a number that has more than doubled since 10 years ago. While the number of students taking an AP exam increased for all racial and ethnic groups, the largest relative increase in AP exam taking was among Black students. Just over 31,000 Black students participated in 1999, while more than 108,500 Black students participated in 2008. In addition, Hispanic student participation in AP exam taking has more than tripled over the same time period, increasing from 62,900 students to 209,700 students.
https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2010/2010015/indicator3_14.asp

Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How else do you learn and understand the concepts if you don't do math without a calculator ?
That's what teaching the kids is all about.

Order of operation in Algebra is an important fundamental concept but is totally lost when it's just plugged into a scientific calculator because the kids don't realize the calculator is doing the order of operations in the software.

You use the tools after you learn and practice and understand the concepts.
I will never forget my son, in the 7th grade, telling me I didn't have to sit with him when he did his math. He learned that I just couldn't handle numbers like 23 to the 10th power as well as his calculator could so he told me that finally I didn't have to be there any more. Was I ever happy. Maybe the reason he didn't want me around was that he couldn't work fractions without his "help". When he got ready to go to a school for diesel mechanics he was told that he knew all the math he needed to know since he could use decimals and fractions. The best part of this story is that I told him he needed to take general mathematics in high school, and he sure did. He told his counselor that I had said that and refused to take calculus. When he first went back into that building after going to school he went to the woman and told her that he was sure glad he didn't take calculus since he hadn't used anything from it in a school where knowing fractions and how to use them was so important.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,318,841 times
I don't know what the hell you're talking about, Roy. My eighth-grader is studying Geometry. She finished Algebra I in seventh grade. My junior is finishing up Calculus I. My youngest is on a similar track. They are not unusual in our public -- yes, public! -- school district. In fact, our neighbor's daughter is taking Calculus I as a freshman. Who are these kids who can't make change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.