Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obama isn't going to do do anything to get jobs for Americans which is why he only keeps extending unemployment handouts and once the unemployment is gone, then they can get disability.

Obama is promsing to bring in many more immigrants, add millions to the labor pool, that's how little he intends to do anything about the problem of too few jobs.
Which bill or law is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Which bill or law is this?
Obama extended unemployment handouts recently -- Obama doesn't have to do things by bills or laws, he does them by edict.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
I don't think there is much he can do really. The meat and potatoes of this country are now in India and Beijing. What we have left is people with degrees competing for unskilled service jobs that teenagers should be doing, and "jumped the shark" career jobs that will never last. There is no more entry level, there is no more "starting out at the bottom". It doesn't exist anymore. The only thing left is for the safety net to implode. Government can no longer support people. Then the dollar collapses. Then riots. Who can be blamed?

A book can be written telling you who and what is to blame.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I don't think there is much he can do really. The meat and potatoes of this country are now in India and Beijing. What we have left is people with degrees competing for unskilled service jobs that teenagers should be doing, and "jumped the shark" career jobs that will never last. There is no more entry level, there is no more "starting out at the bottom". It doesn't exist anymore. The only thing left is for the safety net to implode. Government can no longer support people. Then the dollar collapses. Then riots. Who can be blamed?

A book can be written telling you who and what is to blame.
Not so. One can still work their way up but there are so many incompetent and entitled workers who are unwilling to do this.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM

I know plenty of people including myself who are willing to work fast food, retail and other menial jobs but there is too much competition and the hiring process is a crap shoot. All I have is a G.E.D. diploma. You'd think I wouldn't have a problem getting said fast food job. But guess what? I can't get the fast food job! The people who are getting the job over me are people who know the manager, elderly people, or people with master degrees. It's the same for all the other jobs.

Hence why I say....starting from the bottom doesn't exist. For me, it really doesn't.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people including myself who are willing to work fast food, retail and other menial jobs but there is too much competition and the hiring process is a crap shoot. All I have is a G.E.D. diploma. You'd think I wouldn't have a problem getting said fast food job. But guess what? I can't get the fast food job! The people who are getting the job over me are people who know the manager, elderly people, or people with master degrees. It's the same for all the other jobs.

Hence why I say....starting from the bottom doesn't exist. For me, it really doesn't.
Do you have any work experience at all? How many places have you applied? How about volunteer work? That can be something that looks good on an application if you have no work experience.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM

I'm 23. All I have worked is seasonal jobs because that's all I could find. It just burns me when people say it's so easy to get those kind of jobs when it really isn't. They won't even call me up for an interview. I have no friends to "get me in". I have no one really. I'm misunderstood to the rest of the people in this world.

Last edited by parried; 02-07-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
SSDI is not a handout. In order to collect SSDI, you need to have worked for a number of years paying into the system to qualify. 10+ years. The amount you get goes by what you paid in, usually $1500 a month. Not enough to live on. Please do some research before you go around spreading hate speech against people with real disabilities.
I don't know all of the requirments to collect, but I know several people who are quite capable of working, but are quite happy to collect $400 or $500 a month. I know one woman who faked a mental disability to collect and refuses to work, she say's she is retired. Imagine that, retired at 35yrs. It has become to easy to collect and should be reserved for those who are truly disabled, like it used to be.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm sure it also has nothing to do with a bunch of aging-but-not-old-enough-for-SSI boomers deciding they'd rather take an easy retirement than work anymore.
Most I know on ss dis are younger lazy people. Perhaps the ''baby boomer's'' worked for 40 plus yrs to raise disrespectful punks like yourself and are too busted up to work any more.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
This issue keeps popping up .

Here is what I wrote a few weeks back:

SSDI roles soar

Quote:
Our office is certainly not paying more than we did a decade ago (percentage wise). Of course, when I started in 1988 there were a total of 3 judges (and three attorneys, including me). Now we have ten of each, due to the caseload (again, mainly Generation X'ers).

Virtually all of our judges are veterans are not considered 'liberal' by any means
There, I fixed it for ya!

Last edited by Ghostrider275452; 02-09-2013 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies