U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,292 posts, read 14,031,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I really don't know what 'bad' decisions I have made. I stayed in school, got great grades, didn't do crime or kids out of wedlock or drugs or gangs or any of those Really Bad Things people describe as Culture of Poverty.

And I would jump at the chance to go back to school and learn a skill, where do I sign up?
try the department of labor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,034,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The rules that the federal government put in place are making the rich richer. It's very, very tough to get small business loans, personal loans and mortgages now since the government has poisoned the waters.

Do you actually think that the stock market is based on a good economy? That these people with ties to the government will throw money out of windows to the masses?

Ask yourself this.....if the obama administration is so concerned with the "middle class", why are the poor getting more, the Wall Street types getting more, but you're getting less?

It's into his 5th year, and things are worse than when he started.

I'm poor and I'm not getting more. What am I missing here?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,103,867 times
Quote:
I really don't know what 'bad' decisions I have made. I stayed in school, got great grades, didn't do crime or kids out of wedlock or drugs or gangs or any of those Really Bad Things people describe as Culture of Poverty.

And I would jump at the chance to go back to school and learn a skill, where do I sign up?
There should be adult education centers around where you live, or a state university system. My sister was a mother and wife for many years. Her husband's job opportunities in construction took a nose dive, so she decided to put herself thru nursing school, four years ago. She finally graduated and is now making good money.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
try the department of labor

How can they help?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
There should be adult education centers around where you live, or a state university system. My sister was a mother and wife for many years. Her husband's job opportunities in construction took a nose dive, so she decided to put herself thru nursing school, four years ago. She finally graduated and is now making good money.

These places insist on cash up front, which I lack.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
Quote:

you dont know what "bad" decisions you have made

let's see:

you 50+ years old

you HAVE NOT done any self improvement or training for anything

you yourself state you are perfectly satisfied being a deli worker and getting extra cash under the table (off the books not paying into the system)

you yourself have said your on track to collect a 2/3 pension
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
I'm on track to get $900 a month from Social Security. Take that away and I'm in deep doo doo. Poor grandpa, that will be me in a few years.b

What's that you say, I should have saved for retirement? How much do you realistically expect people to save on a $15K income?
so let's see if I get this straight

your 50 something...and supposedly UNSKILLED (at 50...really?????)

you settle for a 15k a year job

save NOTHING

and then plan on getting a 2/3 pension when you retire (900/month is over 10k a year )

btw your contributions to ss 6%...6% of 15k is 900 A YEAR

so you think it good that you contribut 900 a year (and your employeer matches it) for you to get 900/month????? how liberal of you

Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
How can they help?
which proves you have never even tried

Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Almost every one of these former burger flippers was in HIGH SCHOOL, geez. Flipping hambuirgers in high school does not detract from future advancement opportunities; on the contrary working in high school enhances them.

It's the people who are flipping hamburgers at 25 who are stuck in a class system. This is what liberals describe as the 'secondary' job/labor/employment sector, where jobs, pay and benefits (if any) suck, workers are disposable, and advancement opportunities are scarce.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM

66,437 posts, read 30,294,925 times
Quote:
I really don't know what 'bad' decisions I have made. I stayed in school, got great grades
You earned a worthless liberal arts degree. Then lost your job and defaulted on your student loan(s).

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM

66,437 posts, read 30,294,925 times
Quote:
In a free market, people like you would not be able to prevent a willing property owner from selling me a home I can afford to buy
I prevent nothing of the kind.

Public officials that YOU and others like you elect (and their appointees) make those restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies