Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It depends on what you know...

If you were raised generationally dependant on the Government... that is the way of life you are most familiar with...

I have seen it many times... it is not so much a person says I'm going to have a child to get on welfare... the reality is once you do have that child at a young age and you are eligible for assistance... it can become a way of life... especially when getting a housing voucher is dependant on one thing... family size...

It can become very difficult to break generational dependence in single parent homes... of course some do succeed... I have seen it a few times.

The reality is few leave Section 8 voluntarily and those that do are truly exceptions.

"Have you ever considered getting a job and becoming a productive member of society"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Points for clarification...

Europe isn't doing that well and Germany has it's problems. I hear so many stories from engineers and tech in Germany concerned the future is very bleak for their children.

As to disparity between rich and poor...

I have a hard time understanding when you look at the truly wealthy and the destitute in the late 1800's up through the 1920's.... wealth in today's dollars has never been matched...
Yep. The people who say that trickle down doesn't work generally use only disparity to make their claims. They constantly harp on how much more the wealthy have as compared to the poor. What they don't say is that the poor now have more than they used to have. They simply imply that it's a zero sum game, so if they can show the rich are richer, then the poor must necessarily be poorer. But it's not so.

The true measure of whether trickle down worked or not isn't how rich the rich are. Are the poor better off under trickle down policies than they were? That's the true measure. It's irrelevant whether the rich have slightly more or much more than the poor. What's relevant is whether the standard of living of the poor was raised or not. How the rich compare to the poor is just smoke and mirrors. What's relevant is how the poor of today compare to the poor of yesterday. If you cut the taxes of the rich, and the poor's standard living raised then trickle down did trickle down.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"Have you ever considered getting a job and becoming a productive member of society"?
I'll take it this is a rhetorical question?

I have 21+ years as a medical engineer... guess all depends on your definition of productive.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Where are Seniors exempt from Property Taxes? Might want to move there in 30 years.

Deep in the heart of Texas.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Deep in the heart of Texas.
Thanks for the info... helps me understand why several of the retired I know sold their homes of decades in California and moved to Texas...

Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I'll take it this is a rhetorical question?

I have 21+ years as a medical engineer... guess all depends on your definition of productive.

That was NOT directed at YOU...it was directed at the generational welfare types. It's what I have always wanted to ask THEM.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yep. The people who say that trickle down doesn't work generally use only disparity to make their claims. They constantly harp on how much more the wealthy have as compared to the poor. What they don't say is that the poor now have more than they used to have. They simply imply that it's a zero sum game, so if they can show the rich are richer, then the poor must necessarily be poorer. But it's not so.

The true measure of whether trickle down worked or not isn't how rich the rich are. Are the poor better off under trickle down policies than they were? That's the true measure. It's irrelevant whether the rich have slightly more or much more than the poor. What's relevant is whether the standard of living of the poor was raised or not. How the rich compare to the poor is just smoke and mirrors. What's relevant is how the poor of today compare to the poor of yesterday. If you cut the taxes of the rich, and the poor's standard living raised then trickle down did trickle down.

It matters because animals are hierarchical, and humans are certainly no exception. Specifically, it matters to heterosexual males. Conservative George Gilder had a lot to say about this in his early works.

Basically, if you have less money than other men in your culture - and especially if you have less money than the women in your culture - you don't get the girl. At least not the girl you want.

You might have 1.5x as many toys as you had ten years ago, but if your peers have 3x as many toys as you, for practical purposes you are poorer.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
That was NOT directed at YOU...it was directed at the generational welfare types. It's what I have always wanted to ask THEM.
From my limited observations the jobs they are qualified to get don't pay enough to leave the social safety net...

It can be a scary world when everything rests on your shoulders and more so when there are dependants.

One of the people that left Section 8 worked her way up to become a full time city bus driver... for many years she drove part time while rying to get on full time... it did let her be home when her kids got out of school.

The last year I managed the single family home she was renting... she paid 98% of the rent and Section 8 paid 2%...

It was not until she had passed probation and her family was on the city bus medical plan did she leave Section 8...

It also meant no more free lunch at school, no more discounted utilities, county health insurance, rent assistance, etc...

Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
In some ways this has happened... the run down areas were being bought by what the media called urban pioneers... the thing is those cashing out were doing so willingly and often ecstatically...

Also, low income families on Housing Assistance used the portability of their Housing Vouchers to flee the inner city to the outlying areas and in some areas... police were reporting crime that had only been thought of as a big city problem.

And the unsubsidized poor were...cursing the darkness?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
And the unsubsidized poor were...cursing the darkness?
Poor homeowners did great... even run down property that was too costly to maintain for someone just getting by was being snapped up by urban pioneers

Section 8 could transfer

Poor renters had rent control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies