Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
The primary metaphysical tenet of the "trickle down" theology sold to the ordinary American goes like this: if you cut a rich man's financial responsibilities and burdens to his country, and let him instead keep the money he would've owed to his country under normal circumstances, he will automatically feel compelled to invest that money in ways that will rain jobs down on the middle class - thereby putting that money into the pockets of the middle class.
Yes. That's how it works. Who do you think buys all those municipal, school, etc. bonds that enables public facilities to be built while creating jobs for the contractors, etc., at the same time? Who do you think invests in corporations by buying stocks and/or corporate bonds thereby allowing businesses to grow and expand, which creates more jobs?
Quote:
Every time a trickle down scam is pulled on the American public, it has the same effect - the rich stash that money, increase the vast piles of money the rich were already sitting on, and nothing gets "trickled down", so the economy becomes stagnant and has much less activity.

In FACT, after the scam was pulled, and the rich had were sitting on even bigger amounts of money
"Sitting on?" What do you mean by that? Are you under the impression that the "rich" were just hoarding physical cash somewhere and not investing it into stocks and/or bonds that enable economic growth and therefore job creation?

Quote:
the way they thanked this nation was by pulling jobs away from this country at breakneck speed, rendering this country practically jobless, by crushing the people's unions, and by carrying out a series of corporate scams that left this country on its knees.

And THAT is trickle down.
Actually, that was accomplished by globalization and global wage arbitrage (thank Clinton for NAFTA, and Obama for the Pacific Rim version of NAFTA), onerous U.S. regulations, and corporate taxes that are so high that they put corporations operating in the U.S. at a competitive DISadvantage in the global arena.

The demise of private sector unions, and wage stagnancy for no/low-skilled workers, was accomplished by allowing millions of no/low-skilled illegal immigrants to flood the country and compete for those jobs. Illegal immigration further harms the country when those without documentation are paid cash under the table which means that neither they nor their employer pays any state or federal income tax or payroll tax on that cash salary.

Public employee unions are being broken by voting taxpayers who CANNOT afford to pay for public employees' lavish salaries plus benefits anymore. Witness the FAILED governor recall election in Wisconsin.

How anyone can NOT understand what's happening and why is beyond me. The sheer economic ignorance on display in this thread is stunning. In a BAD way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sure there is. Just one obvious example of that is the extra food stamps a woman gets for each child while those kids are fed free breakfast, lunch, and dinner 5-6 days per week at school, after school care, and daycare. So the woman doesn't really need all that much extra in food stamps because she rarely has to feed the kids, but she gets them anyway.

When I was in first grade, there was hardly ever any real food in the house (but vast volumes of beer in the refrigerator), I missed school about half the time, and was fed ketchup sandwiches (as the closest available substitutes to real food).

And if I had ever had any actual daycare I would have been yanked out of that home in a hurry (hopefully).

Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Yes. That's how it works. Who do you think buys all those municipal, school, etc. bonds that enables public facilities to be built while creating jobs for the contractors, etc., at the same time? Who do you think invests in corporations by buying stocks and/or corporate bonds thereby allowing businesses to grow and expand, which creates more jobs?
"Sitting on?" What do you mean by that? Are you under the impression that the "rich" were just hoarding physical cash somewhere and not investing it into stocks and/or bonds that enable economic growth and therefore job creation?

Actually, that was accomplished by globalization and global wage arbitrage (thank Clinton for NAFTA, and Obama for the Pacific Rim version of NAFTA), onerous U.S. regulations, and corporate taxes that are so high that they put corporations operating in the U.S. at a competitive DISadvantage in the global arena.

The demise of private sector unions, and wage stagnancy for no/low-skilled workers, was accomplished by allowing millions of no/low-skilled illegal immigrants to flood the country and compete for those jobs. Illegal immigration further harms the country when those without documentation are paid cash under the table which means that neither they nor their employer pays any state or federal income tax or payroll tax on that cash salary.

Public
employee unions are being broken by voting taxpayers who CANNOT afford to pay for public employees' lavish salaries plus benefits anymore. Witness the FAILED governor recall election in Wisconsin.

How anyone can NOT understand what's happening and why is beyond me. The sheer economic ignorance on display in this thread is stunning. In a BAD way.

Which is why I insist that any 'immigration reform' include provisions to compernsate no/low skilled legal workers (e.g. existing citizens) for the economic damages they have suffered as a result of illegal immigration.

Again, I remind readers that a childless legal burger flipper pays over $500/year in federal income tax.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When I was in first grade, there was hardly ever any real food in the house (but vast volumes of beer in the refrigerator), I missed school about half the time...
That doesn't happen now. Why? Because state and federal $$$ is based on school ATTENDANCE.

PLUS, those receiving public assistance know that their kids will get fed for free at school, daycare, etc., so that means they can spend the extra $$$ per child on themselves.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Which is why I insist that any 'immigration reform' include provisions to compernsate no/low skilled legal workers (e.g. existing citizens) for the economic damages they have suffered as a result of illegal immigration.

Again, I remind readers that a childless legal burger flipper pays over $500/year in federal income tax.
So... which Democrats/liberals are supporting your request?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
That doesn't happen now. Why? Because state and federal $$$ is based on school ATTENDANCE.

PLUS, those receiving public assistance know that their kids will get fed for free at school, daycare, etc., so that means they can spend the extra $$$ per child on themselves.

I am very angry and want to know WhyTF and HowTF the system failed me so badly. This was in NYC.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I am very angry and want to know WhyTF and HowTF the system failed me so badly. This was in NYC.
Why and how? Your age. Welfare benefits have expanded significantly since you were a child.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
So... which Democrats/liberals are supporting your request?

Probably zero, which is why I'd be happy to organize a wedge campaign if I could make enough to live on.

Democrats badly NEED to lose working class support.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Sorry, what's your question again?

We didn't always have the programs we have now, it's possible they weren't around when you were going to school. If they were, well, NYC is large and busy.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Why and how? Your age. Welfare benefits have expanded significantly since you were a child.

So exactly why did I miss so much school (and was considerably underweight) and NothingTF happened (as far as I was aware).

And HowTF did I end up with a pair of flaming alcoholics who were not even related to me?

Maybe I can't handle the truth but I want answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies