U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM

36,246 posts, read 15,875,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
What does Barack Obama and your tax dollars have to do with the USPS? This should be good...
You DO understand that the Post Office is PART of the United States Government and that Obama is President of the United States of America and is charge running the United states Government, with the assistance of Congress?

Contrary to some peoples beliefs, our tax dollars DO go to the Post office.

The Government Owns and RUNS the Post Office. It is inefficient. The gov't has been running the Post Office even before we had a Constitution and they can't do it efficiently.

If they are doing a bad job with over 200 years experience, how do you expect them to handle health care?

Do you feel really feel foolish now with your supposed "intelligent" remark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, the Post Office isn't allowed to offer an Internet service. You can't even go in a post office and get wi-fi.
"Well, the Post Office isn't allowed to offer an Internet service"

Really? We can buy our stamps on line and stop delivery for short periods of time like vacations etc., or maybe you didn't know that.

I am amazed how so many post things claiming them as fact when in reality they don't know what they are talking about.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why is it that when most topics come up (health care, guns, abortion, whatever), so many people use the plight/status/situation of other people to argue their positions ("think of the children!"), but when the USPS comes up, it's "me! me! me!"

And the postal service is one of the FEW things that the federal government is SPECIFICALLY authorized to do! People justify so much waste in government, much of which is arguably unconstitutional, but when it comes to the post office, they demand that it break even or be profitable!

WTF?!

The Pony Express was operated by a PRIVATE COMPANY. Nobody "disbanded" it.
Amazing isn't it? Some are talking about "contracting" mail delivery and some act as though it has never happened and couldn't possibly work.

" From April 1860 through June 1861, the Pony Express operated as a private enterprise. From July 1, 1861, it operated under contract as a mail route until October 24, 1861, when the transcontinental telegraph line was completed, and the Pony Express became a legend'.

"
When gold was discovered in California in 1848, the pioneer movement quickened, and in that year the Post Office Department awarded a contract to the Pacific Mail Steamship Company to carry mail to California"

Many other cases can be found here:
History of the United States Post Office

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-06-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,329,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yeah baby! Let's extrapolate that to everything, why don't we? Let's just say that if A is happening, then B through Z are bound to happen, no question.
It shows that the government doesn't know how to run a business. It should be up to the private/free markets.

Same thing will happen with Obamacare.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM

39,116 posts, read 40,462,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Can you name one company that has the requirement to pre fund their pensions?
I don't need too, I can name thousands of them that are failing because they didn't which is the point you seem to be missing. Some people learn from mistakes, others don't.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In this case absolutely, you don't see the issues that are going to occur 20 or 30 years down the road if it isn't fully funded?

You're comment about "hasn't been born yet" is a bit of red herring.
While I don't agree with the requirement, it should get less of a problem as time goes by.

The fed gov't changed the retirement system in 1984. ALL NEW employees only have 1 choice, FERS.

Under FERS, the gov't contribution is way less then under the old system.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/us...n-loss.html?hp

WASHINGTON — The Postal Service on Thursday reported a record $15.9 billion net loss for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, bringing the financially troubled agency another step closer to insolvency

The widely expected loss, more than triple the service’s loss last year, included accounting expenses of $11.1 billion related to two payments that the agency was supposed to make into its future retiree health benefits fund. But because of revenue losses, the post office was for the first time forced to default on these payments, which were due in August and October. Nearly $5 billion in other losses were because of a decline in revenue from mailing operations. The agency also reached its $15 billion borrowing limit from the Treasury.

This is the point I'm trying to make, it's not just the pensions but declining revenue and as that revenue contiues to decline the pension issue is only going to get worse.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM

4,398 posts, read 8,999,210 times
Quote:
I don't need too, I can name thousands of them that are failing because they didn't which is the point you seem to be missing. Some people learn from mistakes, others don't.
I see you are still avoiding the question! Not unexpected! Lets ask another similiar question. Do UPS and FED-Ex prefund their pensions?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Do UPS and FED-Ex prefund their pensions?
Anyone offering a pension should be obligated to fully fund it whether it's private or public.

Now it's time for you to answer a question. Do you thing the crushing debt that many states and local governements are now facing because of underfunded pensions is an example to follow?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM

4,398 posts, read 8,999,210 times
Quote:
Anyone offering a pension should be obligated to fully fund it whether it's private or public.

Now it's time for you to answer a question. Do you thing the crushing debt that many states and local governements are now facing because of underfunded pensions is an example to follow?
It's not time for me to answer a question because you still haven't answered the one that was posed to you. Can you name any private and public businesses that have the same obligation to pre-fund their pension systems, that the USPS has(including UPS and Fedex)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies