Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Is it over funded? The post office has about 500K employers and their business is in slow decline and will continue to decline. Their bread and butter is first class mail because of the mnadate and that is no longer going to sustain them. We have pensions across this country with huge financial issues, sounds like responsibility to me.
They have to fund it for 75 years into the future. There is no other government agency that must do so. None.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Beginnning in August, no Saturday mail delivery. This is estimated to save $2 billion annually.
If you like the wastefulness of the postal service, you will love Obamacare.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM

88 posts, read 93,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Is it over funded? The post office has about 500K employers and their business is in slow decline and will continue to decline. Their bread and butter is first class mail because of the mnadate and that is no longer going to sustain them. We have pensions across this country with huge financial issues, sounds like responsibility to me.
Wrong. They are funding it for employees who haven't even been born yet. And their bread and butter is not first class mail, it's packages and junk mail.

The USPS went from profitible to billions of dollars in debt overnight because of the pension change. Name any company or entity, public or private, that has that kind of burden? Cite specific examples.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM

88 posts, read 93,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you like the wastefulness of the postal service, you will love Obamacare.
What does Barack Obama and your tax dollars have to do with the USPS? This should be good...

Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What's your source for this? This has been under consideration for a couple of years, yet you are reporting it as though it were new and as though the decision has already been made. I don't believe either of these is correct.

If you're trying to start a discussion I don't mind contributing. I think it would be fine to save USPS funds by eliminating Saturday deliveries.
it appears to be official: my husband just read it as well. I have no problems with eliminating Sat delivery. Just think of what, most of us get in the mail now and how much is done on line. About all we get are a few statements, maybe a good wish card, like Christmas, birthdays etc and a lot of catalogs or solicitations for new CCards or crap about transfering this to that...Very rarely do we get anything of real importance, maybe once or twice a week.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Well when the right makes them fund their pension plan 75 years in advance to try to make them more unstable so they have a reason to shut them down its going to have to cut somewhere.
Yeah, because just ignoring the problem and then cutting the pensions after they retire is the better route to take?

This is the discussion that has been going on in Illinois and other places.

Yeah, just ignore those costs...kick that can down the road until NOBODY will buy your crappy debt instruments and you just stop paying.

That's a recipe for disaster. Did we learn NOTHING from all the companies that went bankrupt over the years and they show pensioners from airlines, steel mills etc. getting 50-70 cents on the dollar?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
They have to fund it for 75 years into the future. There is no other government agency that must do so. None.
The USPS has 500K employees and their business is in decline, as the first class mail customers continue to decline they are going to become less competitive and have less and less revenue in the future to fund these pensions. We have numerous private and public pensions failing across the entire nation becsue they have been underfunded, we don't need another one the taxpayer will have to bail out in the future especially considering the size of this one.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
They should also completely stop delivering to Congress. Let them do without their payoff checks.
Do you really think any of them get their paychecks via the mail? Heck, except for my small retirement check I don't get anything like that via the mail. SS checks do not come through the mail: in fact I don't know much that comes through the mail. I can't imagine anyone being bothered about Sat delivery being stopped? I can remember when we had 2 deliveries a day except Sat.. When the converted to one a day, nothing drastic happened did it?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
it appears to be official: my husband just read it as well. I have no problems with eliminating Sat delivery. Just think of what, most of us get in the mail now and how much is done on line. About all we get are a few statements, maybe a good wish card, like Christmas, birthdays etc and a lot of catalogs or solicitations for new CCards or crap about transfering this to that...Very rarely do we get anything of real importance, maybe once or twice a week.
Yep. It's about freaking time too.

Any private company that takes a decade or so to react to major changes in their industry wouldn't even be around today (well, unless they got huge bailouts from the government )

Ever noticed what happened to Blockbuster?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
Name any company or entity, public or private, that has that kind of burden? Cite specific examples.
I can name hundreds of public and private pensions that are failing, I don't know if you missed the memo but one of the major reasons so many state and local governments are in such financial turmoil is becsue of underfunded pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies