Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think we should just privatize the entire system, and enact laws so that ups and fedex can't charge excessive rates for mail delivery.

Now that I've cancelled my Netflix DVD delivery, the only things I get in the mail is junk mail, and the occasional wedding invitation.

We disbanded the pony express when its time had ended, so......

21st century, its email, text, video chat, etc.
Why is it that when most topics come up (health care, guns, abortion, whatever), so many people use the plight/status/situation of other people to argue their positions ("think of the children!"), but when the USPS comes up, it's "me! me! me!"

And the postal service is one of the FEW things that the federal government is SPECIFICALLY authorized to do! People justify so much waste in government, much of which is arguably unconstitutional, but when it comes to the post office, they demand that it break even or be profitable!

WTF?!

Quote:
We disbanded the pony express when its time had ended, so......
The Pony Express was operated by a PRIVATE COMPANY. Nobody "disbanded" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,355 times
Good for them. It's been well-documented that they're the only federal agency mandated by Congress to fully fund their health care fund-- something even most private businesses don't do. When they try to cut costs by closing rarely-used rural post offices, Congress interferes-- again. They're saddled with carrying mail to any address in the United States, no matter now remote or difficult to reach, for the cost of a stamp.

It's been clear that for years, USPS has been the target of ideologues who think that any public enterprise other than the military is evil. All I can say is, beware of what you privatize. Look to Halliburton/KBR and their ridiculous gouging of the American taxpayer in Iraq and Afghanistan, performing jobs that the military used to do itself. Do you really think that FedEx or UPS will take on USPS' tasks-- all of them, including rural free delivery-- for the price we now pay for USPS? I doubt it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Beginnning in August, no Saturday mail delivery. This is estimated to save $2 billion annually.
I assume this will happen with Obamacare also.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
My mother lives in a rural area where they have a small post office. There are literally 10 people who live inside that city, but the rural areas fought to keep its doors open a few years back. Congressmen swore they wouldn't close it. No one ever uses it, its ridiculous.
There are some rural mountain post offices like that in CO. I'm not talking about post offices in Leadville, Steamboat, etc, which I support. I'm talking about Ward, Jamestown, places like that near Boulder. At a minimum, they could consolidate some of those rural POs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I actually agree with those who suggest privatization. The USPS is an anomaly as it has not been fully privatized, but many European countries have privatized their postal services. Probably the only thing that Europeans have privatized and Americans have not. When you look at other western countries, the USPS is an anachronism
So the "Europeans' " way is the gold standard when you agree with it, otherwise not? Europe is very densely populated. There's no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you think Congress should give/sell the offices to private companies, and then force them to operate them in rural areas where they are quaranteed to not make a profit? Does that make sense?

Delivering mail was never profitable, yet it was important enough for the founders to make sure it is delivered.
^^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The USPS needs to be allowed to streamiline their operations. For starters get rid of the rural PO's and limit service to those areas as any for profit company would.

While doing that becsue of the cuts to service the monopoly on first class mail needs to be lifted.
Even though you say you live in a rural area, I don't think you have a lot of experience with rural areas in the western/mountain states. They're not 5 miles from "town", they can be 50-60 or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This is pretty awful, since the U.S. Postal Service is the only reliable service I've found. Fedex and UPS suck so bad I can't even talk about it without getting p-o'd.
I agree!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Good for them. It's been well-documented that they're the only federal agency mandated by Congress to fully fund their health care fund-- something even most private businesses don't do. When they try to cut costs by closing rarely-used rural post offices, Congress interferes-- again. They're saddled with carrying mail to any address in the United States, no matter now remote or difficult to reach, for the cost of a stamp.

It's been clear that for years, USPS has been the target of ideologues who think that any public enterprise other than the military is evil. All I can say is, beware of what you privatize. Look to Halliburton/KBR and their ridiculous gouging of the American taxpayer in Iraq and Afghanistan, performing jobs that the military used to do itself. Do you really think that FedEx or UPS will take on USPS' tasks-- all of them, including rural free delivery-- for the price we now pay for USPS? I doubt it.
If something is free, someone is paying for it. Not to mention all the middlemen and what not.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I assume this will happen with Obamacare also.
Yeah baby! Let's extrapolate that to everything, why don't we? Let's just say that if A is happening, then B through Z are bound to happen, no question.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Time to ELIMINATE home delivery and require people go to the post office to pick up their mail. How much would THAT save in salaries for mail carriers and fleet vehicles?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Time to ELIMINATE home delivery and require people go to the post office to pick up their mail. How much would THAT save in salaries for mail carriers and fleet vehicles?
Lots, but it might add considerably to the air pollution problem!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Am I the only one who thinks junk mail is useful?
There was an article I read once about guy that made it a point to get on junk mailing lists for anything he could find. He burn it for heat. LOL

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,486 times
the real question is: will Val-pak go out of business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies