Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times

Advertisements

Coulter: Liberals can't break 200-year racism habit - Conservative News

Democrats spent the first century of this country’s existence refusing to treat black people like human beings, and the second refusing to treat them like adults.

After fighting the Civil War to continue enslaving black people and then subjecting newly freed black Americans to vicious, humiliating Jim Crow laws and Ku Klux Klan violence, Democrats set about frantically rewriting their own ugly history.

Step 1: Switch “Democrat” to “Southerner”;

Step 2: Switch “Southerner” to “conservative Democrat”;

Step 3: Switch “conservative Democrat” to “conservative.”

Contrary to liberal folklore, the Democratic segregationists were not all Southern — and they were certainly not conservative. They were dyed-in-the-wool liberal Democrats on all the litmus-test issues of their day.

All but one remained liberal Democrats until the day they died. That’s the only one you’ve ever heard of: Strom Thurmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
What good would that have done?

Strom paid for her college education at a state black school, about $400 a year. He made about $18,000 as governor then. So he shelled out 2% of his salary for her? He was unmarried, to, so what did he have to pay for?
Seriously? Um it was HUSH money....or do you not think that the revelation of a black daughter would harm his standing with his racist base?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what? I'd love to dig up his dead body and beat it with a shovel.

I mean, this dirtbag has a black daughter, and he's in the governors office doing everything he can to disenfranchise black people. He gave comfort to all the violent racists in S.C. that terrorized black people during the early civil rights struggles in his state.

So pardon me for not giving a damn about his financial support. That was his DUTY ...he doesn't get brownie points for that.
Exactly. He spent a good chunk of his life trying to keep people down who looked like his own daughter.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Quote:
Oh really? Like my father who sent 7 of his kids, including myself, to college? No grants, no loans...i left ASU debt free.

Or myself. I just finished sending my son to college and grad school. He finishes with no debts, just like I did.

But you know...I learned that from good ol' Strom.
Obviously I'm not talking about you and other black families who embrace middle-class values. I'm referring to the majority of baby daddies who impregnate half a dozen girls/women and then never bother to be a proper parent to any of them, always a transient, mysterious figure in their kids' lives. Those kids grow up fatherless and/or without a father figure, join a gang, and repeat the vicious cycle.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Gawd...he's such a nauseating and disgusting figure in our history.
I just remember those pictures of him when he was already like 95 and still "serving" in Congress...sitting there with his head back napping, mouth hanging open, thin skin with age spots clinging to his skull, and looking as if he was already dead and somebody forgot to tell him.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Like many ideals of the deep south, Strom was the poster boy of hippocrisy.
But could he spell?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Obviously I'm not talking about you and other black families who embrace middle-class values. I'm referring to the majority of baby daddies who impregnate half a dozen girls/women and then never bother to be a proper parent to any of them, always a transient, mysterious figure in their kids' lives. Those kids grow up fatherless and/or without a father figure, join a gang, and repeat the vicious cycle.
Didn't she also grow up without her father? Mind you, a father who would not even acknowledge her, and loathed everything she represented. No amount of hush money can rectify that. I had a loving father, and nothing could have substituted for my father's love. Strom Thurmond was unadulterated scum. The world is a far better place without him.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Coulter: Liberals can't break 200-year racism habit - Conservative News

Democrats spent the first century of this country’s existence refusing to treat black people like human beings, and the second refusing to treat them like adults.

After fighting the Civil War to continue enslaving black people and then subjecting newly freed black Americans to vicious, humiliating Jim Crow laws and Ku Klux Klan violence, Democrats set about frantically rewriting their own ugly history.

Step 1: Switch “Democrat” to “Southerner”;

Step 2: Switch “Southerner” to “conservative Democrat”;

Step 3: Switch “conservative Democrat” to “conservative.”

Contrary to liberal folklore, the Democratic segregationists were not all Southern — and they were certainly not conservative. They were dyed-in-the-wool liberal Democrats on all the litmus-test issues of their day.

All but one remained liberal Democrats until the day they died. That’s the only one you’ve ever heard of: Strom Thurmond.
Nope - they were DINO's and formed the "conservative coalition" which caused a ton of obstruction for the Democrat Party. This is just like how there are more registered Democrats than Republicans in Kentucky yet they all vote Republican.

In 1964 Goldwater made opposition of the Civil Rights as the GOP party platform. High profile defections from the Ds to Rs included Thurmond and Helms.

Explain the Republican "Southern Strategy" which bloomed since the Civil Rights right into the Reagan era of the 80s. Please proceed, Tea Partier.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Transient, mysterious figure?

You're making no goddamn sense. This woman didn't know that Thurmond was her father until she was a goddamn adult. Why then are you saying that there is something to learn from him?

Stop bumping your gums until you know what the hell you're talking about.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think you're looking at it in context of today's level of maturity in these age groups. Back in the 1920's is wasn't unusual at all for someone to be 15 and be considered an adult. A lot of young men and women worked full time in those days at that age, especially in the deep south, which is where Essie's mother and Strom first met.

For the mentality that some people had back then; those two were just considered "adults" to some extent.

EDIT: BTW, according to Wikipedia, she was 16 and he was 22, not 15 and 23.
I'm so sorry. That really makes a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies