U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM

10,115 posts, read 6,964,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Technically she was his biracial daughter...

I think Essie May talked about the relationship between Strom and her mother in a few interviews. I don't think her mother ever really said anything bad about Strom, or the attraction that allowed them to be sexually involved with one another. Atleast for those times, I think it was a mutually beneficial relationship.
You think a 22 year old having sex with a 15 year old girl--a child--who's a servant in his house is "mutually beneficial?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM

9,897 posts, read 6,818,257 times
Quote:
Technically she was his biracial daughter...

I think Essie May talked about the relationship between Strom and her mother in a few interviews. I don't think her mother ever really said anything bad about Strom, or the attraction that allowed them to be sexually involved with one another. Atleast for those times, I think it was a mutually beneficial relationship.
How much did Essie know about their relationship anyways, if she didn't even know who her mother
was for years? Seems to be, a Strom Thurmond at age 20, getting a 16 year old black teenage maid
of the house pregnant was anything but a mutually beneficial relationship.
More like getting what a man wants, regardless of immediate consequence.

IMO Thurmond was the epitome of all that was wrong in America for so long...a professional bigot.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM

49,734 posts, read 26,382,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm so sorry. That really makes a huge difference.
LOL...yea, really.

Never thought i'd see the day when people sit around trying to defend Strom Thurmond. SMH

Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 AM

5,491 posts, read 5,683,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You think a 22 year old having sex with a 15 year old girl--a child--who's a servant in his house is "mutually beneficial?"
Circa 1920? Yup. It could have very had been a sexually satisfying relationship for both partners.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
How much did Essie know about their relationship anyways, if she didn't even know who her mother
was for years? Seems to be, a Strom Thurmond at age 20, getting a 16 year old black teenage maid
of the house pregnant was anything but a mutually beneficial relationship.
More like getting what a man wants, regardless of immediate consequence.

IMO Thurmond was the epitome of all that was wrong in America for so long...a professional bigot.
Nah...my point is that her mother was no victim, which some insist on making a claim of. If all we have are Essie May's words, then that holds more credibility than someone elses presumptions more than 50 years after the fact.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,815,875 times
Quote:
Circa 1920? Yup. It could have very had been a sexually satisfying relationship for both partners.
Are you kidding me?

What should have happened is that the rapist should have been imprisoned.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Are you kidding me?

What should have happened is that the rapist should have been imprisoned.
Nope. There's no evidence of any such occurance, no matter how much of a victim you would like her and yourself to be.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM

116 posts, read 81,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You have to remember, you are conversing with a sick group of people....and I use the word people loosely.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,818,257 times
Quote:
Nah...my point is that her mother was no victim, which some insist on making a claim of. If all we have are Essie May's words, then that holds more credibility than someone elses presumptions more than 50 years after the fact.
How could a severely impoverish black child in SC in the '20s have a balance relationship with someone who had power over them. There really was no free will there.
I think Strom's actions are statuatory rape by any standard.
The negative consequence of Carrie Butler saying no, in that house, at that time, in America's
history was overwhelmingly catastrophic.
And, Thurmond rallied against race mixing of any kind at the time.

Strom took advantage of an enslaved poor black girl, as so many
white men did in the south at the time. It makes him ordinary for the times.

His offenses though, are extraordinarily egregious - because he financially benefited as a public official.
He was a bigoted pig.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
How could a severely impoverish black child in SC in the '20s have a balance relationship with someone who had power over them. There really was no free will there.
I think Strom's actions are statuatory rape by any standard.
The negative consequence of Carrie Butler saying no, in that house, at that time, in America's
history was overwhelmingly catastrophic.
And, Thurmond rallied against race mixing of any kind at the time.

Strom took advantage of an enslaved poor black girl, as so many
white men did in the south at the time. It makes him ordinary for the times.

His offenses though, are extraordinarily egregious - because he financially benefited as a public official.
He was a bigoted pig.

Stick to the facts.

If her mother felt that she was taken advantage of, or abused in some sort of way--she would have said something indirectly if not directly about it. However, she simply didn't. Accept it as reality.

All of this " sexual and racial dynamics of the post recunstruction era" talk is just talk to circumvent their situation. We're talking about the mother of Essie May and Strom Thurmond. Nothing more nothing less.

The only way I see her as a victim in this circumstance, is if there were statutory rape laws and/or laws of consent on the books that he clearly would have violated. Outside, of that, like it or not, it appears to be a mutually benelficial relationship considering that in those years is wans't unsual for 16 year olds to be considered adults to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies