Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Atlas, Shrugged is a great piece of literature. Most, if not all intellectuals in America have already read it, or arre at least familiar with it.

The issue here is getting classics and a solid educational foundation back in school. My fellow democrats hate when I say this, and here in Florida, it was a former republican governor, Jethro Bush who created most of the public school mess we have now.

In our society, thanks to the internet, we are seeing colonies of twitter experts and internet educated degree holders whose education is based not on a foundation of knowledge, learning and understanding, but rather an expertise in who is wearing what and which celebrity can fart the loudest.

Going back to a foundation of classics, whether kids like it or not, is neccesary. If a person c wishes to remain uneducated, then so be it. But as tax payers we have the right and as paretns we have the duty to instill learning in our children. Adding Atlas, Shrugged to the mix and removing some of the late 20th century garbage would be a good start.
Whence the extra comma in the title? It's not only wrong, it's nonsensical.

Anyway, as others have pointed out: Using government coercion to force people to read a novel that praises Objectivism is the philosophical equivalent of dividing by zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I read Anna Karenina and War & Peace in 8th grade.
Congratulations.

Quote:
James Fenimore Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans" is one of the best stories I ever read...
The Deerslayer qualifies as one of the worst I ever read.

Quote:
Only the underachievers, dyslexic and those unable to read hated reading the books assigned.

Oh... And the jocks but they were usually two of the above groups.
Well, back in my day it was the dweebs and apple-polishers who acted as though they enjoyed reading that stuff.

Last edited by Old Gringo; 02-07-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Congratulations.

James Fenimore Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans" is one of the best stories I ever read...

The Deerslayer qualifies as one of the worst I ever read.

Well, back in my day it was the dweebs and apple-polishers who acted as though they enjoyed reading that stuff.
I was a nerd in high school. Oops.

I didn't like Deerslayer though.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
And what expertise and knowledge do you have to declare the above mentioned as "junk" and "Lousy literature"?
Because I had to read:

Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities

Cooper: The Deerslayer

Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter

Verbose, dull, and outdated. Same as Atlas Shrugged; another yawner.

Quote:
Last I checked, these are "Classics" for a reason. Perhaps you just do not understand that ?
I understand that Model Ts are considered classics. I prefer a 2 seat T-Bird, also a classic.

I understand that the dross turned out by the likes of Dickens and Rand pales in comparison to Kerouac and Hemmingway. But feel free to keep enjoying it. Different strokes and all that.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I was a nerd in high school. Oops.
I thought I was a jock, but I was really more of a dork.

Quote:
I didn't like Deerslayer though.
We certainly agree on that point.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I thought I was a jock, but I was really more of a dork.

We certainly agree on that point.
Someone mentioned Battlefield Earth.

That was an awesome book. The only people I've known that hated it were people that watched the dumb movie and didn't actually read the book.

It's like Starship Troopers. Awesome book but the movie blew...

Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Someone mentioned Battlefield Earth.

That was an awesome book. The only people I've known that hated it were people that watched the dumb movie and didn't actually read the book.

It's like Starship Troopers. Awesome book but the movie blew...

Haven't read either of those. But I've often heard that Heinlein is good. I've always liked Arthur C Clarke for sci-fi.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas van Rijn View Post
Why would the Idaho Senate what to require "Atlas Shrugged" to be read in school?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Atlas Shrugged has no more place in a high school reading list than a Harlequin Romance would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies