U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,147,169 times
Reputation: 4269

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Ya think?

I just did a Google search "fox news ratings" and nearly every link points to fox ratings plummeting. So, I would imagine that plummeting really means out front? LOL.

Google
Did you notice that most of your sources were blogs like Media Matters, Think Prog and the like? Some of them weren't blogs but those said that it is the prime time shows that are slipping. When people talk about the news from Fox News they have O'Reilly and Hannity in mind and those two are on only 2 hours each evening and not on at all the rest of the day. Of course, people who don't want to hear news during the daytime don't watch Fox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
 
12,625 posts, read 18,132,156 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
A poll released Wednesday by Public Policy Polling shows that fewer people than ever trust Fox News as a source for accurate news and reporting. Just 41 percent expressed trust in the network — down from 49 four years ago — while 46 percent said they distrust Fox. There’s an obvious reason why: Fox misrepresents facts and fudges its data to advance the conservative agenda. Indeed, it’s nothing like the “fair and balanced” network it claims to be. And, it seems, voters are catching on.



1. They misrepresented the unemployment rate. Fox News ran this chart showing the unemployment rate, but managed to somehow make an unemployment rate of 8.6 percent look higher than 8.9:

2. They misinformed viewers about Benghazi. When Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsay Graham (R-SC), and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) were trying their hardest to smear President Obama and former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton over Benghazi, Fox ran an “exclusive” report saying that the CIA had denied a diplomat permission to fend off an attack on the embassy. That never happened, and details later confirmed that the report — and the other conspiracy theories Fox ran alongside it — was totally unfounded.

3. They blamed non-existent ‘massive layoffs’ on Obama. Fox News runs frequent segments covering Obama’s supposed ‘War on Coal’ and the website Fox Nation even ran this glaring headline blaming the election for huge layoffs in the coal industry. But there were not massive layoffs. Just one business owner in Utah laid off employees. Under Obama, the industry on the whole has actually continued to grow tremendously.


4. They got almost all of their climate coverage wrong. An analysis by the Union of Concerned Scientists revealed that a full 93 percent of Fox News coverage on the topic global climate change was ‘misleading.’ Here’s the breakdown of how Fox covered the climate issue:

5. They don’t cover big stories. While the rest of the country discussed senatorial candidate Todd Akin’s ‘legitimate rape’ comments, Fox News hardly covered the controversy. They similarly ignored the conflict surrounding the death of teenager Trayvon Martin, and of New York’s same-sex marriage law’s passage.

The list of areas where Fox falls down on the job is too extensive to enumerate. But what is clear is that Fox’s method of dodging the truth and giving convenient facts won’t keep working, if they can’t gain the public’s trust.

Five Reasons Why Fewer People Trust Fox News Than Ever Before | ThinkProgress

For me I always liked bill oreily and found him funny. His debates with Marc Lamont hill were classic
yes they polled 20 extreme liberals to get their faux poll results! Bwahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,215 posts, read 7,884,612 times
Reputation: 7740
I think the Romney/Ryan campaign last year proved that most Republicans are totally cool with lying and find it preferable to the truth, as long as it confirms their pre-existing worldviews. Hence, they keep tuning in to Faux News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Texas
35,081 posts, read 19,184,144 times
Reputation: 20678
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Since you are not a viewer of Fox News I would have to ask if you get more of yours from Think Progress or Media Matters. Which one is it?
I watch a little Fox almost every day. Lil' Gretch is eye candy. The other two guys are clods.

Fox and Friends in the am before work and Shep Smith in the afternoon when I get home.

But since you're so poor at guessing, that would partially explain your right wing leanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,969,746 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you notice that most of your sources were blogs like Media Matters, Think Prog and the like? Some of them weren't blogs but those said that it is the prime time shows that are slipping. When people talk about the news from Fox News they have O'Reilly and Hannity in mind and those two are on only 2 hours each evening and not on at all the rest of the day. Of course, people who don't want to hear news during the daytime don't watch Fox.
I don't watch anything except local news roy, I read national and international news on the internet from many different sources. I would think that if a person watches certain programs with biased opinions for a long time, well, they begin to believe these biased opinions.

It's ok for you to think fox is on top, just keep watching intently as you can, I'm sure they'll come up with something really good, in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,849,971 times
Reputation: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yep, thats why they are still listed as #1 according to ratings. it just makes liberals mad that their own pet networks cannot make things work right.
Fox News Tops 2012 Cable News Network Ratings -- MSNBC Gains Big
Get your cable provider to stop charging extra for Fox alternatives and watch the balance of popularity change.
The basic Fox message of "republicans good, democrats bad" doesn't resonate with at least half of Americans who often prefer democrats. Of course fear sells, but this is not the overriding "popular demand" as Fox claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No one on Fox News believes Christwire.org is to be taken seriously.
http://christwire.org/2011/02/what-t...twire-scandal/
Maddow gets away with saying ignorant things because her audience is also ignorant.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...llionaire.html
If you want to prove someone else's ignorance, you cannot use innuendo to do it because you are then exposing your own.
This short video says all we need to know about Fox and its contribution to the industry.
John Fugelsang to Congressman Keith Ellison: How dare you call Sean Hannity a journalist - Viewpoint // Current TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You people still don't get it, do you?
The VAST MAJORITY of Americans do not get their news from CABLE NEWS. The Network news stations trounce all cable news combined.

And even in the paradigm of cable news, where there's ONE "conservative propaganda" news station to choose from, and four other "liberal" stations to choose from, why does it take such a straining of intellect to understand why the one station with a particular point of view does better than the stations whose audiences are more spread out over multiple sources.
Agreed - news sources (newspapers) have always been this way. There is one slightly different problem today, the ability of cable service providers to influence access to programming via pricing schemes, and occasional attempts to control content. For newspapers, no such third-party overriding entity to deal with.
The network news sources are severely lacking and have been for decades, ever since they turned their news departments over to their entertainment departments. Entertainment sells much better, and sponsors must be pleased. $$$$$$$$$$$$
The firing of Phil Donahue at the height of popularity by MSNBC for speaking out against the Iraq war, had to be fear of sponsors and viewers who supported the war. Other lesser-known names got the axe during those times.
Some Critical Media Voices Face Censorship

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-28-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
 
16,268 posts, read 9,082,410 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
A poll released Wednesday by Public Policy Polling shows that fewer people than ever trust Fox News as a source for accurate news and reporting. Just 41 percent expressed trust in the network — down from 49 four years ago — while 46 percent said they distrust Fox. There’s an obvious reason why: Fox misrepresents facts and fudges its data to advance the conservative agenda. Indeed, it’s nothing like the “fair and balanced” network it claims to be. And, it seems, voters are catching on.



1. They misrepresented the unemployment rate. Fox News ran this chart showing the unemployment rate, but managed to somehow make an unemployment rate of 8.6 percent look higher than 8.9:

2. They misinformed viewers about Benghazi. When Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsay Graham (R-SC), and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) were trying their hardest to smear President Obama and former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton over Benghazi, Fox ran an “exclusive” report saying that the CIA had denied a diplomat permission to fend off an attack on the embassy. That never happened, and details later confirmed that the report — and the other conspiracy theories Fox ran alongside it — was totally unfounded.

3. They blamed non-existent ‘massive layoffs’ on Obama. Fox News runs frequent segments covering Obama’s supposed ‘War on Coal’ and the website Fox Nation even ran this glaring headline blaming the election for huge layoffs in the coal industry. But there were not massive layoffs. Just one business owner in Utah laid off employees. Under Obama, the industry on the whole has actually continued to grow tremendously.


4. They got almost all of their climate coverage wrong. An analysis by the Union of Concerned Scientists revealed that a full 93 percent of Fox News coverage on the topic global climate change was ‘misleading.’ Here’s the breakdown of how Fox covered the climate issue:

5. They don’t cover big stories. While the rest of the country discussed senatorial candidate Todd Akin’s ‘legitimate rape’ comments, Fox News hardly covered the controversy. They similarly ignored the conflict surrounding the death of teenager Trayvon Martin, and of New York’s same-sex marriage law’s passage.

The list of areas where Fox falls down on the job is too extensive to enumerate. But what is clear is that Fox’s method of dodging the truth and giving convenient facts won’t keep working, if they can’t gain the public’s trust.

Five Reasons Why Fewer People Trust Fox News Than Ever Before | ThinkProgress

For me I always liked bill oreily and found him funny. His debates with Marc Lamont hill were classic

This is exactly why Foxnews was the news outlet with the highest ratings during the week of the Boston Bombing...wait? what???



serously posting a PPP poll via Think Progress is akin to posting links to stories from the North Korean News agency.

they have the same chance of being true.

here let me help you

News From KOREAN CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY of DPRK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM
 
Location: On Top
12,388 posts, read 11,612,488 times
Reputation: 4027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
This is exactly why Foxnews was the news outlet with the highest ratings during the week of the Boston Bombing...wait? what???



serously posting a PPP poll via Think Progress is akin to posting links to stories from the North Korean News agency.

they have the same chance of being true.

here let me help you

News From KOREAN CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY of DPRK
FOX lies, that's all we need to know....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 AM
 
5,244 posts, read 2,666,276 times
Reputation: 3476
The problem with your reasons is that the people that you want to convince of this don't listen to reason. Now if you say something like fox news is owned by a foreigner bent on America's destruction...well, I guess that is still too much reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM
 
16,268 posts, read 9,082,410 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
FOX lies, that's all we need to know....
fox lies because meson says so?


serously you think I am going to believe you? I dont know what is more funny, the stuff you come up with or the fact you assume you are taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top