U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,649,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
For those who support the judges actions, let me ask you this:

Who is the victim of her alleged crime? Who can show demonstrable damages by her possession of Xanax bars?
The issue isn't her alleged crime PRIOR to getting into the courtroom. The judge was doing what he was supposed to do: CONTROL the actions within the courtroom, DURING the court process. They are two different distinct issues.

You can argue the law was broken by this young woman's actions. That is what the court process is for. You CANNOT argue, being rude, disruptive, a blatant jerk in the courtroom is proper. Her behavior in that courtroom caused delays and other issues which it should not have. Had she obeyed the rules of the court, it would be a non issue and she may have found many persons on her jury, which would agree with you, and the case dismissed.

However, her actions within that courtroom forced the judge to act. And, in my opinion, quite rightly too. You cannot just allow people to run amock in a court room. Its dangerous and sets a nasty precedent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,397,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why should he have done that?

Are you on drugs?
Yes, but MY drugs are legal.

Next question?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,097,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well I hope this young woman learned her lesson.
I seriously doubt it. She had to have learned that kind of lesson before the age of two or it's too late. Spare the rod and this is what you get.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If someone is entitled to shoot and kill someone breaking into their house then they're more than entitled to shoot and kill someone robbing them of their freedom.
You are inaccurate. If someone robbed this young woman of her freedom, it was her, and her actions. Whether the judge deserves respect or not, there is a certain decorum that is to be maintained in a courtroom, and in addressing the judge. If not the person, the title itself.

If you decide to step outside the bounds of propriety, and fracture that decorum, then there are consequences to be had.

In this case, the consequences are 30 days in jail. So if there is someone to be shot for robbing this person of their freedom, may I suggest she practice the art of self immolation. She went out of her way to receive that sentence, she has no one to blame but herself. MAYBE, she can gigle and twirl her hair some more while doing it.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
For those who support the judges actions, let me ask you this:

Who is the victim of her alleged crime? Who can show demonstrable damages by her possession of Xanax bars?
The Judge's actions are supported by tradition. Ever since the dawn of time, when you face someone acting in the position of Judge, there has always been a certain decorum demanded.

It doesn't matter the charge or crime, in most cases, the Judge had no personal involvement in the declaration of that particular action being a crime, their job is to enforce the laws as they exist. If you don't like the law, work towards changing it, BUT, don't blame the man charges with enforcing those laws. If he doesn't perform the job as expected, he can be replaced with someone else who will.

As for the decision, he at first, passed judgment requiring a 5K bond, as was traditional in this case. the woman, stepping outside the bounds of propriety became flippant, which is not to be seen as a disrespectful JUST to the Judge, but to the position of Judge itself.

Initially the reaction was an increase to 10K bond, really a trivial matter for a person wearing such epensive jewelry, but she then took the following step of becoming blatantly disrespectful, of both the person, and the position. Once she violated accepted decorum, the Judge gave her 30 days.

But for her own actions...

Let me ask you this. While growing up, were you disrespectful to your dad, (Assuming you grew up in a household with a dad)? If not, why not? In my case, I didn't because by father would whack me hard enough to spin my head right off my shoulders. There was a consequence to the action of being disrespectful. In this case, the consequences was 30 days in jail. MAYBE she will consider her actions in the future, and act accordingly.

Last edited by Darkatt; 02-07-2013 at 04:35 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
More importantly she will only be exposed to more mess in county. He's not only robbing her of 30 days she will never get back, but also making it more difficult for her to find a job and start a family. He's ruining the rest of her life. All over some words she spoke to him.
He didn't do ANY of those things, SHE did. But for her own actions, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Why is "responsibility for one's actions", so difficult to comprehend?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,873,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if she would have learned her lesson, she would have learned it after she got her bail raised from $5000 to $10,000 in 10 seconds flat.
Paying more money is not the same as sitting behind bars and losing your freedom as well privacy.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 AM

9,897 posts, read 6,835,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That IS the attitude of many people today. They don't give a damn about anything and see themselves as victims of everything.
And, the judge apparently doesn't give a damn about the cost of things.
What's the cost of having someone in county jail for 30 days...
Why not a hefty fine.

I'll give the judge the finger for screwing up on this one....

Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,933,755 times
Quote:
She shouldn't be in front of the judge in the first place. If she wants to ruin her body with Xanax (I think this is what she was on), the government shouldn't participate in the madness by robbing her of her freedom.

For the judge then to raise the bail but lock her up for 30 days, for 'flicking' him off shows what a power hungry idiot he is. These kind of judges should be in jail.
Regardless, she appeared in front of the judge for a violation of the law as it stands, she disrespected authority and got her just due. Seems to be an epedemic of this crap by some of todays youth.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,933,755 times
Quote:
Respect is earned, not given. Without delving into the personal history of that particular judge, he could be a major ahole and have the majority of his decisions overturned by an appellate court. Why would someone like that be deserving of respect?

Spare me the whole "you dont have to respect the individual, just their position" garbage too.
I don't know about you, but I try to show respect and politeness to everyone I meet, I guess it was how I was raised. And how were you raised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies