Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, I was in no way making excuses for the young lady. She got exactly what she deserved regardless of here state of mind or lack thereof. My point was that her behavior isn't a basis for making judgements about current societal behaviors.
I disagree, disrespect for authority seems to be running rampant today among certain segments of society, where kids are raised with out two parents and no disipline at home. They think it is ok to shoot at police or spit on people. I see it more today than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
For those who support the judges actions, let me ask you this:

Who is the victim of her alleged crime? Who can show demonstrable damages by her possession of Xanax bars?
The discussion is not about the war on drugs, it is about her disrespect for the judge. I agree we need to re-think the war on drugs, but until then, it is what it is, she violated the law and the judge found her in contempt, he does have that authority.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He asked her if she had drugs in the last 24 hours. She said, "actually, no"

So she could be charged with more than contempt of court if she lied to the judge, correct?

Maybe she should rethink her strategy. She has 30 days to gain a new perspective.
She should have kept her mouth shut, look where it got her. She may have received no jail time, but since she decided to voice her opinion of the judge, she paid the price. Learn consequence!

Last edited by Ghostrider275452; 02-07-2013 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And, the judge apparently doesn't give a damn about the cost of things.
What's the cost of having someone in county jail for 30 days...
Why not a hefty fine.

I'll give the judge the finger for screwing up on this one....
1) A fine means jack diddly to some people. Everyone hates jail. Even frequent fliers...

2) Justice doesn't run on a cost/benefit analysis.

3) Judge didn't screw anything up. Contempt of court traditionally results in jail time.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's sad that you defend the system that can imprison you at anytime. It's sad you defend a system that illegaly kidnapped a young girl and ruined her life for saying the f word.
If anyone ruined her life, she did, by not realizing the consequences of her actions. She and she alone is responsible for her actions!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Laws as written are inconsequential. Either they're morally right or they're not. If they're not morally right,
Quote:
it's your duty to disobey them.
The government can pass a law making it illegal for you to breath. Illegality =/= morality.
And you will have a revolving door at the county jail, with a cell reserved just for you.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Shows how deranged and hopeless some people are these days.

Giggling teen flips judge the bird, judge not amused | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
She'll still be able to find drugs and alcohol in jail.

Deranged?
She's an addict, most likely.
It's a disease.

Hopeless, maybe; maybe not.
You don't know.
Stupid, certainly. But does she think that her actions have consequences; probably not.
If she's lucky, she'll learn.

Not many people with drug/alcohol problems manage to get clean/sober and stay that way.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The Judge's actions are supported by tradition. Ever since the dawn of time, when you face someone acting in the position of Judge, there has always been a certain decorum demanded.

It doesn't matter the charge or crime, in most cases, the Judge had no personal involvement in the declaration of that particular action being a crime, their job is to enforce the laws as they exist. If you don't like the law, work towards changing it, BUT, don't blame the man charges with enforcing those laws. If he doesn't perform the job as expected, he can be replaced with someone else who will.

As for the decision, he at first, passed judgment requiring a 5K bond, as was traditional in this case. the woman, stepping outside the bounds of propriety became flippant, which is not to be seen as a disrespectful JUST to the Judge, but to the position of Judge itself.

Initially the reaction was an increase to 10K bond, really a trivial matter for a person wearing such epensive jewelry, but she then took the following step of becoming blatantly disrespectful, of both the person, and the position. Once she violated accepted decorum, the Judge gave her 30 days.

But for her own actions...

Let me ask you this. While growing up, were you disrespectful to your dad, (Assuming you grew up in a household with a dad)? If not, why not? In my case, I didn't because by father would whack me hard enough to spin my head right off my shoulders. There was a consequence to the action of being disrespectful. In this case, the consequences was 30 days in jail. MAYBE she will consider her actions in the future, and act accordingly.
Maybe she needed a place to stay, 3 hots and a cot ain't bad when you have no where to go!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Undoubtedly the defendant is a retard, but judges tend to have a holier than thou attitude as well.
Judges can be a prickly lot, so it is best to go in there on your best behavior. I think the judge saw that this girl needed a major time out (from her drug abuse). From what saw, I concur.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Let's break it down. Mind you, I have my own opinion on the subject. However, one should note that acting a fool before a judge as though any reasonable and or prudent person would consider foolish public behavior can have the judge act swiftly. Barney Style- Act appropriately before authorities.

Now she was clearly in contempt of court. There are two forms of contempt and one is in the form of the judge's discretion. One type is the violation of a court order such as not appearing after being served "papers" requesting that you appear in court. That is treated as any other crime. Then you have the other form of contempt which is called a Summary Offense. An example of a summary offense is public nudity, driving reckless (less than a misdemeanor). In most states, the judge has sole discretion as to what the court of law would deem a summary offense. He can act swiftly especially being that in his presence and lock you up right there.

However, there is a big but! You will have the opportunity to return before the judge and "purge" yourself of contempt. So don't be thinking she will actually do the full 30 days. Now, you will be given an opportunity to return to the courtroom and purge yourself of the contempt. If you choose not purge and have been found in contempt more than a few times, then you will face jail time. The grace of law can only extend so far. But the law is on your side and you are not thrown in some rat hole without an opportunity to purge.

So, clearly the judge acted quickly and justly under his discretion based on emotion. If this is an ongoing tactic then he should not abuse his power due to the nature of the incident. In this case no one was in danger or did it violate anyone's personal privacy with malicious intent- however, based on the judge's experience, he could have reasonably perceived her as a flight risk especially due to her behavior, drug usage, and inibility to focus. If it was an isolated incident and he was making an example, then well done- . But still, she will have the opportunity to purge and Im sure she either knew that from past appearings as a juvenile or next time, she will have her jumpers starched, pressed and hair up in a bun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies