U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,562,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Calling Obama the food stamp president has nothing to do with race. He's the food stamp president because the number people receiving food stamps has risen dramatically during his tenure. That you assume associating someone with food stamps must be racist is racist in itself. Think about it.
Yes, I can where Newt was simply trying to score political points; but more recipients were added under Bush than Obama, yet he said nothing about the Bush tenure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM

6,911 posts, read 4,913,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
your OP is a lie. NONE of us who are for responsible government are against helping the truely needy.

What we are against is government creating clients out of those who are NOT truely needy.

YOU need to stop being silly and putting up strawman arguments that have no basis in reality.
How do you prevent the abuse without more oversight? The problem is not the program, it's not the government, it's the people who abuse it. The only ways I know of to cut the abuse are to increase oversight, or to decrease benefits (including to the needy).

Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM

419 posts, read 562,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
How do you prevent the abuse without more oversight? The problem is not the program, it's not the government, it's the people who abuse it. The only ways I know of to cut the abuse are to increase oversight, or to decrease benefits (including to the needy).
agree with you completely on this. When I was in my early 20's, with a 1 yr old son and divorced with no training for a job, I went on Welfare. I lived in CA at the time. It was definitely a life saver. However, I got training with the state and got off of it after 1 year. At that time it was called AFDC - Aid to Famililies with Dependent Children. Not sure if it works the same in this day and age. It seems anyone can get food stamps.

On the disability end of it - really there are truly disabled people and some that are not. I have a friend whose husband has not worked since he was early 40's. Left his police job and eventually got social security disability also. During that time he worked under the table laying floors - he actually got out of his police work due to a bad back. I have my doubt about his back troubles since he seems to do more than most - including laying his own garden path in his back yard. These are the ones that irk me. Oh on top of that they never file federal income tax returns even though they make over the amount of money needed to file taxes. They are scammers. Oh and get this. He has been diagnosed with stage 4 prostrate cancer and his wife says to me is there some place I can get insurance on him. They hate paying for insurance but now that he has a life threatening issue she wants to buy it. Unbelieveable!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,595,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
your OP is a lie. NONE of us who are for responsible government are against helping the truely needy.

What we are against is government creating clients out of those who are NOT truely needy.

YOU need to stop being silly and putting up strawman arguments that have no basis in reality.
Gee, I wish I had the time to go searching for the dozens of posts I've seen from regular C-D posters who DO advocate survival of the fittest. Without even blinking an eye.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM

6,156 posts, read 4,136,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
So many people are against welfare and disability pensions for the truly needy and disabled.
One sentence in and you've already discredited your own thread. Good job.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM

23,970 posts, read 32,674,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My favorite was this patient I had in residency (she was one of many but it sums it up so beautifully).
She came in for a fall.
My attending saw she was on Medicare and 46 years old.
He went and asked her why she was on Medicare.
She said, "I'm disabled."
"How did you fall?" he asked.
"Dancing at the club."
Wow.

I remember my mom was having trouble with SSDI. She's legally blind and paralyzed on one side after having a stroke 3 years ago.

THAT is disabled.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,541,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There are people with real disabilities, being deaf to me is a real disability. There should be a safety net for these individuals. What's going on now is that people with questionable non-physical disabilities are being award SSDI. This is clearly abuse of system because these disability rolls increased dramatically when cash transfer welfare was curtailed in the 90s and lately because of the economy.
I knew a woman who fall right into that category. 30 years old, completely able with no disabilities. She somehow conned a doctor to believe she became "ill" whenever she worked, siting stomach ailments due to "stress" of working a regular job. This from working at Walmart And she was granted the disability. Even worse, she moved out of state and still collected the checks. Seems she had no problems partying, though.

Another example. The brother of an ex boyfriend of mine claimed disability, stating he was "injured during duty in the service". When in actuality he was drinking and fell off truck bed, and permanently injured his pelvis.

Yes, there are two extreme cases of fraud, but it happens, way too often. I am on the other hand, very much in favor of disability for the truly needy.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

10,087 posts, read 6,227,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I'm not against welfare and disability for the truly needy. I'm against welfare and disability for the truly lazy.
Well said ! And I feel the same.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,944,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m 95% in agreement with you but I`d be surprised if anyone is having babies to get a bigger check. Raising children is a full time job and a difficult one at that.
Then, you would be surprised for sure because that is the way it is done. Raising children, for most, is a full-time job but, they also work 40 hours or more a week. Think quality time which I rarely see given by those that just "lay their eggs and swim away like turtles". Seriously, not sure where you live that you don't see women getting pregnant to increase their check (shared with a lazy boyfriend) or getting pregnant to get to move out to an apartment that I help pick up the tab for. A lot of the "disabled" I saw worked under the table and ended up with more than those doing an honest day's work. I have a son with DS who is an adult and even he works in a workshop rather than staying in bed until 10:00 AM or noon when the deadbeats go to McDonald's (especially those disabled by obesity)!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM

36,471 posts, read 15,965,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
So many people are against welfare and disability pensions for the truly needy and disabled. But if we have no safety net, and we force disabled people to work, how do we stop employers from doing this? Or is it.......survival of the fittest?

"So many people are against welfare and disability pensions for the truly needy and disabled.'

Not true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies