Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

What about the word "temporary" do you not understand? It was never meant to be permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, it was the GOP making that argument.
Last I heard, Obama's primary campaign said he didn't want to raise taxes on those making less than 250K and he only wanted to let the Bush tax cuts expire for a certain percentage (the 95%) of the population. All I heard was Obama saying he wants to make the wealthy pay "a little extra".

It's all a matter of spin. Obama couldn't or didn't want to say he wanted to let all Bush tax cuts expire.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
But overall, the payroll tax is regressive. It is capped at a higher income, which means that lower earning workers pay it on every dollar of income while higher earning workers pay it only up to a certain income and those that earn their income from investments do not pay it at all.
Oh, good grief. Not this again.

It's NOT regressive. Since the 1990's, higher income earners have been LOSING money on Social Security. They get LESS back in SS benefits than they paid into the system throughout their working years. That has now spread to the middle class. The middle class now also LOSES money on SS. They will also get LESS back in SS benefits than they pay into the system throughout their working years. The ONLY group that gets MORE in benefits than they've paid into the system are the low-income. That's PROgressive, not regressive.

Social Security a losing deal for all but the low-income - AP News

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Our dear Marxist leader watching out for the little guy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/bu....html?hp&_r=1&
Wow we agree. Why Obama and Congress thinks that millions of decision makers don't know how to mobilize the economy while they do is the epitome of central planning. I recall even in a high school business class that dollars were votes for the best product. i guess I was taught wrong.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, good grief. Not this again.

It's NOT regressive. Since the 1990's, higher income earners have been LOSING money on Social Security. They get LESS back in SS benefits than they paid into the system throughout their working years. That has now spread to the middle class. The middle class now also LOSES money on SS. They will also get LESS back in SS benefits than they pay into the system throughout their working years. The ONLY group that gets MORE in benefits than they've paid into the system are the low-income. That's PROgressive, not regressive.

Social Security a losing deal for all but the low-income - AP News
What you are discussing is benefits. The issue is taxation.

For 2013, you will pay Social Security taxes on income below $113,700. That means anyone earning less than that amount will have all of their income taxes at the SSA rate. If I am a CEO earning millions, I will pay SSA tax on the first $113,700 and nothing more. That's a prime example of regressive.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
What you are discussing is benefits. The issue is taxation.
Payroll tax... one's benefits ARE related to one's taxation. Look at the SS statement you receive periodically.
Quote:
For 2013, you will pay Social Security taxes on income below $113,700. That means anyone earning less than that amount will have all of their income taxes at the SSA rate. If I am a CEO earning millions, I will pay SSA tax on the first $113,700 and nothing more. That's a prime example of regressive.
No, it is not. Your benefits would be capped, as well. In fact, you would receive FAR LESS back in SS benefits than you paid into the system throughout your working years. That has been true for higher income earners since the 1990s. That FACT is documented by the SSA. Read the AP article I linked. The SSA ADMITS that this, in fact, is true.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Our dear Marxist leader watching out for the little guy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/bu....html?hp&_r=1&
You cons love regressive taxes. So what's the problem?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Just like the Bush tax cuts...
You mean those tax cuts that were not offset by an equal amount of reduced government spending?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
You cons love regressive taxes. So what's the problem?
Payroll taxes aren't regressive. The Medicare tax is paid on all taxable income. The SS tax is capped, but everyone LOSES money on SS except the low-income. The SSA has already admitted that.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Payroll taxes aren't regressive. The Medicare tax is paid on all taxable income. The SS tax is capped, but everyone LOSES money on SS except the low-income. The SSA has already admitted that.
I don't think you quite covered who loses the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies