Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You are uninformed person....but that is extremely obvious in your posting.

The link was in the post, yes 500 guns a day are stolen....

But, just in case you missed it:

Mayors Against Illegal Guns - Reporting Lost and Stolen Guns

I was speaking to the ATF numbers, but glad to see you're using the Mayors Against Illegal Guns website, they have some good information. The 600,000 came out of a poll but even if it's inaccurate that is a rather big number, do you think that too many unqualified people might have guns. What is the solution to cut down on stolen guns, certainly not more guns, we already have 8 guns for every 10 people.

If you read through the next link down you will see that stolen handguns account for 25 % of the trafficking investigations, yet well over half of the guns used in a crime are from licensed dealers according to Johns Hopkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I was speaking to the ATF numbers, but glad to see you're using the Mayors Against Illegal Guns website, they have some good information. The 600,000 came out of a poll but even if it's inaccurate that is a rather big number, do you think that too many unqualified people might have guns. What is the solution to cut down on stolen guns, certainly not more guns, we already have 8 guns for every 10 people.

If you read through the next link down you will see that stolen handguns account for 25 % of the trafficking investigations, yet well over half of the guns used in a crime are from licensed dealers according to Johns Hopkins.
So, now you want to redistribute the guns, as well as the wealth? It doesn't matter if there is 1 gun per person in the United States, if someone wants to legally purchase a firearm you don't have any right or reason to keep them from doing so.

The solution to stolen guns is to actually prosecute the people who steal them, and take the criminals who are likely to steal them off of the streets. The current revolving door system that we have for violent criminals is idiotic. It should be simple; if you commit a violent crime involving a firearm, you go to prison until you are too old to be out committing crimes. Instead, we've got people who commit firearms crimes and are back out on the streets in less time than it takes to get a college degree. Start treating criminals as criminals instead of victims, start punishing them appropriately for breaking existing laws, and stop trying to punish those of us who obey the laws in order to pass legislation that is not only useless, but is also absolutely unnecessary.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The clueless anti-gun folks probably think buying guns is like buying anything else. Walk into the store, load up your cart with firearms and ammo and head on over to the self-checkout line.

Would you like paper or plastic?
I can't speak for all of course but a female poster here in guns and hobbies thought that was exactly how you would go about buying a gun.

In the gun and hobbies room she was asking about what gun to go buy... When the conversation turned out to be go buy on line and have the gun shipped to her city apt, she was informed that wasn't how it worked at all, and somewhere any on line dealer(s) were going to have to ship her purchase to a FFL Dealer where she could have to fill out the 4473 form and pass NICS or Brady.....

That changed it all quick and i think she settled for a stick......

I have no idea what it's like to be like city dwellers are..... I have no idea what i would do about a gun or wanting one if i were a city dweller.... I just can't even imagine, while I did spend some years in Boston and in Miami, Daytona (not really a city)

But by then I had guns anyway. For my whole life I had access to guns since before i can remember, and i have hunted for so long as i can remember. Age 5....

Not until crime came to NH, and close to my place did I ever buy any gun more fit for SD than hunting.

Then grabbers really came on strong in 1994 and that just toasted my ass and I began to buy black guns just because i didn't like grabbers.

My heart revolves around single shot flintlocks, BUT.............. I know better than to think I can use a flintlock in any home invasion, and I already suffered one of those by a 6 time loser... wanted for 6 more crimes.

The grabbers I like least are the ones who in fact own AK's and BAR's....... WTF is that about?

People like Chuck Dianne, Nancy who have hard to get carry permits and real tax paid body guards too!

Oh Boy, if there is any type of people I don't like it's gotta be Elite hypocrites.

That 'OH I am Elite and can own what I want and do as I please, but YOU must obey, as I say! just doesn't sit in my craw really well..

And like yesterday it tends to come from a fool who is incapable of pumping their own damned GAS!

Maybe it's because I am old school NH and I just do what ever it is I need done and i don't hire anyone unless they can do an job better than I can, and there really isn't anyone I hire so that should be telling.

Surgeon Heal thy self Been dare, dun dat, git me de T shirt too...

Unless I need to be scraped off the ground I don't need anyone but my WIFE

There is a few things I can't do no matter what

Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Why do some people always propose laws that limit those who are much less likely to commit crime? Remember the general population is 8 times more like to commit murders than law abiding citizens.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why do some people always propose laws that limit those who are much less likely to commit crime? Remember the general population is 8 times more like to commit murders than law abiding citizens.
I don't understand the difference of general population compared to law abiding citizens. Would they not be the same thing?

Am I not both at the same time? Well for now anyway

Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
I have many guns, none of which I have ever filled out any form. I have sold and traded many guns, never filled out any form. Many of my guns were handed down generations.

Everyone wants my M-1925 trench broom and my M-1918A2

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have many guns, none of which I have ever filled out any form. I have sold and traded many guns, never filled out any form. Many of my guns were handed down generations.

Everyone wants my M-1925 trench broom and my M-1918A2
You really know how to hurt a guy don't you! I do have 2 Model 12's civy guns, and one is in 16ga the other in 12.. That's as close as i get to the broom..

Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't understand the difference of general population compared to law abiding citizens. Would they not be the same thing?

Am I not both at the same time? Well for now anyway
It's not law abiding citizens that have a lower crime rate when compared to the general population. It is conceal carry holders that do, but conceal carry holders have to obey the law or they risk losing their license. When they do break the law it is recorded into state statistical databases and compared yearly to the general population.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's not law abiding citizens that have a lower crime rate when compared to the general population. It is conceal carry holders that do, but conceal carry holders have to obey the law or they risk losing their license. When they do break the law it is recorded into state statistical databases and compared yearly to the general population.
Thanks I didn't know that, but i have a NH version of a ccw. Stands to reason i guess... I try hard to not break laws. Last speeding ticket i got was in 1984.... can't say the same about parking tickets, but i swear i didn't know the parking lane next to the National Zoo in Dc was a inbound lane at 3:00pm. They had these black boxes up on posts..

And then I got my ticket before the time... That ticket was written with a incorrect time on it, on purpose and I had NH plates. I felt it was unjust.... Cost plenty too and i paid it. Big criminal i am huh

Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why am I suddenly reminded of the Beanie Baby craze?
Is there talk of some law attempting to keep you from selling your Beanie Baby collection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies