U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

19,634 posts, read 12,449,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well hopefully Congress will do the right thing and require universal background checks on all gun sales, including private sales to make it easier to track those that sell guns to people who use them for crimes.

I can live with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM

34,310 posts, read 18,592,757 times
Quote:
No one is making you buy a gun, so if you wish to buy a gun, you should have to pay for the background check. Now if you wish to be held accountable if that gun is used in a crime, then I guess you don't need to worry about background checks.
But I can....and you want me to pay extra money, because I can?

So, let me ask you this, as a CCW holder, I have had a back ground check, paid the money to have a back ground check, if I get in trouble, my CCW is revoked....

Now I trade with another person who has the same CCW in the same state as me, do I still need a another back ground check?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You'd end up paying for it either way. Nothing is free. You either pay for it directly, or you pay via your taxes.

What I find amusing (disturbing?) is that generally speaking, the same group of people who are demanding universal background checks, gun registries, massive taxes on ammo, etc., are the very same people who are adamantly opposed to requiring a photo ID demonstrating a legal right to vote, even if those IDs are issued without charge by the state. They require that someone be able to exercise their right to vote without a single impediment, no matter how minor, but they are doing everything they can to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to exercise the rights guaranteed by the 2nd.

Hypocrites, all of them.
Yes, Exactlly....

Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM

10,179 posts, read 6,280,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dude, not sure why you are upset by the gun grabbers.

Sell now to the panicking sheep, wait a year and buy them back for 1/2 what you sold them for.

Ditto for spare ammunition.

I've been going to gun shows off and on for over 30 years with my dad and we are both laughing our butts off at the frenzied stupidity. I mean, sweet baby J....they learned nothing from 2008 either when then got fleeced.
In the next year there will be some REALLY nice deals on AR's for sure. Well that is if nothing crazy happens... I keep thinking things are going to be okay then I see what happened in NY. Anything is possible.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But I can....and you want me to pay extra money, because I can?

So, let me ask you this, as a CCW holder, I have had a back ground check, paid the money to have a back ground check, if I get in trouble, my CCW is revoked....

Now I trade with another person who has the same CCW in the same state as me, do I still need a another back ground check?
A gun sale is a gun sale, even if it is a trade. I have never been a fan of doing only one background check and you are good for life. Things in life change and one could pose no danger one year but after a series of events make them a questionable candidate for being able to buy more guns.

Oh and in case you are gonna say, "well I already have guns if I fail it later." Then the government will know who they need to watch for potential dangers in the future that might actually help prevent mass murder shootings.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
A gun sale is a gun sale, even if it is a trade. I have never been a fan of doing only one background check and you are good for life. Things in life change and one could pose no danger one year but after a series of events make them a questionable candidate for being able to buy more guns..
But I have a current back ground check, this is a yearly thing in my state.

So, what "series of events would you recommend."

Quote:
Oh and in case you are gonna say, "well I already have guns if I fail it later." Then the government will know who they need to watch for potential dangers in the future that might actually help prevent mass murder shootings.
Yes, more laws to and moer government is the answer.....sorry, not gonna happen.

And in case you have not figured it out yet, criminals dont care about laws....

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM

11,401 posts, read 18,609,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
In the next year there will be some REALLY nice deals on AR's for sure. Well that is if nothing crazy happens... I keep thinking things are going to be okay then I see what happened in NY. Anything is possible.
That is what people said last panic buy also but there was never a flood of used AR or other after. As many Glock's there are out there especially G22 police trade in's they still hold their value pretty well. Guns usually hold their value pretty well.

I won't hold my breath to see a mass bargain of AR and stuff coming on the used market. They will at some point just get back to normal prices overall.

What peeves me is the state of the gun market in general terms, a Marlin 1984 pre 2007 is pushing $1000 because the newer ones have a bad reputation, Winchester rifles 30-30 fetch $1000 and more now that Winchester discontinued, Colt barely makes any handguns aymore so a King Cobra or Anaconda are fetching over $1000. Even a Ruger Blackhawk lists for $500 now.

American quality guns are either no longer made, scarce or just extremly pricey. Too many American made guns are made s***ty now like Marlin. S&W are doing well though, then again their revolvers are pricey also.

Colt, Marlin, Winchester the classic greats what happened to them?

And then there is the ammo situation.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But I have a current back ground check, this is a yearly thing in my state.

So, what "series of events would you recommend."

Yes, more laws to and moer government is the answer.....sorry, not gonna happen.

And in case you have not figured it out yet, criminals dont care about laws....
"Series of events" is a general term to say if one were to go crazy during over time, they shouldn't be able to buy a gun.

It is good that in your state you have to have a background check yearly for your CCW, this should be done with all gun sales, but at least your state is doing it annually, but they should be doing it annually with all gun owners, not just CCW holders.

Efficient laws are what is needed, like a Universal Background Check so that one can't just go to a state with lax laws to get their guns.

Criminals do not obey the law, that is why they are criminals. I am all for making it near impossible and easier to catch those that buy guns legally and then turn around to illegally sell them to criminals. Any way to make it easier for law enforcement to track down those people who are illegally supplying guns to criminals is a good thing when it comes to stopping the use of illegal guns.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 PM

15,202 posts, read 18,263,970 times
Quote:
A gun sale is a gun sale, even if it is a trade. I have never been a fan of doing only one background check and you are good for life. Things in life change and one could pose no danger one year but after a series of events make them a questionable candidate for being able to buy more guns.
I don't think you understand. Let me explain.

I don't know what state the other poster is in, but by reading their post, it sounds like the process is pretty much the same as here in Nevada.

In order to obtain my CFP (aka CCW) here in Nevada, I had to undergo a local background check, be fingerprinted and have a background check and my fingerprints run by the FBI. All of that came back clean, and my CFP was issued.

Now, if there's anything that comes up in my life that would disqualify me from owning or buying a firearm, the Sheriff's office will be notified, and they will physically come and take that plastic card away. In other words, as long as it's in my possession, that plastic card proves that I am in good standing with the law, and that I am legally permitted to own, possess, purchase and carry a firearm.

Also, the state of Nevada and the BATFE have agreed on that, and have issued a statement that formalizes that fact. When I buy a gun, I only need to fill out a form 4473 and show my CFP to the dealer, and I can walk out with the gun, without having to have a separate/new background check done.

I believe that this is the situation the person you were replying to was talking about. Now that you have all the information, you can consider whether or not you want to change your answer to his question.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM

10,866 posts, read 11,940,590 times
I was at Cabela's today to pickup a new Ruger pistol that I've been having a hard time finding. Snagged the last one they had and noticed a bunch of people crowding around some AR's that had come in. I decided, what the hell, and asked if they had anymore. The salesman said he has one left so I snatched it up at retail price.

Per the salesman, the mad rush on guns has slowed quite a bit this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies