Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,107,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You never know when people are joking on CD, because we have so many nuts who say those things and mean it. If it was intended as a joke, there was no reason to give such a nasty response back to me.
My apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,198,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My apologies.
Accepted.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,991,080 times
Quote:
Have you ever seen idiots trying to drive after a couple of inches of snow or an ice storm in the south?
Like I said, I knew someone that was in Alabama and he pulled up to the Interstate and it was closed becsue of a few inches. LOL

I drove through Tennessee once across I-40 during a fairly large storm, I must of saw 30 cars in the ditch from one end of the state to the other.

Quote:
It has to do with an entire state dealing with a very unfamiliar situation,
It's not totally unfamiliar,we get snow here in the northeast. Just not a lot at once in most places. It's usually just a 1 to 5 inch deal every week or two.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,198,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Like I said, I knew someone that was in Alabama and he pulled up to the Interstate and it was closed becsue of a few inches. LOL

I drove through Tennessee once across I-40 during a fairly large storm, I must of saw 30 cars in the ditch from one end of the state to the other.

It's not totally unfamiliar,we get snow here in the northeast. Just not a lot at once in most places. It's usually just a 1 to 5 inch deal every week or two.
You're right--they don't have a good handle on the "you can't hit the brakes on ice or snow packed roads" thing in that part of the country. You guys are getting hammered out east. If we got three foot of snow they might shut our roads down too. I'm just wondering where they're going to put the snow when they try to plow it off the roads.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,467,419 times
It is an empty gesture. Oh, sure they COULD jail the offenders, but they won't. I mean when 90 percent of the drivers ignore speed limits, what hope is there for any other government decree? I only hope that they simply ram the stranded cars out of the way so that the road clearing can be done. Why in the WORLD should taxpayers fork out a cent for putting up idiots in the jails. Let them freeze and perish in their cars in the ditch. That's the law of the jungle, the only one they are worthy of.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,680,655 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering where they're going to put the snow when they try to plow it off the roads.
Here's how the Canadians do it

O Canada...[Original Video] - YouTube

Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,107,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Here's how the Canadians do it

O Canada...[Original Video] - YouTube
That's a pretty impressive system. Slow, however. But I can't imagine a faster way.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 PM

45,266 posts, read 60,412,429 times
With the snow totals they were talking it will be weeks before things get back to "normal" as far as clear shoulders and open drainage. Jurisdictions used to be able to haul the snow away and dump it into rivers, that's frowned upon now, but Baltimore was able to do it 2 years ago when the mid-Atlantic was hit by a similar storm. Along the Bay we weren't allowed to do it so we took the snow to an empty parking lot and it melted away over the course of the next several weeks. One thing that may happen is localized flooding if it rains or really warms up, storm sewer inlets will be blocked by the snow.

To go back to the original "thought" of the thread, this comes under the public safety duties and authority of the Governor. Declaring a State of Emergency allows him to activate the National Guard and have those units deployed for road clearing and rescue operations if they're so equipped. Having them out also helps to cut down on the stupid behavior syndrome that some people develop in weather events. There's nothing like a major snowfall or hurricane to cause the "This Is A Stupid Idea" switch to become inoperative in some people's brains.

As a note, most military helicopters are black now so don't freak out if you see some in the air surveying the scene.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,410,150 times
When there is three feet of snow on the road in a broke, liberal state full of people too stupid to stay off the road and who then expect the government to rescue them from their own stupidity and whose families will sue the same government when their loved one end up frozen like a Popsicle on the side of the road...

Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,406,185 times
The problem is when they over react and take drastic measures each and every time.
After a while the people will not take it seriously.

There's a picture in this article of a woman shoveling snow. If you look closely she is shoveling out here car and it looks like the plows had come by and piled the snow right up on her car. I guess they have to find their shock and awe where they can.

The big dig-out: New England, NY slammed with snow - Yahoo! News
In New York, where Central Park recorded 11 inches, not even enough to make the Top 10 list, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the city "dodged a bullet" and its streets were "in great shape."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies