Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
No, they can ban travel on public roads.

They can't ban you from leaving your house and traveling whenever or however, as long as you don't utilize a regulated form if travel on public thoroughfares.

Unless they declare martial law...

So say you have a snow machine, you can drive. Or if you could make it from point a to b on private roads in your truck they can't stop you. Or you can walk down the street.
It is called police power and it is something that they can do in a state of emergency for the good of the public. I have seen it happen before in Virginia, growing up there, when a hurricane or a Nor'easter would come through. It is to limit the number of people out on the roads and make it safer for everyone, including the emergency workers who should not have to risk their lives saving a moron who didn't know they should be staying at home instead of driving around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,126,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is called police power and it is something that they can do in a state of emergency for the good of the public. I have seen it happen before in Virginia, growing up there, when a hurricane or a Nor'easter would come through. It is to limit the number of people out on the roads and make it safer for everyone, including the emergency workers who should not have to risk their lives saving a moron who didn't know they should be staying at home instead of driving around.
They can't make you leave.

Name one person ever charged for not leaving their home during a hurricane.

Police cannot compel you just because of your safety. Even in a state of emergency.

The reason they insist is because they won't come back to help you.

As to driving, I just said what you are trying to say...

Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
They can't make you leave.

Name one person ever charged for not leaving their home during a hurricane.

Police cannot compel you just because of your safety. Even in a state of emergency.

The reason they insist is because they won't come back to help you.

As to driving, I just said what you are trying to say...
When their is a state of an emergency and there is calls to stay off the road as well as closing down roads (which this is something that has happened in just about every state at one point or another) it is for the safety of the public.

If you choose to ignore those warnings, then it is probably because that person is an idiot.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,816,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Um, mr. "nanny state" I was being aggressively passed, in the dark around Christmas near Des Moines Iowa while there were snow packed roads and literally dozens upon dozens of cars in the ditch. I gave up and stayed overnight in a hotel.

So let me ask you this. And please don't lie....do you EVER complain about idiots out driving or otherwise making terribly poor decisions?

You better believe I complain about people. I complain about them all the time! That doesn't mean I want some bureaucrat to dictate to them because a one size fits all declaration seldom is one size fits all.

BTW, I went through Des Moines back in 2009 (I think) on like the 23rd of Dec, on my way to 25 miles across the Illinois border pick up a snow blower I just bought off ebay at a steal of a deal. Drove in blizzard conditions. People went off the road on both sides of the interstate. Saw a semi go off the road a couple miles east of Des Moines & hit a pillar to an overpass. Destroyed the truck & trailer. Felt bad for the person & they probably died. I kept going because I had a snow blower to get. Drove in blizzard conditions up until 40-50 miles from Illinois. Came back through the next day. Still icy as all get out. Truck and trailer debris was still there. I bet there were literally a hundred or more people whose vehicles were still in the ditch as I came back across I-80 West then I-35 South heading home. My hometown had 18"-24" of snow.

I prepared for a worst case scenario trip where I might get stranded. I had water, food, appropriate clothes, gloves, hat, ski mask, sleeping bag, space blankets, pillows, chemical heat pads, boots, a 2nd pair of waterproof extreme weather boots, candles, flashlight, batteries, cell phone, spare cell battery, a box of lawn trash bags, rubber bands, tools, small air compressor, snow tires, snow chains (not mounted because I didn't need them) and jumper cables. Should I have been punished by a one size fits all nanny state declaration that closed all the roads? Should I have been denied providing that snowblower's ability to 4 blocks worth of my neighbors (mainly elderly) to help them get out of their driveways & clear their sidewalks for an extra 2 days because of a one size fits all nanny state declaration that closed all the roads?

A one size fits all policy is only good for the one making the policy. It does not take into account the needs and abilities of those who are capable. A one size fits all policy will ALWAYS reduce everyone to the lowest common denominator, forcing the capable to wait for the government to save them when instead, they could have been a part of the solution with their abilities.

I understand the intent of the policy. I understand they may feel it is the best SINGLE solution. I refuse to accept that LAZY solution when it limits people from doing good in a bad situation.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
You better believe I complain about people. I complain about them all the time! That doesn't mean I want some bureaucrat to dictate to them because a one size fits all declaration seldom is one size fits all.

BTW, I went through Des Moines back in 2009 (I think) on like the 23rd of Dec, on my way to 25 miles across the Illinois border pick up a snow blower I just bought off ebay at a steal of a deal. Drove in blizzard conditions. People went off the road on both sides of the interstate. Saw a semi go off the road a couple miles east of Des Moines & hit a pillar to an overpass. Destroyed the truck & trailer. Felt bad for the person & they probably died. I kept going because I had a snow blower to get. Drove in blizzard conditions up until 40-50 miles from Illinois. Came back through the next day. Still icy as all get out. Truck and trailer debris was still there. I bet there were literally a hundred or more people whose vehicles were still in the ditch as I came back across I-80 West then I-35 South heading home. My hometown had 18"-24" of snow.

I prepared for a worst case scenario trip where I might get stranded. I had water, food, appropriate clothes, gloves, hat, ski mask, sleeping bag, space blankets, pillows, chemical heat pads, boots, a 2nd pair of waterproof extreme weather boots, candles, flashlight, batteries, cell phone, spare cell battery, a box of lawn trash bags, rubber bands, tools, small air compressor, snow tires, snow chains (not mounted because I didn't need them) and jumper cables. Should I have been punished by a one size fits all nanny state declaration that closed all the roads? Should I have been denied providing that snowblower's ability to 4 blocks worth of my neighbors (mainly elderly) to help them get out of their driveways & clear their sidewalks for an extra 2 days because of a one size fits all nanny state declaration that closed all the roads?

A one size fits all policy is only good for the one making the policy. It does not take into account the needs and abilities of those who are capable. A one size fits all policy will ALWAYS reduce everyone to the lowest common denominator, forcing the capable to wait for the government to save them when instead, they could have been a part of the solution with their abilities.

I understand the intent of the policy. I understand they may feel it is the best SINGLE solution. I refuse to accept that LAZY solution when it limits people from doing good in a bad situation.
Comparing Iowa to Ct is idiotic. 1.5 million live in less than 1,000 sq miles in Southern Ct..the Gold Coast..amongst the highest US median incomes, and disproportinately high GDP, corp hqs. That I95 must be cleared by Monday morning. It cannot be done with a repeat of 78 blizzard, cars left by the thousands on I95..I lived through that. It cost our economy days of productivity.

Now if you want to compare Iowa to Montana, that is a valid comparison. But to compare 2 regions with immense differences in people per sq mile, GDP per sq mile, which means economic impact per sq mile, is insane.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,126,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
When their is a state of an emergency and there is calls to stay off the road as well as closing down roads (which this is something that has happened in just about every state at one point or another) it is for the safety of the public.

If you choose to ignore those warnings, then it is probably because that person is an idiot.
Well, this IS America.

People are free to be idiotic if they so choose.

What is it to you??? Why are people dying to control other people?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,210,539 times
From the article, it looks like the roads are closed for clean-up

Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,210,539 times
Quote:
Well, this IS America.

People are free to be idiotic if they so choose.

What is it to you??? Why are people dying to control other people?
What's your opinion on post-hurricane curfew?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What's your opinion on post-hurricane curfew?
It's complete BS because it ASSUMES everyone is incapable without the almighty government's help. The most arrogant part of that concept is those people in government refuse to accept that their neighbor could POSSIBLY be as capable or more capable at helping than they are.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Been there, done that. Only I call it psychic driving. Or when you have to feel your way by the edge of the road, I call that driving by braille. It happens a lot during break-up when mud completely obscures your vision and overwhelms your windshield-wipers.

I love winters in Alaska, primarily because the 850,000 tourists that packed the State during the summer have all gone home. Finally, we get the State back for Alaskans.

Tell me something Glitch, do you sit there, like a useless bump on a log, waiting for your government to come rescue you every time you get some heavy snow or some ice or a blizzard of clueless idiot reporters looking for the next scoop on Sarah? My guess is the answer is no. My guess is you and most people around you aren't dependent upon the government to fix all of life's boo-boos.

I bet a lot of those people on the east coast won't even go out & clear the snow on their sidewalks. They'll sit there, waiting for the government to "Hep" them. Do you remember that gal sitting on the roof after Katrina yelling, "Hep me... HEP me!!!"

I think it is sad that people have listened to politicians telling them how the government can FIX the problems they face in their lives. They have become so accustomed to hearing it, they actually believe it, then when it comes later than expected, they somehow think the government has failed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies