Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Nope, you pay for police to protect you but they don't have to...
Do the police plow the roads?

We ARE talking about roads being closed and travel being restricted.

We are NOT talking about police.

Yet another strawman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Alert: Road travel banned in Massachusetts after 4pm

I don't like the precedent. To ban all Motor Vehicle traffic statewide is ridiculous and I don't think the government has any right to do so, especially for something relatively minor such as a snow storm.

WTF are you talking about. It is a state highway, they decide if and when and what hoops you have to jump. And they have to dig your sorry ass out if you get trapped.

Some people and their rights. Next thing I'll hear is that you have a right to **** in the corner of a courtroom.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
So using your words, can I ASSUME that you're OK with the government completely denying citizens the use of those roads for a day... a week... a month... a year... or maybe 10 years?

We should no longer expect personal responsibility or individual accountability from anyone? Will the government take care of all our wants and needs from cradle to grave?

Who in that government will be held accountable if it FAILS to prevent the death of even a single person, if that death could have been prevented by a family member or neighbor but was not simply because the government issued a blanket, one size fits all declaration of, "Vee know vats bezt fer you, so Vee vill diktate it to you vile Vee protekt you vrom your selv!"

Again I find this wrong on so many levels.
Of course you do. YOUR scenario extrapolates some kind of armaggedon from a simple 'state of emergency' declaration. A state of emergency warning lets people know that roads are not yet safe to drive. When said declaration is lifted, people know it is relatively safe to venture out to the store or wherever they need to go.

I've thought before, and still do, how horrible it must be to think like a conservative; in a constant state of fear and paranoia. Can't be much of a life.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I see. You're assuming I've lived in San Diego all my life, and nowhere else, is that it?

(Did somebody mention "no credibility"?)

Back to the subject:
So, you expect us to let some third party who isn't here with us, decide for us that the trip we need to make is "not important"? Somebody who decides, without knowing anything about what's going on in our house, that the trip we want to make is just "for butter"?

No wonder Obama won. If people with your level of wisdom and understanding are as common as he seems to think, he's got a lock on the next five elections.

Can everyone else see what we're dealing with here? If people like this mouthy ignoramous are the ones who think they should be making these decisions for us, I can think of no better advertisement for the reasons liberalism is a terrible way to govern.

I'll make the decisions on whether I think I need to go out in blizzards like this, thanks anyway.

And if I think I need your "opinion" on the matter... at that point I'll need to get my head examined.
State Government can absolutely do this. Roads are Government owned and vehicular travel is a State regulated privilege.

You can still go out, can still do whatever you'd like, you just can't use a motor vehicle to do it on government roads.

Read, or reread, the Constitution of the US and see for yourself how legal this is.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
WTF are you talking about. It is a state highway, they decide if and when and what hoops you have to jump. And they have to dig your sorry ass out if you get trapped.

Some people and their rights. Next thing I'll hear is that you have a right to **** in the corner of a courtroom.
Vehicular travel on Government owned roads isn't a right, it's a State regulated privilege.

I see that you know this, but please don't lump that guy in with "some people and their rights", clearly he doesn't understand his, and our rights aren't something to be mocked either.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Are you saying this precedent was around before 1930?
I would guess that the precedent would have started in the early 1900s when most states formed departments of transportation to assume responsibility for maintaining roads.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
State Government can absolutely do this. Roads are Government owned and vehicular travel is a State regulated privilege.

You can still go out, can still do whatever you'd like, you just can't use a motor vehicle to do it on government roads.

Read, or reread, the Constitution of the US and see for yourself how legal this is.
, citizens were still free to walk on public roads to their hearts content during the storm.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
, citizens were still free to walk on public roads to their hearts content during the storm.
Actually, walking or biking on certain highways is prohibited in my state, even without a storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies