Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What a bunch of buffoons. They want to 'raise awareness'? Did they ever stop to think that nobody freaking cares about what they do in their bedrooms? I don't shove my lifestyle in their faces, and I would thank them to do the same. Standing around on street corners with signs makes them look like desperate panhandlers.

The restaurant owner shouldn't have told them why he was refusing service, though. Why do shop owners think they need to make statements? Just say, "Nope, no can do."
Clearly, you're overly sensitive. Show us when & where any gay person comes up to you or anyone else & starts describing their sex life in the bedroom. I bet however, you do.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If I ran a business, I'd serve anyone with money as long as they're not hurting my business.

I have gotten kicked out of businesses for the way I dressed and other superficialities that I attributed to me being a foreigner. You know what? I took it as a great sign I didn't waste my money and moved somewhere else to waste my money. I don't want to give someone money who doesn't like me.

I don't get this mommy america nonsense by forcing everyone to like eachother. It doesn't work.

Again, you're making waaaaaaaayyyyy too much sense zombie. At any rate, I worked in clubs where they had a long list of attire that was prohibited such as white t's, dew rags, saggy pants, hoodies, ect..ect...

At any rate, like you, why should I give my money to someone who doesn't like me? In the end, you're still the one losing, because you're the one that is getting discriminated against, but yet the fool that is doing the discriminating is taking your money, and laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Although its not a restaurant, I am a small business owner. I would be plum-crazy, loony-toons INSANE to turn away anyone who shows up looking to give me some business, be they gay, straight, black, white, male, female, Christian, Jewish, atheist, Martian, or otherwise.

I would not be in business long if I did.
I'm a firm believer in keeping my personal beliefs out of my professional life for the most part. I will act with integrity but I would never turn away a conservative, a Christian or anyone else I may not agree with. It's really bad business sense to do so. Not to mention the ethical and moral issues it creates.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
His "rights"? or "discrimination"? Imagine if he said he didn't want to serve "black people".
I suspect the OP would be applauding that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yeah yeah... but again, why go somewhere where I'm not wanted? It's really quite simple... if the business owner is an a-hole, and you feel strongly about it, then don't patronize that business. Take your money elsewhere where you will be appreciated for your patronage! Money talks! And in the end you're still losing, because if you have to force him to comply, then he is taking your money, and more than likely STILL discriminating against you!

If he is doing business with me, then how is he discriminating against me? He can think I'm a dumb, white ***** all he wants. But he doesn't have the right to refuse accommodations to me.

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
This subject is becoming tiring...the same old story. Business owner refuses to serve gays.
Temporarily, the business owners will get media attention and a slew of business. But in the long run, I have to believe business like this will die out. Not because they don't have rights to refuse (they do), but because the general public and majority will just go somewhere else.

Its really no different than in the 50s when a store owner put "no blacks" signs in the window. Gradually, the majority of humanity goes elsewhere. Except for a few handfuls of locals and dedicated clients.
In this case I don't think he even discriminated against gay people. He didn't want them hosting that political advocacy group inside his restaurant but if two gays went there clearly on date, my money is he'd serve them.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Being black isn't immoral.
Being a bigot is immoral.

Being gay is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If he is doing business with me, then how is he discriminating against me? He can think I'm a dumb, white ***** all he wants. But he doesn't have the right to refuse accommodations to me.
Yes he does, and he'd kick your white ass out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
There's that entitlement mentality. Unbelievable!

Just because you want something doesn't mean you will get it or more importantly
deserve it.

People need to grow up and focus on what's really important and its not some restaurant
that decides to say no to homo's.

What's really important is people not being discriminated against. And yes, my dear, everyone is entitled to be treated fairly.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Being a bigot is immoral.

Being gay is not.
Everyone is a bigot.

Case in point, you probably don't like pedophiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies