Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Homosexuality and Heterosexuality is defined by your behavior not innate urges.

For example, when someone says someone is a good person, it references their behavior. Maybe they have dark feelings, but if they behave good, they're good.

One thing to ponder, what does it mean for a person to be homosexual if he lives a heterosexual lifestyle and identifies as a heterosexual? How does one discriminate against him?

A black person is recognized 99% of the time before he opens his mouth, or even displays a certain behavior. A black person can try his hardest to be white but he will always be viewed as black. One is discriminated against due to his appearance, one that he can't realistically change. The other is discriminated against due to his behavior which he can change.
You make am excellent argument. I can't refute it at all...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I didn't say public business.

I said private business.

Businesses are not public unless they are a public corporation.

I know what the law says. The Civil Rights Act, while morally correct, is unconstitutional...
You have exactly zero idea what you are talking about.

A private business operating a public accomodation (restaurant, airport, tailor shop) cannot discriminate on the basis or race or gender and in many places sexual preference.

Aren't you embarrassed to continue to pontificate and be completely wrong?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
I didn't say public business.

I said private business.

Businesses are not public unless they are a public corporation.

I know what the law says. The Civil Rights Act, while morally correct, is unconstitutional...

If you conduct a business that has a reasonable expectation of serving the public - restaurants, bookstores, bars, sporting goods stores, etc - then it is classified as a public business.

The Civil Rights Act is not unconstitutional.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If you conduct a business that has a reasonable expectation of serving the public - restaurants, bookstores, bars, sporting goods stores, etc - then it is classified as a public business.

The Civil Rights Act is not unconstitutional.
There are many judges, several Supreme Court justices, many professors and many legal scholars that disagree with you.

But then I'm guessing you are a constitutional scholar...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Quote:
Behavior. See my post above this.

You don't have rights to anyone elses services or business. That's called slavery and is more immoral than discrimination.

If there are tax breaks for business, we can have it so businesses who discriminate lose them, we cannot however have them serve people who they don't want. Like I said, it's slavery and more immoral than discrimination.
It's more complex than saying behavior. Here is a scientific study:

Quote:
"This study puts cold water on any concerns that we are looking for a single 'gay gene' or a single environmental variable which could be used to 'select out' homosexuality -- the factors which influence sexual orientation are complex. And we are not simply talking about homosexuality here -- heterosexual behavior is also influenced by a mixture of genetic and environmental factors," study co-author Dr. Qazi Rahman, a leading scientist on human sexual orientation, said in a prepared statement. Environmental factors are specific to an individual and may include biological processes such as different hormone exposure in the womb, the researchers noted.
Genetics, Environment Shape Sexual Behavior - US News and World Report

The article goes on to cite that about 35% of sexual orientation is genetically driven.

And if you include environmental processes such as "different hormone exposure" in the womb, it is pretty difficult to see how the baby has any control over that.

It's always easier to find simple answers to complex questions--but rarely do they take into account the interrelatedness of many processes nor how they will impact people.

That's why we make choices about MORALITY, and how you define morality is in itself complex. Does religion control your moral view? Does basic fairness control your moral view?

So if everyone in one community made a decision to provide NO services to one particular individual, whether it was for race or ethnicity or sexual orientation--it would be slavery to "force" them to sell food and prescription drugs to someone the wished not to sell to---regardless of how that impacted the one individual?

I think I get it now, Zombie. You are a throwback to the middle ages when that is EXACTLY the kind of behavior that took place. Nice to see the immorality of the past is still evident in the present. A reminder to all as to WHY we need a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
There are many judges, several Supreme Court justices, many professors and many legal scholars that disagree with you.

But then I'm guessing you are a constitutional scholar...

I'm not a constitutional scholar but I know a thing or two about history, the Constitution and the civil rights movement.

Now, would you care to discuss that or continue with inane, immature silliness?

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Homosexuality and Heterosexuality is defined by your behavior not innate urges.
Wrong. Homosexuality, heterosexuality, and bisexuality are sexual orientations. It has nothing to do with "behavior."

You are not the official spokesperson of The American Psychological Association, The American Psychiatric Association, The American Sociological Association, The American Academy of Pediatrics, The American Anthropological Association, or dozens of other scientific organizations and institutions ... so stop trying to push your own theories as fact.

3,168 posts, read 2,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It's more complex than saying behavior. Here is a scientific study:

Genetics, Environment Shape Sexual Behavior - US News and World Report

The article goes on to cite that about 35% of sexual orientation is genetically driven.

And if you include environmental processes such as "different hormone exposure" in the womb, it is pretty difficult to see how the baby has any control over that.

It's always easier to find simple answers to complex questions--but rarely do they take into account the interrelatedness of many processes nor how they will impact people.

That's why we make choices about MORALITY, and how you define morality is in itself complex. Does religion control your moral view? Does basic fairness control your moral view?

So if everyone in one community made a decision to provide NO services to one particular individual, whether it was for race or ethnicity or sexual orientation--it would be slavery to "force" them to sell food and prescription drugs to someone the wished not to sell to---regardless of how that impacted the one individual?

I think I get it now, Zombie. You are a throwback to the middle ages when that is EXACTLY the kind of behavior that took place. Nice to see the immorality of the past is still evident in the present. A reminder to all as to WHY we need a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.
It's real tiresome to repeat myself. I admitted I believe attraction is primarily biological. But having sex is a choice and behavior.

A lot of pedophiles have a sexual attraction to children. They have to repress these urges to live in this society. Just because you have a urge doesn't mean you have to act on it.

Not comparing homosexuality to pedophiles, but there is no reason for gay men to have sex with other men if they don't want to.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Wrong. Homosexuality, heterosexuality, and bisexuality are sexual orientations. It has nothing to do with "behavior."

You are not the official spokesperson of The American Psychological Association, The American Psychiatric Association, The American Sociological Association, The American Academy of Pediatrics, The American Anthropological Association, or dozens of other scientific organizations and institutions ... so stop trying to push your own theories as fact.
A sexual orientation is defined by who you have sex with and your identity. All of which are behaviors.

A 'homosexual' who identifies as straight and has sex with women will never be discriminated as a homosexual man. A black man who identifies as white will still be discriminated against as a black man and probably be viewed as insane.

Do you see the difference? Of course not, pretending to be stupid for the sake of "winning" an argument on the net is more important.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It's real tiresome to repeat myself. I admitted I believe attraction is primarily biological. But having sex is a choice and behavior.

A lot of pedophiles have a sexual attraction to children. They have to repress these urges to live in this society. Just because you have a urge doesn't mean you have to act on it.

Not comparing homosexuality to pedophiles, but there is no reason for gay men to have sex with other men if they don't want to.

Why wouldn't a gay man want to have sex with another man??

I want to have sex with a man because I'm a straight woman. The reason? I'm a human female attracted to a human male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.